savageshooter

Power outage yesterday got me thinking about being prepared

I was home during a break from work when the power went out yesterday around 4:00. I drove down to my next job in Sea Girt at 7:00 PM and rode the ocean. It was interesting seeing the pizza places and other joints in Belmar operating without power. People just milling about taking all in.

I wrapped up work around 8:00 and took rt. 35 home. Going through Belmar and over the bridge was pretty wild. Roads were packed, and people were driving like animals. The roads turned into a raceway park. There were flares guiding drivers over the rt. 35 bridge. It was kind of surreal.

I got to my town and saw that the Police were not letting anyone in, including residents. I snuck around and did a wrong way on a one way street to get home. I live in a pretty densely populated town with a high crime area right next door. I arrived home and made my way through the pitch black into the house. People were out with flashlights just as you would expect during anything like this.

About an hour later things started to get a bit, how should I say......well, the atmosphere became a little tense. Small groups of people were walking the streets being kind of loud. My girlfriend and I were outside, and she walked a block or so away. I stopped her and asked her to get back to the house. I just didn't feel safe. We went back in the house and I kept my gear close by. I'm old enough to remember the infamous 1977 blackout in NYC when looters were breaking store windows and stealing everything.

I'm not normally a paranoid type of guy, although I do tend to be a bit over protective when it comes to people I care about. It was only 4-5 hours without power, but his small event did get me thinking about a potential bigger picture. I heard someone say once that every society is just 3 missed meals away from anarchy. Kind of makes sense after witnessing the way people were driving last night without traffic lights. A bit of a panic going on just because people couldn't get where they wanted to go. I've seen a few events in my lifetime that required the National Guard; Katrina being one of them, the Rodney King riots in LA were actually making their way west, with groups of people copying the situation in several cities and the NYC blackout of 1977.

So what do you think, paranoid thinking or being realistically prepared?

Realistically prepared.

Every disaster and messed up situation that I have ever been in there was one occurring theme. People never thought of it ever happening. One thing that stuck with me from my tour in Iraq when we first invaded in 2003 was when I would talk to the locals and they would say they never saw it coming. They told me they were shocked at first to see troops on their own streets. I vowed never to be shocked or unprepared for anything that could happen be it riot, natural disaster, invasion of a foreign army, aliens or even zombies ;)

Saying "that will never happen here" about anything doesn't make it true.

I think that preparation in moderation is nowhere near being paranoid. It comes right down to "better safe than sorry". Having a couple hundred, if not a thousand rounds for each of your guns, having a couple weeks or a months worth of canned food and water in preparation for holding out....make sure you rotate the food and water with new cans. Just making sure you have at least BASIC materials and tools that would allow you to survive on your own for a couple weeks, in my opinion, is a smart thing. Like stated above, you NEVER know what will happen. Even growing yourself a vegetable garden, possibly a couple fruit trees in your back yard...its cheap to do. The key is to be able to maintain basic daily activities without ANY outside help.

+1

I've been on this disaster preparedness binge for the past few months, my wife got to thinking I'm a bit nuts. But the basics - food and water, first aid kids, emergency shelter... especially if you have kids to worry about like I do. there's tons of info about it online. I even bought some para-cord. I'm not sure why, but it seems like a part of every expert's survival kit. and definitely ammo. I'd say as much as you can afford to have lying around, and packed ready to go. in my case, that's about 100 rounds of hollowpoints for the PX4 & 100 rounds of 00 buck for the Mossy... I'm gonna try to stock up on more, as funds allow. maybe extra fuel. we can go on forever with this. I was actually waiting for some sort of realistic disaster preparedness thread to start on here, Ray Ray's Zombie thread notwithstanding.

Wojo, the "FNG from Passaic County" would probably have some useful stuff to add, if he'd be willing.

there was some forum somewhere I saw people put up pictures of their "bug out bags" and stuff. That would be cool on here.

Maybe some sort of mutual cooperation agreements between forum members... I dunno, just throwing stuff out there because I've been thinking about it.

For me its a couple cases of water, couple cases of military MRE's (which include matches), a box of glowing light sticks, ammo, 9mm, 12 gauge, mosin, kerosene heater + propane turkey fryer. We always have a stock of canned foods, med supplies, etc...just not dedicated in a pack. I'd like to add a generator to the mix just so I can keep the lights, fridges, and heat on in the house. We had a pretty long power outage last winter... maybe 18-20 hours? It got down into the 40s in the house overnight! I had the freakin NG stove and oven cranking in the kitchen to keep the place warm. I was about to go get the heaters and fire em up, but the power was restored. We made it ok that day without electric, but it woke me up to the fact that losing it pretty much shuts everything down. I think most active outdoorsy people have a lot of the essentials already covered, just not in a pack in the corner.

Good responses and ideas, thanks. Good to know I'm not alone in my thinking.

Regarding ammo; I read a story on nj.com a few months ago and they mentioned a guy getting arrested for some type of crime having an "arsenal" of 200 rds. of ammo in his house. To me that's just session at the range. If 200 rds. of ammo is an arsenal, we're all hardened criminals. Gotta love the media. I'm well stocked to say the least :wink:

A generator is a good investment, and one can be found for under $200. One thing I am lacking here is a shotty. Maybe an early Chistmas present to myself is in order.

sirsloop: I was thinking about MREs, any particular brand/flavor you recommend?

savageshooter: I just wrote in an email to another forum member today, where I was discussing preparedness and getting a shotgun (just got mine last Wednesday) :

if a moment ever comes that you think to yourself, "gee, I wish I had a shotgun right about now"... at that moment, it's too late.

Its good to see that others feel being prepared is a good idea.

I do STRONGLY agree that even just THINKING about being prepared is way more than half the battle. People that walk around totally oblivious, helpless, and reliant on outside sources will not last long at all. The mental aspect of it is absolutely necessary to survive.

I won't lie, I won't reveal my modest preparations (OPSEC). However, I'll discuss.

I've had the unique opportunity within the unique opportunity to see how things work behind the wizard of Oz's curtain. And, like SpecialK said, if anything, I've learned that nothing is impossible in the realm of misfortune.

I don't think there really is such a thing as preparation in moderation personally. The application of preparation (actually buying material goods, etc) is never ending, and is really just a matter of how much is needed for what type of scenario. In most cases, having as much as possible is a decent idea-- as in most cases, the initial best option is to "bug in," or stay in a familiar, secure location (aka home). The general time frame for Federal assistance is at least 72 hours-- if not longer depending on the region (depending on the severity of the crisis, Newark or Jersey City would probably get assistance before a town of a few hundred in the middle of the Pineys). So, having as much on hand to survive would probably be for the best (note there's never "too much" on hand).

But there are perishables that, well, perish quickly regardless-- water being the big one. Unless a person has their own personal well (preferably ground), most people dependent on the city lines will run out within approx. 24 hours (if not less depending on the amount of water used by the community). The first thing during a crisis, regardless of the [un]known extent of damages is to hoard what YOU can; by filling up every known receptacle... cups, tupperware, tubs, etc.

As for stocking up on ammunition in a crisis situation, ha, that's a whole topic of discussion in itself. I won't stir that hive yet.

And yea, I'd be interested to see what Mr. Wojo has to say about this-- sure he has far more knowledge then most of us.

ok, so we can agree not to divulge our own, specific "modest preparations" and mine are definitely "modest" compared to some, but I'd guess rather significant as compared to someone not prepared at all.

but an important subject that was touched is not just the actual "stuff" you've hoarded, but what are you able to do (skills) and what are you prepared/willing to do (mental attitude) to save yourself and most importantly, your loved ones.

and being responsible for children, that makes a big difference in my personal preparations. it's why the "bug out bag" I have prepared, other than ammo and whatever other survival necessities (food, tools, etc) has a small ziplock with little toys for my little ones.

I get the regular old brown military MRE's...

Case%20Gallery.JPG

I actually like them to be honest...LOL! The only one that doesn't really set well is the egg quiche one. I rotate them out too... usually end up eating about a case every other year. I take them on drunken trips and stuff where an MRE sounds effin delicious at 3am after binge drinking all day. I save the coffee/drink mix, cracker, and jam for the morning to kill the hangover ;)

Shotgun is cheap insurance, IMHO. If you think people are scared of a pistol, they are terrified of a shotgun. Much harder to miss with a shotty ;)

As far as a generator is concerned... I'm debating on a cheap gasoline one, or a NG generator permanently attached to my house's NG supply. In most cases you'll always have NG delivery, and if you have an automatic transfer switch the thing turns on automatically. You only need around a 10-12kW generator to take the load off a 100A 120V panel. That's a much more useful item as it kicks on when you have short outages automatically... and you can put essential items on a 5 minute UPS system to keep them on (PCs, etc). We do the same thing at work, just on a larger scale with a 120kW CAT diesel generator and 36hrs of fuel. Lol... with those gas ones... just about the time you need a generator you'll realize you are out of gas, the stations are shut down or not accessible, or something else wacky happens (flooding, tree down in road, zombies blocking the way, etc)

Lol... I have enough beer and wine in my place to keep me fat for like a YEAR! HAHA! Water is def the #1 essential commodity. If you can collect and purify it you are better off than hoarding mass amounts.

You are right, you can never be too prepared. Being prepared costs money, so you come up with a budget and see what fits. If all you can afford is some gallon jugs of reserve water and a few cases of raimen that you rotate out with regular use... so be it. If you have 50 grand to spend on being prepared then get a backup generator, solar panels, water purification systems, food stores, medical supplies, radios, etc etc.

Those with pets... don't forget them!! I keep 60lbs of dog food on hand and buy one as I use one.

I sort of dismissed the whole thing as being paranoid until about 2 years ago when I read a post on another forum about a guy who was in (I think?)Galveston when that huge hurricane rolled through a couple years ago. He had a few days of water and food but after that it was a daily ride to the FEMA delivery point to stand in line with a 1000 other people for hours, just like everybody else. He had a generator he would run sparingly and one night about 2 weeks in with no power, a group of guys decided that they wanted it and he basically got into a shoot out over a generator.

This was a fairly major American city after an average sized hurricane, certainly not an end of the world scenario. It was at this point that I reconsidered the old adage, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone's not out to get you."

I've read of people who have stockpiled 10 years worth of provisions. I personally think that's a little too crazy unless you're independaently wealthy but keeping some extra food staples around isn't a bad idea. I have read where people have gotten 5 gallon plastic buckets from Home depot, filled one with rice and another with beans and have spent a grand total of about $100 stockpiling some basic food staples in that way and it keeps the bugs and moisture out.

yep, you need to be prepared just taking a break prepping for this storm coming.. chevelle frame and body up, corvette up for high tides.. everything in the garage up.. pain in the butt..

gen up and running incase power goes out.. not worried about looters people in this area know better.. and if they do not they find out real quick..

I think someone here was talking about hyperinflation yesterday or today. Don't think cause you have a few grand in the bank account that that means anything. If the US goes through hyperinflation you may, overnight, end up paying $100 for a gallon of water, $500 for a tank of gas, etc

I think everyone can afford at the very minumum

A few gallons of water rotated out periodically

Extra canned foods

Manual can opener

candles

strike anywhere matches (a couple big boxes)

Extra blankets and warm weather clothing

crank flashlight

crank radio

That'll be enough to get you through like a week, even in the winter. I've actually saved two thanksgiving dinners in the last 5 years by being prepared for power outages.

LOL... that's like going to the grocery storm the day before a big storm hits. Everyone and their brother is out buying crap. Lol... snow shovels and snow blowers get sold out annually first big storm. Last year all sub pumps and generators were sold out when we had that crazy rain storm.

The first thing I think I would do if it was a sustained emergency is grab the guns and get out of here.

NJ will come and take your guns during an emergency. No protection from that here....