savageshooter

Power outage yesterday got me thinking about being prepared

lol... the 1900 Hurricane that leveled Galveston?

I believe it was Ike in 2008 which came ashore as only a catagory 2 and still devastated that area. I was looking for the specific post on 1919a4 but couldn't find it, probably lost during one of there periodic server crashes.

The first thing I think I would do if it was a sustained emergency is grab the guns and get out of here.

NJ will come and take your guns during an emergency. No protection from that here....

but then you're a "refugee"...with guns, so sort of like a "brigand" - that's not good either. you think they'll have the time and manpower to go to everyone's houses and get their guns? I doubt it. I'd rather stay home.

ooooh, blankets, that's what I need more of. and the matches.

I'd be willing to wager that less cops show up for work here than did in the case of Katrina if a disaster/emergency happens and if they do as posted above do you really think they have the time and man power to do it?

Even if they do show up there is no way they are leaving with all of them ;) Ever hear the saying don't keep all your eggs in the same basket?

I lost power for 31/2 days several years ago. I was unprepared and was lucky it was in the summer.

Since then I have about a weeks worth of can/dry goods. I have a generator that I can run my well, furnace, hot water, fridge and a few other things. Just have to remember to keep enough gas on hand. Always need more ammo but I have enough to do some damage. I also am very isolated. I live on a few acres and only really have one neighbor that we are very good freinds with. I know I can do better but I am not at the tip of the spear like a lot of you in populated areas. I figure I should have a little more time to react. Maybe a little foolish.

If you have trees make sure you have a good chainsaw on hand. Trees fall down during storms and can block your egress.

Guess how I know this? :oops:

If we run out of food there is a lot of game around and we can always eat our cats! :shock:

I got lots of deer roaming around in the area. that shotgun would come in handy.my wife said that if I ever get into hunting, she wouldn't cook/eat the game that I harvest. I bet she'd change her mind if she were real hungry :twisted:

anyone read the book "The Road" or watch the movie? the book was way better. I just wonder, if they're roaming around with only two rounds in the revolver, how many did he start out with? that's a problem I don't intend to have...I think most on this forum would agree... ;)

I lost power for 31/2 days several years ago. I was unprepared and was lucky it was in the summer.

Since then I have about a weeks worth of can/dry goods. I have a generator that I can run my well, furnace, hot water, fridge and a few other things. Just have to remember to keep enough gas on hand.

You have LP or NG? Trade that sucker in for one that runs on your home gas supply!!

I can tell you even in the business world disaster denial is the biggest issue I face getting clients to see reality. I own the NJ office for Firestorm and Disaster Preparedness is what we do. Business Continuity, Workplace Violence, Pandemic Planning, Crisis Management...all the fun stuff to talk about at parties and gatherings. I also do personal preparedness training. In October (or so) I will be conducting a personal preparedness seminar at Gun for Hire in case anyone is interested. In the mean time, you can download our book for disaster preparedness for the home via the attached link below. If you want a hard copy contact me and for like $7.00 I can drop one in the mail.

http://www.firestorm.com/book/

We also had a soft launch of our Emergency Preparedness Network call the Preaction Alliance which is the link below. If you want a free 90 day membership (worth $85.00) let me know and I can give you a coupon code for the purchase.

Check out FIRESTORM'S PREACTION EMERGENCY RESPONSE ALLIANCE

http://preaction.com/affiliates/preaction.php?id=87

I agree keeping the dog around. Unless it was a live or die situation, even then it would be hard. But dogs have such great senses, they could be great to alert you of intruders at night.

Depends on the type of dog! A chihuahua or little yapper wouldn't do much for you.

I agree keeping the dog around. Unless it was a live or die situation, even then it would be hard. But dogs have such great senses, they could be great to alert you of intruders at night.

Depends on the type of dog! A chihuahua or little yapper wouldn't do much for you.

I have to disagree with this one. I hate small dogs. If it is smaller then a football, it is a cat or a rodent in my book. I love my cats, but they will have KC's Masterpiece BBQ on them over some Ramien Pride Noodles by about day four.

I will offer this on the small vermin they call dogs. They make lots of noise and are naturally more on the defensive because of their size. Therefore, they make very good alarm systems. From the other side of the door, you can't really tell what type of dog it is and most won't take the chance. At the very least, the perps will know that the humans on the other side have been alerted and the element of surprise is gone. The furry footballs will eat much less then the big dogs and if you have to stay inside, dealing with their waste is much easier than the Rottie / Shepherd that dumps like a human. Me, I'll keep my Vizsla who can help me hunt and has already proven her worth twice by going after the Black Bears that stray into my yard. I'd shoot my POS brother before taking down my dog. A dog is money well spent.

What's a Vizsla you ask?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vizsla

Actually I think a small dog would be better for ALERTING you than a big dog. Small dogs normally bark at everything that moves, they have a high pitched bark that will wake anybody up......but their bark isnt strong enough to carry VERY far outside your house.

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback...basically a bigger more awesome Vizsla (JK!) :) . He does not bark unless something is wrong. Last week there was a plastic bag blowing around the back yard and he barked at it. He barks at the cats, wildlife, strange objects in the back yard. He's quiet in the house and doesn't bark at people on the street or at the door...so that may not be such a good thing as far as a watchdog goes. I trained him not to bark at people so I guess that's my fault. At least when he does bark I know with like 99% certainty something is up, versus something like a beagle that barks at the TV remote and the garbage can. He's def big and intimidating tho!

Small dogs are great because they usually are more alert to their surroundings. They are yappy and annoying... so as long as you train them you're set. You can do this by rewarding and praising them for barking at things you want, and correcting and removing a toy/yourself from their immediate area when they bark at something that you do not want. This puts responsibility on you as the leader to investigate ANY barking. As soon as I hear Indy in the back barking, I'm out the door rain or shine to investigate. If its junk in the yard flyin in the wind I praise, treat, and remove the junk. If its a person he gets scolded, brought inside, and I leave him locked up in the kitchen alone for a few minutes so he knows I'm not happy with him

The diesel generator is good alternative to gasoline. There are two trains of thought I think. You can go for a generator attached to your home gas supply, or a portable oil based generator. The home NG/LP generator is relatively permanent, always ready, low upkeep, and easily configured to be on an automatic transfer switch. Downside is if you lose NG supply its useless. If you have a large LP tank for your gas, then you are set tho! It will be very hard/impossible to refill in an emergency.

You can get a portable diesel generator, but then you (probably) will have to wire things directly to it, its not going to be automatic, and have to store diesel fuel. They do make permanent standby diesel generators, but they are more expensive than NG/LP and you still have to maintain the fuel. Unless you have a diesel vehicle it'll be a PITFA to keep the diesel usable for long periods of time. You can have a local fuel oil company handle your standby generator fuel, do fuel sampling, etc, but it costs money and effort. Maybe a good solution is to have BOTH! Get a NG/LP Generator attached to your homes breaker for short term power outages, and get a cheap 3000-5000w portable diesel generator as a backup that can run on anything you can scrounge.

@ sirsloop, I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback growing up. My Uncle and Aunt for decades bred and showed Ridgebacks until they retired and moved to VA out or Relion Kennels. Notice the Lion in the name. Great dogs but some can be temperamental. Ours tagged the mailman and then bit my little brother pretty badly and we realized it was time for her to go. My uncle had a massive Ridgeback that created an incident with the UPS guy. When my aunt was home alone, she heard a 'help me' from the front door. The UPS guy decided to open the door and let himself in to deliver a package. Without a bark from the 3 or 4 Ridgebacks that were allowed in the house, Banner, the largest, had this guy in a death grip on his wrist. Badly broke the skin and caused some tissue damage. If this guy resisted, he would have been wolf-packed by a bunch of dogs. The other 8 to 10 dogs were out in the kennel area...easy way to get rid of the evidence. They used to live in Denville until the late 70's and then bought a bunch of land down in Frenchtown. Who knows, you might have one of their dogs or kin thereof.

NJ will come and take your guns during an emergency. No protection from that here....

I'm still wondering about this: if they come to my house, my first question would be: "you got a warrant to come in my house?"

second question: "you gonna stand guard in front of my house to make sure it doesn't get looted and my family doesn't get hurt?

~ no? well you can't have my guns then."

Mine came from Texas... not sure what the lineage behind the parents are. I think the breeder mentioned they originally got their RRs from the Denver area. Indy has excellent temperament, is extremely social and sweet with other dogs and humans, and only gets in a little puppy trouble here and there tearin up the place. We really got lucky as I hear some of them can be quite a handful. We got him at 10wks so he had a little extra time with the parents and the breeders other dogs, and I'm pretty strict with discipline and training. I'm def in the "discipline is love" camp when it comes to owning and leading a dog. I think the bad name from RR's comes from uneducated owners that under exercise the dogs, neglect to set and adhere to strict rules and manners, and allow the dog to assume alpha. I can only imagine the carnage a mean ill mannered RR would cause!! HA!

I'm still wondering about this: if they come to my house, my first question would be: "you got a warrant to come in my house?"

second question: "you gonna stand guard in front of my house to make sure it doesn't get looted and my family doesn't get hurt?

~ no? well you can't have my guns then."

Never let the police into your house without a warrant. You can simply ask them what they want through the door, then tell them to leave if they don't have a warrant.

They have no right poking around your place. If you give them consent and they start tearing the place up, anything they find they can confiscate and arrest you for. Just make sure they don't have probable cause... like a ma deuce stickin out the upstairs window :lol:

I'm not even gonna open the door, they can always try muscling their way in. I would just lean out the upstairs window and ask what they want...

Thats exactly what they would do. It may not even be the local police. It may be the National Guard or the local SWAT. This already has happened.

http://gunowners.org/abcnews.mpg Thats a video

http://gunowners.org/notb.htm Thats a link to more videos and stories.

Another suggestion. If an officer is at your door and you decide to go out and talk to them, go out the back door and walk around your house. If you dont allow them to see inside, they cant use the "visual" as a reason to enter your house. It would still be hard to justify, as a house will stay there when a car can be moved....but they may try to use that argument.