ChrisJM981

Respirator for gun cleaning

As much as I'd love to go outside and clean my guns I hate the heat. I clean my guns indoors with the windows closed (no I won't open them I just said I hate the heat) so I'd like to use a respirator. Using Powder Blast, Hoppes no. 9, Gunscrubber, and RemOil Spray I have to believe that stuff can't be good for me to inhale. I have a 3M R95 rated Workshop Respirator. Would this be sufficient for filtering airborne lead created while cleaning my firearms?

Edit: On the package it says "use for: solvents, degreasers, and paint thinners" when I open up the directions it says not for paint sprays... just reading this now... lead... :facepalm: Can I use a P95 respirator for solvents and lead?

You will need a purple filter if you want to clean firearms with a respirator.

That should cover anything you would use cleaning a firearm.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/respiratorypro ... index.html

Don't waste your money on those little dust masks,they just keep sawdust or other large chunks out of your nose.

Just open a window, put a fan in it and crank up your a/c, a little fresh air will eliminate the need for a respirator.

That's called an "engineering control" by OSHA, or go Level A. : )

Is that stuff safe for a chrome lined barrel?

Is that stuff safe for a chrome lined barrel?

I use it with no problems!

The chlorine in the solvents is a lot less than what you would be exposed to swimming in a pool.

I'm pretty sure the chemicals are within OSHA limits. You've got scientists working with just gloves and safety googles handling the same solvents for years. Most of them turned out okay. Lol