Sign in to follow this  
e80hydro

For the salesmen out there

yah, a few months ago the company where I work rolled out an incentive plan for the hourly employees (my subordinates - I'm on a salary). Everyone was very excited. Then when the big boys saw that we were actually beating the quota and these poor souls were making an extra $.50 per hour, they quietly upped the quota to make sure we don't ever hit it again.

Oh I've had that encounter before. I wasn't a true salesman, but was involved with technical sales and support and this brought to the surface a few unpleasant memories and people's name I've repressed for a number of years.

Ah the fun of sales.

When I was in college I worked for GNC and was selling vitamins. We had a promotion going on Ripped Fuel where every bottle we sold we would get an extra 5 or 10 dollars. The first day I sold all but 2 bottles in the store. When we got replenished the next day the sales manager hid the bottles in the back room so that he could get in on some of the promotion money.

Last year my territory was at 125% to plan on a $26M quota. My VP of Sales comes in with the Sen VP of Business Development and says since we just lost our CEO we are going to change territories and responsibilities. Since you are the only rep with a Biology degree, you are going to now cover a different service and I will be taking over your territory. Please forward me all your contact info and current contracts/deals you are working on. I will admit it was bitter sweet when the new CEO hired his former VP of sales who immediately came in and fired all of our current sales force including me, the VP of Sales who Screwed me, and also reassigned the VP of Business Dev.

Wow, this was stupid. I had to stop watching after a minute.

As soon as the quota Bs came out. It is all BS. Quotas are set by pikers who cant do anything themselves. If you cannot hit some stupid quota, you shouldn't be in the business. It is about service and relationship. Focusing on some limiting number is doing just that... limiting you. Biggest problem with a quota is that once someone hits it.... they stop working.

Wow, this was stupid. I had to stop watching after a minute.

As soon as the quota Bs came out. It is all BS. Quotas are set by pikers who cant do anything themselves. If you cannot hit some stupid quota, you shouldn't be in the business. It is about service and relationship. Focusing on some limiting number is doing just that... limiting you. Biggest problem with a quota is that once someone hits it.... they stop working.

Its also about rewards and helping to make the employee feel like he is actually a valuable contributing member of the team and not just another number. Once you reach a certain level of subsistence, the job doesn't matter without fulfillment, which does not always mean monetary rewards.