bry@n

Thinking about a 1911

Thinking about a 1911 for me. Please post commenst and experiences.

been looking into a Sig 1911 - 1911CA-45-SSS

I see that the S&W pro's are good, what do they go for?

I want to stay away from Kimber.

• Like 1

Base 1911's from Smith are in the 800 to 900 I believe.

The Pro series is around $1200, although seen a few on GB for less.

I have shot a few Sig 1911's, in the commander size and I liked them. Bang for the buck, the Pro series with hand work done are tough to beat.

Yep. That is the gun I am using for USPSA.

Other great 1911's that I have shot... HuntingPaper's Spartan. A great value too.

My next 1911 though is going to be the MR Desert Eagle 1911. It is built by BUL, based 100% on the BUL M5. It was going to be imported by CD/KBI, however MR came in and took over the deal.

I have seen, and played with this gun, and I am highly impressed. The fit and finish are superb. Great trigger out of the box.

The only thing I do not like is the big advertisement on the side. lol. But cant win them all.

desert_eagle_1911-tfb.jpg

Based on...

BULM5GovernmentWeb.JPG

http://bultransmark.net/BULM5Government.htm

I've said this before, on here, but I'm always at a loss as to why people want a Commander size 1911, or a "Carry" model in the Sig P220 or 1911. Unless you say, "I just like the way it looks." I can think of no practical reason. The grip frames of both the Commander and full-size 1911 are the same length - likewise the P220 and Carry versions. It's not real difficult to hide an additional 3/4" of barrel length and the advantages are a longer sight radius and higher velocities. Even if you bobtail the Commander for better concealment - why not do the same thing to the full-size.

OK, rant over, back on topic. Bry@n, I think the Sig 1911's are some of the most underrated 1911's available. They got off to a rocky start and the rep kinda stuck with them. Current production Sig 1911's are great guns. I really liked the TTT, but they are no longer making that. The STX is run through the Custom Shop and there is some handfitting. I would also imagine the street price would be less than the S&W Pro series. I like the S&W 1911's also so I think it should come down to what model you like the best from either of those manufacturers. I carry a Sig 1911 RCS (lightweight compact) - Maks has shot that and commented favorably on it - just as I have his Pro-1911 9mm. Bring home the one you like best (even if it's a Commander....sigh).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

hehe. Yes. The RCS is nice.... now Bob, I am not familiar with them, is it an all new frame? or just a smaller frame? What exactly is an RCS?

You shot it at BA - It is an alloy Officer's Model frame with a Commander top end...

favoritethings.jpg

Does this ring a bell?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a Taurus PT1911 that is a great shooter right out of the box. It has a lot of the "bells and whistles" of the more expensive 1911's, but not at an outrageous price. I've put a lot of rounds through it, have had zero issues, and it's my most accurate/favorite handgun to shoot.

Bob, Bryan is a fellow Sig whore so my guess is he goes with the Sig....I can't blame him

There seems to be a lot of sig whores in this forum. :D I'm going to start collecting them too, starting with the P239 this year. Maybe next year I'll continue the collection. :)

Don't be turned off with a Kimber. The early versions with external extractors had some problems. They dispensed with them and went internal. Fit, finish and quality are really nice. My TLE II in stainless and my SIS both work 100% right out of the box.

Nothing wrong with the Sig if that strikes your fancy. Just stay away from the low end versions of 1911's and as they are not worth the hassle.

If you can find a nice condition Colt series 70, that's the best way to go.'

Your welcome to try mine anytime at CJ.

IMG_0085.jpg

I've said this before, on here, but I'm always at a loss as to why people want a Commander size 1911, or a "Carry" model in the Sig P220 or 1911. Unless you say, "I just like the way it looks." I can think of no practical reason. The grip frames of both the Commander and full-size 1911 are the same length - likewise the P220 and Carry versions. It's not real difficult to hide an additional 3/4" of barrel length and the advantages are a longer sight radius and higher velocities. Even if you bobtail the Commander for better concealment - why not do the same thing to the full-size.

OK, rant over, back on topic. Bry@n, I think the Sig 1911's are some of the most underrated 1911's available. They got off to a rocky start and the rep kinda stuck with them. Current production Sig 1911's are great guns. I really liked the TTT, but they are no longer making that. The STX is run through the Custom Shop and there is some handfitting. I would also imagine the street price would be less than the S&W Pro series. I like the S&W 1911's also so I think it should come down to what model you like the best from either of those manufacturers. I carry a Sig 1911 RCS (lightweight compact) - Maks has shot that and commented favorably on it - just as I have his Pro-1911 9mm. Bring home the one you like best (even if it's a Commander....sigh).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I like the way they look.Nothing wrong with a longer barrel. I may even go for the longer barrel, I haven't made up my mind 100% yet. Thanks for the info.

There seems to be a lot of sig whores in this forum. :D I'm going to start collecting them too, starting with the P239 this year. Maybe next year I'll continue the collection. :)

Sig Whore party of one! :lol: I got Jared started. I made him see the Signess.

Don't be turned off with a Kimber. The early versions with external extractors had some problems. They dispensed with them and went internal. Fit, finish and quality are really nice. My TLE II in stainless and my SIS both work 100% right out of the box.

Nothing wrong with the Sig if that strikes your fancy. Just stay away from the low end versions of 1911's and as they are not worth the hassle.

If you can find a nice condition Colt series 70, that's the best way to go.'

Your welcome to try mine anytime at CJ.

IMG_0085.jpg

Mauser, I will take you up on that. I was at CJ tonite and loved it, Gonna join at the next newbie meeting.

• Like 1

Springfield Armory TRP

My friend has one and it is sssssswwwwwweeeeeeeettttttttt!

night sights, ambi safety, checkering on the frontstrap is nice, and the trigger was excellent out of the box.

I have my ParaUSA GI Expert (which people like when they shoot it), and it was real inexpensive.

Guest HuntingPaper

The Taurus PT1911 was a decent shooter-- I wasn't turned off any by the fact that it was a Taurus.

Does anybody have any hands on experience with the STI Spartan? It was brought up before briefly, but any more info on it?

I own one and I really like it. Shoots great, very solid, amazing trigger and priced right. Competition ready with fiber optic front sight!

STI-Spartan-1911.jpg

The STI Spartan is a really great gun. Shot Luis's a few times and I am really liking it. Very soft shooting for a 45, great fit and finish, and a terrific price. Then again, how can you go wrong with a 1911?

I believe over 30% of the frames/guns in USPSA Open division are STI's.