Sign in to follow this  
bbk

Army DMs are getting an upgrade

http://www.remington....com/press7.htm

---

The above link goes to the official press release by Remington's military branch. It details the fact that Remington has received the contract to upgrade the M24SWS (Sniper Weapon System) from 7.62NATO to .300 Winchester Magnum, as well as the news about the M24E1 SWS upgrade/enhancements:

- A completely new chassis (stock) assembly, which maximizes the amount of physical adjustments for the sniper to provide a true customized fit. The chassis has a folding buttstock that radically shortens the system for easier transport and greater concealment during movement and accommodates the mounting of accessories via removable Mil Std 1913 Picatinny Rails.

- An improved 6.5-20×50 variable power Leupold riflescope with an enhanced reticle within the first focal plane and a .300 Winchester Magnum bullet-drop compensator (BDC)

- A quick-attach/detach Advanced Armament Corp. suppressor with muzzle brake

- A 5-round detachable box magazine

- Advanced corrosion resistant coatings throughout the system

I don't have any insiders that have knowledge regarding this technical stuff, nor am I overly familiar with it. However, its interesting to see the transition, across the board, to larger calibers. The Mk17, which was green-lit by SOCOM, is 7.62NATO, and now the new M24E1 in .300WinMag. I think its the right transition, considering the variables/environments of the area of operation has changed tremendously in the shift back to Afghanistan. I'm cool with anything that gives our boots on the ground a better chance of getting the mission done, and getting home safely.

The only thing that gets me regarding this move is that the Army just purchased a number of M110 SASS (a version of the SR-25, .308 designated marksmen rifle). I know that the M110 is a DMR, and not a pure sniper system-- but then what is Remington going to do about their MSR? Or is that the direction the M24E1 is going towards? Ha, just seems really, really redundant (which doesn't surprise me at all with my experiences).

So, what do the people with bolt guns think of the change? I find the headline that Gear Scout (of Military Times) uses to be humorous: "Army Upgrades M24 sniper system to .300WinMag; Army snipers smile, wince"

Its a stop gap solution. The reason its 300's is that their current rifles are already long actions so its just a barrel and bolt swap to make them 300 Winny's. The PSR contract is what will replace these.... Its fairly clear that the shift has been Semi's for intermediate, target rich invironments and large calibers for say the mountains of Astan. Yaknow, like how Im set up :D

It is a step in the right direction, now we just need them to realize that the 5.56/.223 just doesn't cut it.

Where not comparing 5.56 to 7.62 here, we should be comparing 308 to 300 to 338.

It is a step in the right direction, now we just need them to realize that the 5.56/.223 just doesn't cut it.

Oh I don't know about that. I've got a dead associate of the family (officer-involved-shooting, good shoot IMO) who would say 5.56 is very effective. Shot placement trumps caliber.

As for the M110, based on my gatherings, I don't understand why we continue to procure this platform. Our DMRs have a love/hate relationship with it because it either runs or it doesn't. I would be interested to see if our military is evaluating the LMT MWS as it seems to be every bit as accurate and capable as the M110 but more reliable, cost-effective, and flexible in terms of application.

Seems like another half-assed military waste of money... Change calibers or don't, but "Retrofitting" sniper rifles to new parts for a new caliber just seems half assed to me, do it or don't.

But they're going to say how much money we save by not getting entirely new rifles.

Retrofitting satisfies immediate need and its a simple upgrade. Whats half assed about that? Would you prefer they wait until the PSR locomotive comes to a stop and there are rifles to be delivered?

Yeah, the guys who are doing the upgrades are top notch. I am not 100% sure if the AMU does it or Unit Armorers, but the guys who build Sniper Rifles in the Military know their shit. Nothing half-assed bout it.

Not sure how you took my post to read I was inferring the armorers or any Army soldier/Marine did something half-assed when I was clearly referring to the government's longstanding policy and application of retrofitting rather than complete replacement, but hey, sorry if I mislead you.

And balancing the budget by borrowing money satisfies a short-term need and is readily available, so why not do that some more to fix a major problem? See how that worked out there...

Yeah Scrap the problem though is that your missing the fact that the Largest Sniper Rifle contract in US history is already underway. Your position is based on a serious lack of information. The rifles are already in hand and about to start the testing portion of procurment. This will take time....

SO while the Fed Gov/Mil decides what wins(what glass, what mount, what rifle, what works with PVS24, RULR,STORM, what biped, what submission has true manufacturing capability, etc etc etc) in the mean time a stop gap solution was needed. There was a REASON the M24's were specified with Long Actions. Youre seeing that forthought come to fruition. It makes little difference to the smith which caliber tube he screws on to the front of the action. See how that works?

Not sure how you took my post to read I was inferring the armorers or any Army soldier/Marine did something half-assed when I was clearly referring to the government's longstanding policy and application of retrofitting rather than complete replacement, but hey, sorry if I mislead you.

And balancing the budget by borrowing money satisfies a short-term need and is readily available, so why not do that some more to fix a major problem? See how that worked out there...

They changed over to the Long Action years ago ANTICIPATING this. .300 Win mag is already in the supply pipeline, and the barrels on the Army's Sniper rifles get changed at regular intervals already because those guys actually SHOOT their precision rifles constantly. All this is is changing the chambering of the barrel to .300WM, and chaning out the bolt. keeping men who have tens of thousands of rounds with the equipment they use every day. .338 is a GREAT round, dont get me wrong, But dont expect to see the .mil chang eover to it on anything more than a limited, specialty level.

300WM is a good choice. Because it is one of many .308 calibers, you can use most of your brushes and cleaning kits from '06, 308 and 300wm. I have a 300RUM and love the hell of it and would not mind having a 300wm with a collapsible stock to make it easier to transport.

Keeping your M4 at the ready until you reach your hive and while you get ready for long distance diplomacy works for me. One gun is never going to work in all the environments we fight in. Having a 5.56 and the 300 should take care of about 99% of all ground based situations. I want an AR-300WM with 15 round mag's. Let's retro all those old '06 BAR's to the 300WM. :icon_e_surprised:.

If I had to choose one platform, I'd take an M14 with an 18" barrel with a Picatinny rail for multiple optic platforms and call it a day. Just say'in.