JonF

Trigger slap, which guns have a case of it?

I've felt this on a few pistols before and its beyond annoying. I want to tape the gun to the cardboard, send it to 25 yards (cuz i'm a long-shootin baller, lol), make a zipgun from a 500S&W case and a house key and lob the bullets at it instead of the paper. Seems like guns with a FPB will usually have a case of the Slap and some guns i have had like the glock and the CZ-52 have had a FPB and Slap-itus unless you do some action work on them. What else is plagued with this nasty affliction? I'll want to avoid this like an erection at church.

I've felt this on a few pistols before and its beyond annoying. I want to tape the gun to the cardboard, send it to 25 yards (cuz i'm a long-shootin baller, lol), make a zipgun from a 500S&W case and a house key and lob the bullets at it instead of the paper. Seems like guns with a FPB will usually have a case of the Slap and some guns i have had like the glock and the CZ-52 have had a FPB and Slap-itus unless you do some action work on them. What else is plagued with this nasty affliction? I'll want to avoid this like an erection at church.

What the hell are you talking about? Trigger slap is poor trigger control by the shooter. Not a characteristic of a pistol.

What the hell are you talking about? Trigger slap is poor trigger control by the shooter. Not a characteristic of a pistol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are you maybe talking about a trigger that goes well beyond the point where the sear breaks and then the trigger return spring pushes it forward into your trigger finger? If so, all that takes is an overtravel screw. Just guessing that's what you mean.

Adios,

Pizza Bob.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK Bob if I understand correctly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ = Take-up and Overtravel

Am I correct? Not trigger slap.

BTW my class is a go... I will be contacting you on 10/4 to schedule a subsequent pick-up, providing a cash injection.

OK Bob if I understand correctly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ = Take-up and Overtravel

Am I correct? Not trigger slap.

No but that was a nice interpretation of my graphics. It just meant I was agreeing with what you said (up arrows pointing to your quote.)

But you must have read my mind, because your post came-up about a second before my edited version of my OP, figuring he means overtravel.

Great minds, and all that. See you on the 4th.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Frank, if you've ever fired one of the the CZs I'm describing that has this problem, you would change your mind about blaming the shooter. It feels like holding onto a metal rod that someone just whacked the other end of, and is not at all pleasant. If overtravel is the problem, unfortunately overtravel screws are mostly found on pricier steel guns. Basic service model guns don't come with one.

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=60194&highlight=trigger+slap

Frank, if you've ever fired one of the the CZs I'm describing that has this problem, you would change your mind about blaming the shooter. It feels like holding onto a metal rod that someone just whacked the other end of, and is not at all pleasant. If overtravel is the problem, unfortunately overtravel screws are mostly found on pricier steel guns. Basic service model guns don't come with one.

http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=60194&highlight=trigger+slap

Chris- That is not how I have heard the term "trigger slap" used. (maybe i've been sheltered :icon_e_biggrin: )

And you are demeaning the CZ75? CZ advocates claim it's God's Gift.

Sorry, I'm a simple peasant. I shoot JMB designs and of course the Tupperware. LOL When I carried a BHP I was told I was carrying an inferior weapon and should get a CZ75. Trick stuff out as much as anybody wants but there is no substitute for trigger control.

I have felt what Chris is talking about, it's like a whack at the trigger finger. You feel a pain, like the entire recoil was felt through the trigger and to your trigger finger. I felt it on NJPilts CZ p01 when I first shot it and that steered me away, but was recently drawn to them again. I didn't feel it this time, so either my trigger control has gotten better, the trigger smoothed out a little or I have no f'n clue what I am talking about.

I am sure I will find out soon enough, when my p01 comes home.

I'm not 100% on that curvy trigger but we'll see.

Re-read the thread, open your mind and you'll see exactly what the "hell" we're talking about, jumpy.

Chris- That is not how I have heard the term "trigger slap" used. (maybe i've been sheltered :icon_e_biggrin: )

And you are demeaning the CZ75? CZ advocates claim it's God's Gift.

Sorry, I'm a simple peasant. I shoot JMB designs and of course the Tupperware. LOL When I carried a BHP I was told I was carrying an inferior weapon and should get a CZ75. Trick stuff out as much as anybody wants but there is no substitute for trigger control.

Frank,

I think the whole thread has been a Three's Company episode, more or less, with people talking about different things but not realizing it. The "trigger slap" you are referring to is a pejorative description of someone's shooting technique (i.e. not pulling slow and smooth, but jerking the trigger and having bad trigger control). By now, I think you see we are talking about a nasty physical manifestation of how some guns pass recoil back to the user through the trigger.

Re-read the thread, open your mind and you'll see exactly what the "hell" we're talking about, jumpy.

I’m still am not sure what you are talking about. Especially confused by your use of acronyms.

But if you are accusing GLOCKS of having “trigger slap” I know you’re “out there” because, that is one pistol that I am intimate with and see loads of them.

If you don’t like the trigger on your GLOCK, come spend some time with me and we can make it so you love it.

Yes I am offering you something for free.

BTW only range guns should be modified.

Frank,

I think the whole thread has been a Three's Company episode, more or less, with people talking about different things but not realizing it. The "trigger slap" you are referring to is a pejorative description of someone's shooting technique (i.e. not pulling slow and smooth, but jerking the trigger and having bad trigger control). By now, I think you see we are talking about a nasty physical manifestation of how some guns pass recoil back to the user through the trigger.

Chris- Just remember Jack Tripper only Pretended to be gay!

I hear what you're saying. I guess we have a symantics issue.

These guys aren't talking about "trigger reset" are they? Doesn't sound like they are...

I shot one of the new Mac 10 pistols and it had a piece of clear plastic over the trigger. I didn't know what it was for until I let off a few rounds and SLAP! It was to cusion the trigger slap, but it was still bad.

I shot one of the new Mac 10 pistols and it had a piece of clear plastic over the trigger. I didn't know what it was for until I let off a few rounds and SLAP! It was to cusion the trigger slap, but it was still bad.

I had an older one about 15 years ago. It had a piece of vacuum tubing over the trigger. Because it was sharp as ****.

When I saw it I sold it unfired. What a POS.

I feel like I'm in an Economics class where 3 terms mean the same thing and 1 term means two diametrically opposite things... You can't imagine how frustrating this is for an Engineer where one term means the same thing, all the time, and the "creativity" (ahem) built into engineers prevents them from using any term which isn't logical. Just think of it - screwdriver = tool to drive screws. Electrician = person who installs or fixes electrical devices...

I feel like I'm in an Economics class where 3 terms mean the same thing and 1 term means two diametrically opposite things... You can't imagine how frustrating this is for an Engineer where one term means the same thing, all the time, and the "creativity" (ahem) built into engineers prevents them from using any term which isn't logical. Just think of it - screwdriver = tool to drive screws. Electrician = person who installs or fixes electrical devices...

Hey Dan- you hit it on the nose.

I dont remember the trigger slap on the cz 85 I had... but dont think it was bad...

The best way to describe it is recoil that is transfered to your body via the trigger to the finger while the trigger is resetting.

Some of the worst cases I have felt it in were shooting some Wasr's, and a ruger lcp.

There is a simple solution to this... get a 1911. =P

I do recall shooting an m&p 9c hurt a bit in the finger, especially since the trigger is that two piece weird one. The other was a polymer Sig SP2022 in a 40 cal.

as per Beretta USA.

From BUSA FAQ:

What is trigger sting or trigger slap?

"Trigger sting" or "trigger slap" is a phenomena that may affect virtually any firearm given the right set of circumstances: fit of the firearm to the shooter's hand; physical characteristics of the shooter's hand; how a particular shooter holds the firearm and how that affects harmonic vibrations; and a phenomena, documented by high speed photography, referred to as a secondary trigger pull; and timing; all enter into the equation.

We have done extensive testing on pistols, for example, including where a particular pistol documented as causing one particular shooter "trigger sting", has been fired under the same controlled circumstances by other shooters. These other shooters did not suffer this phenomena.

A Google search of "trigger slap" and similar terms will bring to light that this is common phenomena that affects, as indicated, virtually any firearm given the right set of circumstances. And there are just as many theories as to how to "cure" the phenomena.

The practical suggestion to insure that you are not going to be prone to "trigger slap" or "trigger sting" with any particular firearm is to locate a shooting range in your area that has a sample of the firearm you are interested in available for rent. Try it before you buy it and see how it suits you. Like they say, the proof of the pudding is in the taste test.

Revision 2010-04

I've been shooting a few different rental guns and the Glock 19 gives me an unpleasant sting on my middle finger where it is touching the underside of the trigger guard. Bummer, I liked the 19 other than that. No problems with the 17.

I've been shooting a few different rental guns and the Glock 19 gives me an unpleasant sting on my middle finger where it is touching the underside of the trigger guard. Bummer, I liked the 19 other than that. No problems with the 17.

The Glock trigger sting is a little different in my opinion. It has more to do with the sharpness of the trigger "scissors". This is easily rectified by putting the smooth trigger in, or smoothing it yourself with a little sandpaper. It is plastic after all. :)

The Glock trigger sting is a little different in my opinion. It has more to do with the sharpness of the trigger "scissors". This is easily rectified by putting the smooth trigger in, or smoothing it yourself with a little sandpaper. It is plastic after all. :)

I think its exacerbated by the serrated trigger, but initially caused by the fact that the trigger bar directly rides the FPB and gets bumped every time the slide cycles which sends the shock down into the trigger itself. My CZ75 has had the FPB removed as part of the competition package so it no longer has any direct connection to the slide itself and consequently, no slap. I noticed a similar reduction with my CZ52 after installing a Harrington improved firing pin which alters the FPB interface to a point where the slap is eliminated. This is another gun with a trigger bar similar to the glock whose trigger rides the FPB while it connects to sear which is why i believe any gun that has this sort of internal mechanical arrangement can be susceptible. I know Series 80 1911's have a FPB, but not sure if they have this issue since the 1911 action is a lot different than the CZ.

I think its exacerbated by the serrated trigger, but initially caused by the fact that the trigger bar directly rides the FPB and gets bumped every time the slide cycles which sends the shock down into the trigger itself. My CZ75 has had the FPB removed as part of the competition package so it no longer has any direct connection to the slide itself and consequently, no slap. I noticed a similar reduction with my CZ52 after installing a Harrington improved firing pin which alters the FPB interface to a point where the slap is eliminated. This is another gun with a trigger bar similar to the glock whose trigger rides the FPB while it connects to sear which is why i believe any gun that has this sort of internal mechanical arrangement can be susceptible. I know Series 80 1911's have a FPB, but not sure if they have this issue since the 1911 action is a lot different than the CZ.

I have a reduced power firing pin safety spring in my 34. I have never heard of anyone trying to run a Glock without that particular safety. I don't even know if it could easily be done.