Regulator72

Check my math

Ok, I have a LEE Turret Classic press, (thanks to Maks for all the help & info when i ordered.) I bought the press several months back and have just started to begin using it.

I am reloading .45 acp, 230gr fmj. Using Winchester 231 powder. I am loading 5.2/5.5 grains of 231 powder, using the LEE autodisk powder disk # .49.. I've triple checked my powder on the scale, and all is good.. basically, I'm just looking for some reassurance that I am doing this correct before I bring some rounds to the range and try... thoughts? I' going to load like 10 or so to try out..

Ok, I have a LEE Turret Classic press, (thanks to Maks for all the help & info when i ordered.) I bought the press several months back and have just started to begin using it.

I am reloading .45 acp, 230gr fmj. Using Winchester 231 powder. I am loading 5.2/5.5 grains of 231 powder, using the LEE autodisk powder disk # .49.. I've triple checked my powder on the scale, and all is good.. basically, I'm just looking for some reassurance that I am doing this correct before I bring some rounds to the range and try... thoughts? I' going to load like 10 or so to try out..

Don,

I checked in my Lyman reloading manual and your numbers are right as for a minimum starting grain number. I can't speak as to the Lee equipment though. 45ACP is a nice low-pressure round and a good one to begin reloading with because this allows more room for error. One thing I might add is that you need more grains with slower burning powders. Using a slow burner will prevent you from ever accidentally double-filling a case. That is one of the things I hate about Bullseye. It is cheap because you use so little (which I like), but you can double charge a case and might not notice. Blue Dot is great for this. I use it all the time in my 10mm loads. No fear of doubles, and it throws a hell of a flame.

231 all the way, great powder for .45 load.. you seem to have it, go for it just make sure to setup your aol..

if you take your primed case and bullet weigh them then just add your powder charge to the total, they can be up to 2 grains diff if not all the same cases and so on, you can measure a bunch before hand to see if they come out to the same weight and then load them up..

cool, thanks guys.. wonder if i should tie the Kimber to a tree and use some string to pull the trigger on the first one :icon_lol:

I was worried with my first reloads too. Was going to ask the wife to try it first, but she declined. Wait until you pull the trigger on the first one and she goes bang, the action cycles and a smile creeps over your face. A great feeling. :icon_e_biggrin:

Yeah, once i sat down and spent some time with everything it all sorta made sense.. My brass is all shot once factory stuff, so it's all in good shape. other than the triple checking weights and such, it's stupid easy... I need to invest in a little better scale tho, the cheapy one i have is a pain in the butt.. it's zero'd correctly, but just too small and what not.. BTW Bry@n, I have a FREE BOX OF . 45AMMO for you... ^_^

Well thanks to everyone for the tips, help and suggestions. I shot my first 10 reloaded rounds today, they all went bang, no problems! I was a bit nervous, but real excited when they all did what they were supposed too! Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thanks, yeah I made a decision before i shot them, I wouldn't change the way I did the first 10, (unless of course things went horribly wrong!!) double/triple checking everything.. and hey, the more time i spend downstairs the better :-)