kenw

Introducing kids to shooting sports

Is there a minimum age before a child can shoot a handgun? At the range or match?

I think the minimum at Cherry Ridge is 12 for a handgun. I've seen kids much younger than that at the silo range. I'm not sure if there's any state law regarding that, or if it's just range policy.

Looks good Ken. I agree that posting the 4 rules would be a good idea, since not everyone is familiar with them. Is it also possible to link the 4-H and BSA websites to their shooting programs in your article? The more the info, and the easier the research for the reader the better.

Looks good Ken. I agree that posting the 4 rules would be a good idea, since not everyone is familiar with them. Is it also possible to link the 4-H and BSA websites to their shooting programs in your article? The more the info, and the easier the research for the reader the better.

The links will be there, as well as the link to the njShoot FAQ on the 4 rules.

Guest schutzen-jager

Picture070.jpg

my grandsons first time at 8 years old -

The Salem county sportsmans club has a NRA day once a year. It's meant for kids to learn to shoot and gun safety. Not saying you don't get the a-hole 40 year old who keeps getting in line taking an 8 year olds spot but it's a good time.

Ken,

I would add the Eddie Eagle rules - I taught the kids those rules first.

"If you see a gun, stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult."

It sounds easy and it is.

Good idea. they'll go in on the edit.

This thread has taken me down memory lane. The first time I shot a gun was in the basement of the local PAL when I was about 8 or 9 years old. Teaching kids to shoot is inconceivable to some parents today but the PAL had a structured program that emphasized saftety and the fundamentals of marksmanship. We used old single shot .22 rifles and open sights. As I recall the instructors were always telling me to slow down because I had a tendency to shoot too fast and run through all my ammo. Well, I suppose some things never change :D I wasn't a very good shot but I had a great time anyway.

By the way, does anyone remember Edelman's in Wayne?

The article is looking great so far! You've covered the safety aspect well, and that's the most important thing. Maybe you can include a paragraph on making it a fun, memorable experience for the child. I like SpecialK's idea of shooting at clay targets and letting them keep a piece. I always start new shooters with Shoot N See targets so they can peel them off the backstop to keep as a memento.

I fought my nephew to shoot. We went over the recently revised NRA rules (keep muzzle in a safe direction, keep finger off the trigger, keep gun unloaded until ready to use) (this is treating a gun as though it's loaded). We practiced safe handeling. We practiced sight alignment and dry firing. We also covered breathing control and trigger squeeze. We did this in my house. When we wentto the range we raviewed all the above then started with 1 round at a time shooting. We used cans and plastic bottles set at different ranges from 15 feet to 20 yards. He enjoyed it and did well.

Is there a minimum age before a child can shoot a handgun? At the range or match?

At cherry ridge it's 10 to watch, 12 to shoot. I checked because I wanna start teaching my boy (he's 7). As of right now he only knows the Eddie Eagle rules by heart.

I've taught my kids not to touch guns since they were old enough to identify one. I also don't let them play with toy or Nerf guns, not even at a neighbor's house. Call it the bleeding heart liberal in me, but I just don't like the idea of a child pointing a gun (no matter how toy-like it is) at another child. No cops and robbers for my kids, but they would rather play baseball anyway. That's just my $0.02. I don't have a problem with other parents making their own choices.

My oldest son is 7 years old and has his own bolt-action, single shot .22 Cricket, which I love almost as much as he does. I keep the gun and ammunition locked up, although he can dry fire it with a snap cap or clean it any time he wants, he just has to ask me to get it out for him. I think he was around 6 when we started shooting. I taught him the Eddie the Eagle rules first, followed by the 4 safety rules. He now must recite those rules from memory before we get in the car to go to Range 14.

When my oldest boy was about 4, my brother bought him a realistic-looking Indiana Jones type revolver as a Hanukkah present. Naturally, I was mortified, and I put the toy revolver away in my gun safe.

Last year, around Halloween, I thought about selling the toy revolver on eBay since there seemed to be demand for Indiana Jones costumes. I brought the toy revolver up to my office to take pictures of it. When I was done, I left the toy revolver on my desk. Then, I went upstairs to get a snack and I forgot about the toy revolver.

My son came and found me a few hours later and he looked very serious. He said to me: "Daddy, why did you leave a firearm on your desk where a kid could get to it." I'm serious. He said "firearm." So I thanked him. I told him that he was right and I was wrong. And I took the toy revolver and put it back in my safe.

I've used that story a number of times with ... not anti-gun ... but gun-ambivalent friends and neighbors to illustrate why you should teach your kids about the dangers of firearms, and why you should keep them locked up.

• Like 2