siderman

hey Vets-best "in country knife"?

ka-bar if you're a marine

M9 if you are army

butter knife if you are air force

:icon_mrgreen:

I carried the issued M9 with me in Iraq and brought a ka-bar, but never used it. If I could go back and do it again I would hav liked to bring one of these with me though https://www.kabar.com/product/productDetail.do?productNumber=BK3&mode=category&categoryId=1,7,9&categoryName=Military/Tactical

• Like 2

allright, let me start off with something a little different. Hajji is a blade oriented society. They are taught that a knife or blade is your first weapon and thus they respect a knife and someone who carries one. I carried 3 different blades depending on what my op was. I always carried a WWII vintage ka-bar. The early WWII ones have a higher carbon steel and are better quality than the ones being currently made. THEY WILL HOLD AN EDGE LONGER! It was very common to see older WWII knives there in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I then carried either a kukri, or a tomahawk. A kukri is a very common and versitile knife. It can be used for anything from digging a hole, to splitting wood. It is an all around sturdy and extremely heavy duty knife and well worth it. A cold steel tomahawk is a mans best friend. It can be used for either CQB or as a tool. I would rip apart helicopters, so I got a lot of use out of it. For a first timer I would recommend a kukri as a general purpose blade.

Do a google search for a tomahawk and kukri in the sandbox and you will get a lot of info on people that bring them over.

31nO7FJ4LhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

CS-90VT.jpg

Guest megaman

As someone who roamed around in Sarajevo a knife never really came into the equation.

I carried a full size black Ka-bar.

Its a good knife all around. If you are going east, you need a small cutlass type.

As USNMARS stated, Hajji is very blade oriented. Sarajevo was more SKS M59 oriented... :icon_e_biggrin:

I keep a straight blade, stainless, medium folder as a personal knife for eating, cutting webbing or paracord, and small things. I also keep an M9 and that would be used in a combat role and heavier cutting. Thats plenty to me and I wouldn't want to add anymore weight. I wouldn't choose a different combat knife because you don't gain that much and would lose the bayonet ability. I also wouldn't carry more than 2 knives.

Depends on the purpose...Gerber Mk II for killing. Swamp Rat 'Camp Tramp' (if you can find one) for everything else. I got both plus keep a nice SOG folder for small work.

Edit - They call it the Rodent 4 now...friggin marketing people.

http://zknives.com/k...kw/srkwtc.shtml

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/