Shawnmoore81

11 year old girl and her davey cricket

A single shot bolt action .22 :icon_lol:

Honestly, I would be proud as hell if that was my daughter....ESPECIALLY because that lead to the arrest. But I would teacher her how to shoot something a little more efficient :icon_razz:

X2. Id be building her an AR B)

and teaching her to keep her finger off the trigger during news interviews :icon_lol::icon_lol:

There is only one problem I see with the story. The fact is unless the news report is quite wrong with the series of events the fire arm had no effect on the situation and it was the mere fact that someone was in the home that spooked the would be robbers off as they split before she had grabbed the gun or at least at a minimum they were gone before they would have been aware she had a gun. Otherwise I believe the girl handled the situation quite well for herself. She may have made some, what could be called, tactical mistakes like clearing the house instead of finding a defensible position and waiting but, that is a mistake plenty of adults would make in that situation and most people would never second guess.

Would you be happier if I had said "in general, not in favor of kids having unsupervised access to loaded guns"?

I think the issue is training. A properly trained 11yo is perfectly capable of safe firearm ownership. I got my own

12ga at 12yo and was hunting before that. It really depends on your environment and training.

And putting a "qualifier" in there is all I wanted to hear you say.

See, we be in more agreement on this topic than it initially appeared.

You FAILED to answer the first question though. What is wrong with someone not supporting unsupervised access to a loaded firearm?

OK listen VERY carefully...There is nothing WRONG with anyone SUPPORTING anything that is lawful. Period. Got that?

I just contend that the position that was taken when stated as an absolute was illogical.

Hope that is clear.

I don't see how stating it as an absolute is illogical. Even if raised properly, 18 years and younger are SO unpredictable that I don't think that UNSUPERVISED access is appropriate. I am not saying that there aren't any 18 and younger that are mature enough to handle the responsibility, but it is absolutely impossible as a parent to know 100% that your child will handle a loaded firearm properly unsupervised. So why risk it?