coley

Looking for a .308 semi-auto

Well... Parker, again it matters who is doing the doing. Olympic tried their hand at cast recievers in AR's and frankly they sucked big time! But in Rugers case its not just that they do good casting. Their guns are designed to be cast.

Bill Ruger and how he's built his products are definitely a success story. Was unaware of Olympic. I'm just not well-versed in the AR arena.

Cylinder Head, have you ever seen or even heard of a broken SA reciever? I havent and Ive looked! Dont discount cast. There are advantages to each process. It really depends who is doing the doing :) Id probably rather have a cast reciever from SA than a forged reciever from Norinco. Id rather have a forged LRB than a forged Norinco. Caspian 1911 frames are cast and I have FULL faith in them and would take a cast Caspian 1911 frame over a forged SA 1911 frame! The whole cast/forged/billet debate is a deep one. Been in several discussion with several metalurical experts. I came away with a headache and retained this answer. As Wild Bill Caldwell would say, Forged vs Cast vs Billet, it depends!

I have personally not heard about a broken SA receiver, ever. Nor did I ever have any issues with my M1A SOCOM II, however I did swap the bolt and guide rod for USGI spec forged parts. What I have heard is that just about every Springfield M1A that shows up at a 3-5 day course ends up having some sort of issue from the instructors I've talked to. They just don't like to be truly abused.

I have heard the very same thing but I have never heard it due to the reciever, just crappy internals. As I understand it they should all be swapped out for USGI. There are also some gas system mods that can be done to help reliability. Dont get me wrong I would love a LRB, but I wouldnt be concearned of a reciever failure if I had a SA.

Shane

I have heard the very same thing but I have never heard it due to the reciever, just crappy internals. As I understand it they should all be swapped out for USGI. There are also some gas system mods that can be done to help reliability. Dont get me wrong I would love a LRB, but I wouldnt be concearned of a reciever failure if I had a SA.

Shane

Nowadays you're just better off with a KAC, a LaRue OBR, an LMT MWS, or a SCAR-17.

Hey all....

It's been a couple months, but I finally saved enough cash to get myself a rifle. It always seems to be something emptying out my "rifle" money. Anyway, I ordered a PTR-91C from Walt at Hackettstown G & A. He should have it by Tuesday at the latest.

Gotta order me some ammo..... :-)

Hey all....

It's been a couple months, but I finally saved enough cash to get myself a rifle. It always seems to be something emptying out my "rifle" money. Anyway, I ordered a PTR-91C from Walt at Hackettstown G & A. He should have it by Tuesday at the latest.

Gotta order me some ammo..... :-)

i got a case from here its the best deal i could find

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP308FMJ145&name=Prvi+Partizan+.308+FMJ+145grn+20rd+Box&groupid=164

I did and it is sweeeeet!

Thanks for the find.

I just ordered a case. Great price, and re-loadable brass. The brass alone is worth around $400 if you were to purchase some new Winchester brass. Will use in my m1a, then reload for my BA.

just to let you know wideners is about 5 dollars cheaper per 200 rounds as a heads up on this ammo.

This is good ammo, shoots decently and the brass is annealed brass and looks to be good quality I'll let you know how it is when I start reloading it

I have no experience reloading Privi but I have read that its not very good to reload. Just a heads up.

I looked into it beforehand, and the consensus is that it is not best for chasing one hole or benchrest. I'm fine with this as I have my Lapua and Winchester brass for that. My purpose for this is to use in the m1a, and reload for it as well. I don't want to use my good brass with the m1a as it does chew it up a little, and I won't be angry if i loose a few or ppl step on a few here and there.

just to let you know wideners is about 5 dollars cheaper per 200 rounds as a heads up on this ammo.

This is good ammo, shoots decently and the brass is annealed brass and looks to be good quality I'll let you know how it is when I start reloading it

Non-bulk discount:

Aim - $95 for 200

Widners - $94 for 200

Bulk discounts:

Aim - $447.50 for 1,000

Widners - $460 for 1,000

Cool thanks. That's a good price.

I ordered a couple different brands at 100 rounds each.... Including Prvi.... just to see what runs good from Ammunition To Go.

I looked into it beforehand, and the consensus is that it is not best for chasing one hole or benchrest. I'm fine with this as I have my Lapua and Winchester brass for that. My purpose for this is to use in the m1a, and reload for it as well. I don't want to use my good brass with the m1a as it does chew it up a little, and I won't be angry if i loose a few or ppl step on a few here and there.

Non-bulk discount:

Aim - $95 for 200

Widners - $94 for 200

Bulk discounts:

Aim - $447.50 for 1,000

Widners - $460 for 1,000

If your going to reload what is the point of buying a 1000 rounds. 400 rounds of brass will last you quite some time. But hey thats just me

If your going to reload what is the point of buying a 1000 rounds. 400 rounds of brass will last you quite some time. But hey thats just me

Starting off with components, assuming I'm going to reload the 400 brass up to 1000 rounds. Sure it will be a higher quality than the initial components Privi uses, but as I said I'm not splitting hairs with this stuff:

400 Winchester brass - $160

1000 Winchester 147gr FMJBT - $220

1000 CCI #200 primers - $30

6lbs of Varget powder - $109

Total $519

Privi 1000 rounds shipped is $476

So here I'm getting 1000 rounds ready to go bang out of the box, so the first time around I save a lot of time, and I have 1000 re-loadable brass shells to use for however long I need them. Not to mention things only seem to get more expensive over time, so I'm not upset if I sit on 500 rounds of once fired .308 Privi brass until I need it.

I too am thinking to start reloading 308. Can someone tell me the cost per round or 1000 rd assuming I'm not paying for brass and not using match bullets just pumping out your avarage 308 round thanks much

I too am thinking to start reloading 308. Can someone tell me the cost per round or 1000 rd assuming I'm not paying for brass and not using match bullets just pumping out your avarage 308 round thanks much

Using my calculations above (and perhaps you can find cheaper sources..):

Winchester .308 brass is $20 per 50, about 40 cents per shell

Winchester .308 147gr FMJBT is about 22 cents per bullet

CCI #200 primer is 3 cents

42 gr of Varget is about 3.5 cents

= $1.27 per round new

After reloading, you can subtract the initial shell cost of .40, making a reload cost .87 cents.

25-30 cents a round using bulk primers/powder (buying 8lbs powder/ 5k primer bricks) and surplus pulled bullets

http://www.hi-techammo.com/hitech.zkb?root&GENMENU601D&object-menu6