coley

Looking for a .308 semi-auto

Hello all,

I wanna buy myself a nice Christmas present and I've been looking at different .308 semi-automatics online. I've been to a couple different shops and I haven't been able to hold any, so I'm pretty open to suggestions.

I'm interested in killing some paper at 100-200 yards (not competition) and my budget is up to $1500, but will go a little higher if needed.

I currently own a couple handguns and a 22 rifle.

Any suggestions?

I'm interested in killing some paper at 100-200 yards (not competition) and my budget is up to $1500, but will go a little higher if needed.

If your ONLY interest is paper targets at 100-200 yards, then an AR15 will do just as well, and cost less to both build, and to shoot as .223 is much cheaper than .308. Parts like mags will also be easier to come by. Just a suggestion.

While I hate threads where the OP asks something specific and the responders all answer something other than what was asked, I'm afraid I'm going to have to plead guilty in this instance. Why not consider a nice .308 bolt gun? Less money, less prodigious use of ammunition and just as much fun. Be circumspect in your choices, stretch your budget a little and get both a 5.56 AR type AND a .308 bolt gun - then you will really be ready when the SHTF.

Welcome to the forum.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I own numerous semi 308's and I like them all, but my favorite would have to be my Springfield M1A. They start in the $1400's for a basic model and run upwards of $2500 for a match grade. You should be able to get something really nice for $1500 - $1800.

The PSL Eric mentioned above is a great value for the money if you're on a budget.

I have to agree with the M1A. I have an M1A Standard Loaded and love it. It is very accurate way past your desired range. Fifteen round magazines are available cheap from Brownells. There is a lot of DAG German surplus 7.62 NATO ammo available.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As far as a .223, I have thought about them and I have friends who own .223's. I can shoot them pretty much when ever I want. I want something different.

Thought about bolt action also. In fact, that was my 1st choice... but I changed my mind.... although a .223 and a bolt action? Gotta think about that, might be an option. ;-)

I've been looking at the AR-10's and M1A's.... I like them both on paper, but I haven't been able to hold one.

Anyone around me stock anything? I haven't had much luck, so I'm willing to travel a bit. The Silver Bullet supposedly has three, but I guess I caught Frank on a bad day and I left when he got annoyed and started yelling when I said I wasn't sure what I wanted.... And I'm former customer. I bought a 9mm handgun and a 22 rifle off him.... I'll never set foot in his shop again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As far as a .223, I have thought about them and I have friends who own .223's. I can shoot them pretty much when ever I want. I want something different.

Thought about bolt action also. In fact, that was my 1st choice... but I changed my mind.... although a .223 and a bolt action? Gotta think about that, might be an option. ;-)

I've been looking at the AR-10's and M1A's.... I like them both on paper, but I haven't been able to hold one.

Anyone around me stock anything? I haven't had much luck, so I'm willing to travel a bit. The Silver Bullet supposedly has three, but I guess I caught Frank on a bad day and I left when he got annoyed and started yelling when I said I wasn't sure what I wanted.... And I'm former customer. I bought a 9mm handgun and a 22 rifle off him.... I'll never set foot in his shop again.

He's like that and I don't understand him, I get along with him, but I've seen him do just what you said. Besides you can get them cheaper than from him.

I got mine at a show in PA, they're always available at better shows over there. Other than SB, in the north, maybe Bullet Hole? You should call them first.

DPMS 308.... 16in barrel.. well within your budget.. has been very accurate for me..

Here are the two groups I shot on Sunday... better of the two was second..

111420102.jpg

111420101.jpg

both shot a little low but I think that is just scope adjustment.. really happy with how the gun shot.. 5 shot groups.. slow from the bench..

This is the rifle..

308working.jpg

Hello,

I would get a Springfield M1A Scout 18" barrel. Thats what I have and love it. Put mine in a Troy MCS battle stock with Magpul PRS buttstock. That way I have an endless assortment and configuration of optics and sights to choose from and it looks very evil too :icon_twisted:

Hello all,

I wanna buy myself a nice Christmas present and I've been looking at different .308 semi-automatics online. I've been to a couple different shops and I haven't been able to hold any, so I'm pretty open to suggestions.

I currently own a couple handguns and a 22 rifle.

Any suggestions?

They will all be accurate enough. Really it does come down to the style of shooting you want to do.

Do you want to blast away paper and feel like Rambo? Then Semi Auto.

or... Do you want to spend more time staring down the scope and waiting for wind to die down to get that shot? In that case, go bolt action. But whatever you do... don't get a random gun just because it fires 308.

They will all be accurate enough. Really it does come down to the style of shooting you want to do.

Do you want to blast away paper and feel like Rambo? Then Semi Auto.

or... Do you want to spend more time staring down the scope and waiting for wind to die down to get that shot? In that case, go bolt action. But whatever you do... don't get a random gun just because it fires 308.

you can do that with semi auto.. that is how I shot those groups.. just takes a little more patience.. :icon_e_biggrin:

But whatever you do... don't get a random gun just because it fires 308.

This. I think that you need to decide what kind of shooting you want to do. After that, you can pick which firearm and caliber will best suit that need.

Thanks for all the replies, but after emergency surgery on my dog for a huge tear of his skin, my firearm fund has been depleted. So... until I can save up again, this purchase will be on hold.

Good news is my Greyhound will be fine.

M1A's are great rifles, but Springfield examples are not to USGI spec and the cast parts (including but not specific to-the receiver) will break under hard use. If you want a great example of a USGI gun be prepared to spend good money. LRB makes excellent M1A's.

That being said, get yourself a SCAR-17 and call it a day.

Cylinder Head, have you ever seen or even heard of a broken SA reciever? I havent and Ive looked! Dont discount cast. There are advantages to each process. It really depends who is doing the doing :) Id probably rather have a cast reciever from SA than a forged reciever from Norinco. Id rather have a forged LRB than a forged Norinco. Caspian 1911 frames are cast and I have FULL faith in them and would take a cast Caspian 1911 frame over a forged SA 1911 frame! The whole cast/forged/billet debate is a deep one. Been in several discussion with several metalurical experts. I came away with a headache and retained this answer. As Wild Bill Caldwell would say, Forged vs Cast vs Billet, it depends!

For the limited shooting I do with my SA M1A each year, last year being the most since the 90's; I still think it's good and close in appearance to the original. The investment cast receiver doesn't bother me. For a rifle that lives with me in modern times in the suburbs and goes to the range occasionally, not to battle; it's durable enough for me and should be for anyone else. It's accurate with peep sights and probably more accurate than I'm capable. I can achieve a little over 4" groups @ 200 yds. for 5-shots from a sandbagged bench rest with mine. The only knock I have against the M1A is I like to reload and hate chasing brass. (Probably why I like using the M1A's gas cutoff.) But, I'd opt for a good .308 bolt-action over an M1A as a "first" centerfire rifle for punching paper if you'd like a suggestion yet want something more than the .223.

If investment casting is considered a weakness, then Ruger would have been out of business years ago. Instead, they have been using the process since 1956 and most forged Ruger barrels wear out on their rifles long before any action fatigues. Their bolt actions and single-shots are extremely strong for investment cast and can handle cartridges much more intense than a .308.