johna hex

help deciding

What's up NJ? Idk if anybody read my other post but here goes..... do you think its worth me dishing out another 200 bucks on a .223 or stick with the cx4? I have a px4 so it would be nice to have that combo but if I didn't have the px4 I would definetly pick up a .223. Let me know Jersey

What's up NJ? Idk if anybody read my other post but here goes..... do you think its worth me dishing out another 200 bucks on a .223 or stick with the cx4? I have a px4 so it would be nice to have that combo but if I didn't have the px4 I would definetly pick up a .223. Let me know Jersey

It depends what you want to do with it. These days the cost of 223 ammo not that much different than 9mm. Your CX4 is a nice gun (I have owned two) and great for the indoor range, but it is tough to shoot a pistol caliber carbine much past 100 yards (less if you have the 45ACP version). I personally would want a 223 to be able to take to an outdoor range. Shooting at distance is a lot of fun. There are plenty of inexpensive but quality bolt and semi-auto rifles out there in 223.

one is pistol caliber intended for short range engagement especially useful in tight narrow spaces.

the other is a rifle caliber meant for engaging targets more at rifle range.

they are not imo interchangeable.. 223 is not a bad caliber, but I am not a fan in particular.... I own a cx4 in 40s&w the gun is accurate well out to 100 yards.. for rifle caliber I chose russian 7.62x39.. and for longer range 308..

I would recommend the cx4 any day.. but you should own a rifle caliber as well imo..

I think that if you want to be a diverse shooter you should own the following..

Handgun

shotgun

short range light rifle

long range precision rifle

having a collection at least that diverse will allow you a great range of shooting styles..

I would go for a 5.56AR personally. Lots of versatility. You can make a light one short range AR or a long range one, i would go with medium wieght around 8lbs and medium range -16" barrel. And if you ever venture into long range you have a choice of 7.62 or 308 bolt action which are priced great if you find a milsup. I've never been a fan of the pistol cartridge rifles, nor have really understood the need for one. There lighter, but the same size of a regular AR, A rifle like vlad stated is for shooting at rifle type distances, a cx4 is basically the same thing as a px4 with a longer barrel, it a rifle that shoots just past pistol type distances, it offers pistol type distances with the stability of a rifle.

So a more important question is what do you plan on using it for? I purchased my 5.56AR with anticipation of shooting between 150-300yrds, and plan on getting a 308 for 300+

Just for comparison you can get decent 9mm round for around 20c a bullet, 5.56 will be about 30c a bullet. depending... 7.62 will be about the same as 5.56 but it will be russian made and probably corrosive, better ammo will cost you much more.

I like how vlad put it, you want versatility and diversity in your first couple purchases, try and get guns that will give you different options for different scenarios, IMHO the px4 and cx4 are too closely related in terms of what they offer the shooter, if you had or have a decent collection already and want one i would say go for it, but if your just starting i would get something that offers you something you don't already have.

• Like 1

It depends what you want to do with it. These days the cost of 223 ammo not that much different than 9mm. Your CX4 is a nice gun (I have owned two) and great for the indoor range, but it is tough to shoot a pistol caliber carbine much past 100 yards (less if you have the 45ACP version). I personally would want a 223 to be able to take to an outdoor range. Shooting at distance is a lot of fun. There are plenty of inexpensive but quality bolt and semi-auto rifles out there in 223.

Chris- What are you talking about? .223 cost about 50% more than 9mm unless you shoot that steel cased ****. I wouldn't shoot that stuff in any gun I valued.

Chris- What are you talking about? .223 cost about 50% more than 9mm unless you shoot that steel cased ****. I wouldn't shoot that stuff in any gun I valued.

I guess it depends what kind of gun you use. There are knowledgeable folks out there who run nothing but steel cased ammo in their AR rifles. For the cost of an occasional extractor, you can shoot a hell of a lot more ammo for the same price. The only time I would feel the need to use brass cased ammo is if I were doing precision shooting. Brass expands much more nicely to the chamber dimensions than steel and the reduced blowback helps accuracy. Since I have no love for the AR and don't own one any more, I feel even less guilt running steel cased ammo through my Commie guns.

if you buy federal xm193 u can get bulk 1000rd cases for 300 delivered to your door if you know where to look...or 500 for $150 that new lake city brass, not reloads. Now i know its not .223 it's 5.56!

Pm me if your interested and i'll share my source.

... .223 cost about 50% more than 9mm unless you shoot that steel cased ****....

Not true if you shop around.

Cabelas periodically(although not at the moment) has federal american eagle brass cased/FMJ .223 for $5.99/box of 20 which works out to $.29/round.

Most "target" 9mm ammo I buy (brass cased, FMJ) is somewhere between $.20 and $.26/round.

I buy cases of Fiocchi 9mm for $200 a case, and Fiocchi 62gr .223 for $300 a case. Top quality stuff, after 6,000 rounds of it I've had two bad primers total.

Thanks guys I can see all the different points.... I'm not planning on getting a cx4 for the distance I like the fact that in the event of an emergency I could grab one type of ammo and have one type of magazine for both weapons and swap back and forth

that is a great reason to own that gun... it is what pushed me to get the CX4 in the first place.. I do not share the luxury of swappable magazines.. but it is the same caliber as my hand gun..

I sold my Cx4. I found myself not taking it to the range anymore after the coolness factor wore off. If was going indoor 25 yards, I wanted to brush up on my pistol skills. If I'm going to the rifle range, I'm brushing up on my 100-200 meter skills. I found the Cx4 not very thrilling to shoot at 50 meter + ranges. I'd much rather be using a HP rifle.

Ammo price difference was not a factor for me. Cheap practice 5.56 or 7.62x39 isn't much more than practice 9mm ammo.

Pistol caliber carbines fill a gap that doesn't exist for me personally. Nothing a shotgun, pistol, or rifle can't handle.

Only way I would see it being handy is if I was in LE where:

- ammo/magazine interchangeability would be nice. If grabbing the carbine out of the trunk, and you already have spare mags on your belt, pretty handy.

- need in situations for more precision shots than pistol or shotgun provides

- situations where an M4 or similar rifle carbine would be overkill, as in excessive barrier penetration in urban settings

I really feel pistol caliber carbines shine (and were originally designed for) in submachine gun roles where full auto is utilized. The gun is heavy compared to the power of the round, hence recoil is manageable helping to keeping FA shots on target. Good for putting a lot of lead on targets at short ranges. Pretty much not an argument for us NJ citizens.

I sold my Cx4. I found myself not taking it to the range anymore after the coolness factor wore off. If was going indoor 25 yards, I wanted to brush up on my pistol skills.

The big plus for me is that I can make a much smaller grouping with my Ruger PC-9 than with any of my pistols. The same was true with my Marlin Lever gun in 357mag.

I sold my Cx4. I found myself not taking it to the range anymore after the coolness factor wore off. If was going indoor 25 yards, I wanted to brush up on my pistol skills. If I'm going to the rifle range, I'm brushing up on my 100-200 meter skills. I found the Cx4 not very thrilling to shoot at 50 meter + ranges. I'd much rather be using a HP rifle.

Ammo price difference was not a factor for me. Cheap practice 5.56 or 7.62x39 isn't much more than practice 9mm ammo.

Pistol caliber carbines fill a gap that doesn't exist for me personally. Nothing a shotgun, pistol, or rifle can't handle.

Only way I would see it being handy is if I was in LE where:

- ammo/magazine interchangeability would be nice. If grabbing the carbine out of the trunk, and you already have spare mags on your belt, pretty handy.

- need in situations for more precision shots than pistol or shotgun provides

- situations where an M4 or similar rifle carbine would be overkill, as in excessive barrier penetration in urban settings

I really feel pistol caliber carbines shine (and were originally designed for) in submachine gun roles where full auto is utilized. The gun is heavy compared to the power of the round, hence recoil is manageable helping to keeping FA shots on target. Good for putting a lot of lead on targets at short ranges. Pretty much not an argument for us NJ citizens.

a cx4 could quite possibly be one of the single best home defense gun.. especially for a smaller sized firearms novice..

12gauge vs 40S&W - a caliber like 40S&W is far more manageable and allows for quicker follow up shots due to extremely low recoil..

pump vs semi auto - again for a novice like my girlfriend who is smaller framed.. it is easier for her to get on target with follow up fire without having to do anything..

size - my cx4 is almost half the size of my Mossberg making it very tight around corners when utilized in a building..

ergonomics - I love my Mossberg but the cx4 sits very tight to the body and is VERY easy to point..

carbine vs pistol - the carbine has an ergonomic edge support from the shoulder.. but additionally the added barrel length makes up more velocity

I am on target with my cx4 out to 100 yards.. I will never encounter a threat that will be a threat beyond ten yards.. there is really no need for a shotgun inside a small apartment.. the added benefits of the carbine over pistol make it an awesome choice as a HD gun.. imo of course..

• Like 1

I don't disagree with you guys. Something being "fun and cool" is definitely a huge part of deciding on a gun.

Vlad, Looks like it fills a good niche for you in terms of the shotgun being too much gun for your circumstances, more compact than the shotgun, and more user friendly.. small apartment, girlfriend may need to employ it. The benefit of more velocity should also increase stopping power. I agree on the novice point, as the Cx4 would excel at this. If someone is intimidated by a shotgun, and not so great with a pistol (i have a friend that can't hit the side of a barn), the carbine would be an excellent choice.

I was just expressing my thought process, and why I in particular wasn't feeling it.

Vlad i think you got it dead on ...... i want it for home defense and emergency situations. i think ima pick up my cx4 first then debate whether AK or AR. that'll be my next post..lol

I'll have an opinion on that to.. but I'll wait till you make the post..

good luck with the purchase!

Cool! I'm guessing you skipped the Cx4 and an AR and went with a good plinker. Nothing wrong with that bro. As far as optics, a cheapo red dot will suffice. It's just a trainer gun so it must remain cheap.

Cool! I'm guessing you skipped the Cx4 and an AR and went with a good plinker. Nothing wrong with that bro. As far as optics, a cheapo red dot will suffice. It's just a trainer gun so it must remain cheap.

this is kind of the point I was getting around to.. the only reason I suggested shooting with irons is rather than waste 40-50-60 bucks on cheap optics maybe just use the gun with irons practice shooting...

yeah just plinking for now, like i said im not part of any gun club so i just jump between a couple spots... waiting to get into a club that i can utilize a long range rifle and high caliber rounds. Also im not trying to get a scope that cost as much as the gun. i just need some websites i could get a decent scope and mabe some nice goodies