Sign in to follow this  
Slick

Selling firearms

I'm looking for information on two issues. The first is that I have several shotguns and rifles that I looking to sell. How do you do that legally in NJ and where can you advertise those guns for sale. I really do not want to use the auction sites and have to ship guns around the country. Secondly, I have to handguns that I want to gift to my brother in N.C. (he has his local pemit). Both handguns were purchase with pistol permits in N.J.

for the long gun you and whoever you sell it to need to fill out this form.. keep copies..

a bill of sale is a nice touch but I do not believe it is needed..

pretty sure you both need valid NJ FID cards...

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf

for handguns within the state you need pistol permit..

for handgun out of state I am pretty sure you need an FFL... the transfer is relatively cheap..

not %100 sure on the pistol out of state.. pretty sure FFL is the way to go but I am not positive..

I'm looking for information on two issues. The first is that I have several shotguns and rifles that I looking to sell. How do you do that legally in NJ and where can you advertise those guns for sale. I really do not want to use the auction sites and have to ship guns around the country. Secondly, I have to handguns that I want to gift to my brother in N.C. (he has his local pemit). Both handguns were purchase with pistol permits in N.J.

If you want to sell long guns, you need to use a certificate of eligibility and verify that the purchaser has a firearms purchaser ID and a matching driver license. Simply fill out the form, each keeps a copy and it's done.

Handguns to a different state must be transferred through an FFL. The easiest way to go about this would be to drive down to NC and visit a local dealer with your brother and transfer the guns at the dealer. The dealer will typically charge you a fee for this since they have to do a NICS check and fill out a form.

You can advertise your guns here and probably sell them if you get a premiere membership. You must note the Identification requirements on your advertisement. There's a read me in the marketplace section.

One last note on shipping the handguns to an FFL in NC. If you ship them, they must go by air with either FedEx or UPS. If you have a NJ FFL ship them, the FFL can use the USPS. The post office may be cheaper even with the FFL's fee on top of the shipping. FedEx or UPS air is not inexpensive and you must declare that you are shipping a gun (nothing to indicate that is put on the package, you just have to let them know). You should check with the receiving FFL first, also - some will not accept shipments of firearms from non-FFL holders, which means you would have to use a NJ FFL..

Adios,

PIzza Bob

All the above posts are dead on so the only thinng I have to add is that you should hurry up, become a premere member (If you aren't yet) and post the guns on the marketplace. The marketplace has been lame lately. If your selling a pump 22 pm me, I want it; I come with my own paperwork and I'll teach you how to fill it out.

Adios

Medic Yeti

(Sorry Bob, I had to borrow Adios for at least one post.)

You should also send me a private message with what you're going to be selling so I can get a jump on the rest of the horde here! :icon_e_biggrin:

Bastard! Thats cheating. I hate when people try to screw their buddies.

Send ME the list and I will make sure it gets disseminated to all the members at the same time approx 72 hours later.

Seriously, you have gotten good advice here. You should be able to clear your inventory here fairly easily if the items are quality and are priced fairly. People here know their hobby, so gouging or overhyping a firearm will get you flamed.

Handguns to a different state must be transferred through an FFL. The easiest way to go about this would be to drive down to NC and visit a local dealer with your brother and transfer the guns at the dealer. The dealer will typically charge you a fee for this since they have to do a NICS check and fill out a form.

This is leagl and the easiest and least expensive way to do it (bring the guns when you go visit him). The only issue would be how to get the handguns off the NJSP books. I'd call the Firearms Unit and ask them what they would want. At the very least get a receipt from the FFL in NC.