Sign in to follow this  
tuktuk

vertical forward grip

vertical forward grip for AR, AK and any other rifle / carbine where appropriate.

I Wud like to know who has what? And wat is your opinion on which one is better? Long, short, shape, material, angled, useless, to the side, permanent or the one you can fold and on and on. Pls share ur intel. Thank you.

depends on the weapon.. on something really short like my CX4 I like a short stubby front grip.. on larger size rifles I LOVE the magpul AFG...

as a bonus it puts my thumb right where I can control the light without having wires and pressure switches all over the place.. some people prefer to run it forward.. I prefer it right in front of the magwell..

saigab.jpg

What Rob said, its personal preference. Some guys prefer the longer, more traditional broomsticks, others prefer the stubby-type VFGs. A lot of people also prefer the thumb brakes, albeit a niche community of shooters. And of course there is Magpul's Angled Fore Grip, which puts a spin on things.

Me personally? I don't like VFGs or anything else hanging off the front. When I did, I used the thumb-brake method anyway, and then realized that I could get a far better grip with no stick hanging off the front (because if you're vice-gripping the VFG, you're honestly not properly utilizing the grip, and your stance is suffering anyway).

Which really feeds into the whole argument of why a vertical grip is even necessary. Traditionally, with the amount of equipment a trooper could have on his rails, and the limited amount of real estate, where could he or she get a grip? So, the vertical grip was created, albeit its use has transformed a bit. You'll see them on M16's now as well, and this is because these 20'' barrels are a bit unwieldy, especially in Iraq, which was a good deal of urban-based operations. What is the ultimate application of a VFG on our, civilian, rifles? I don't know, nor am I judging either (I don't care what you put on your rifle :icon_e_smile:)-- but practicality/utility > aesthetics. Plus, you can save yourself $70-80+ (for a quality one).

I'm not a huge fan of them either. If i had a SBR i'd probably use one since there is less weight on the forward hand. I do like the magpul line up of accessories tho. Maybe it's just my stature, but it's less straining on my arm to hold it traditionally. Also it may depend on your hand guard, i have the RRA half quad free float, so the first couple inches from the mag is a hand grip that nice a smooth, then the bottom and side rails start. If i had a full rail i might consider the angled magpul like vlad has with it pulled all the way back.

%3ca%20href=IMG_1290.jpg">

I put one on my Colt to see what it was all about and shot at 25 meters. It worked very well, was very controllable. I bought the Promag Broom handle foregrip. It was $12 at Midway. The way I see it its mainly for close combat. if I was using my Colt for HD I would use one. I was in a mall ninja mood when I bought it. It's fun to use at the range but I would take it off for long range target shooting.

TC

i dont have an AR but a friend does. i tended to just grab the magazine when picking up the gun. he used the VFG. then i watched the magpul dvd and they show how they grip it. kinda like your left hand on a pistol. and i think I like it more that way. ill have to drag him to the range to try it out, but holding it differently sure made me more comfortable

I had a tangodown VFG on my last rifle, and on this one I switched to the Magpul AFG all the way up front. I feel like my accuracy suffered with the VFG, and it wasn't the most comfortable way to grip the gun. With my new rifle, I learned to shoot "Magpul Style" with my thumb over the top rail and my hand gripping the AFG. I feel like I'm driving the weapon now, instead of swinging it into place.

+1 for the AFG

-1 for any VFG

I had a tangodown VFG on my last rifle, and on this one I switched to the Magpul AFG all the way up front. I feel like my accuracy suffered with the VFG, and it wasn't the most comfortable way to grip the gun. With my new rifle, I learned to shoot "Magpul Style" with my thumb over the top rail and my hand gripping the AFG. I feel like I'm driving the weapon now, instead of swinging it into place.

+1 for the AFG

-1 for any VFG

You can still use the "Magpul style", "Thumb break" style with a standard VFG. Instead of grabbing it like a broom handle, you use it as a hand stop with maybe your ring finger and pinky on the VFG, the rest of your palm/hand along the side with your thumb on top like when using a Magpul AFG.

It all boils down to personal preference.

You can still use the "Magpul style", "Thumb break" style with a standard VFG. Instead of grabbing it like a broom handle, you use it as a hand stop with maybe your ring finger and pinky on the VFG, the rest of your palm/hand along the side with your thumb on top like when using a Magpul AFG.

It all boils down to personal preference.

I'm aware that is possible, but why pound the square peg into the round hole when there's a grip that's made specifically for the style I prefer?

I'm aware that is possible, but why pound the square peg into the round hole when there's a grip that's made specifically for the style I prefer?

It was more for the OP, in that if he decided to purchase a broom handle style, it could still be used both ways.

ETA: I have a AFG myself, and think they are pretty good. I also shoot a different AR with no VFG, and find both styles have pros and cons