Sign in to follow this  
Wojo

Just picked up a 10/22 - Rotary Mag Concern

I picked up a stainless / synthetic 10/22 today from Dick's, along with a Tru-Glo Red dot and a few magazines. Question, do these rotary mags suck or what?

I know I am new to these things, but I had a couple of instances where the (I guess) recoil spring wasn't spinning the round up so the bolt could catch it. I'm thinking do I need to preload the spring, feed the squirrel, or is it a poor design. They were factory Ruger mags so they ought to be GTG.

Please share any collective wisdom on these mag's.

All in all, I was pretty happy how it shot. Windy as hell at CR today.

Strange...maybe I was fubar'ing it some how. It seemed to happen the first time or two I loaded two mags, the third didn't do it. As the time went on, it never happened again. I am glad that there aren't any known issues.

I've shot 10/22s for over 40 years and have had zero problems with the magazines.

I wish I could have had the time to buy an older style 10/22 instead of these rotary style configuration ones.

Here is a link to every link you need. One of the links shows you how to disassemble and reassemble the rotary magazine. It is not hard once you do it a few times. Your magazine may not be wound all the way up.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123409

• Like 1

I wish I could have had the time to buy an older style 10/22 instead of these rotary style configuration ones.

Always rotary mags in the 10/22. If you're looking for a 44 Ruger carbine with a tubular mag I may know someone.

Here is a link to every link you need. One of the links shows you how to disassemble and reassemble the rotary magazine. It is not hard once you do it a few times. Your magazine may not be wound all the way up.

http://www.rimfirece...ad.php?t=123409

Thanks for the link. That is what it felt like, not fully wound.

How much resistance should I feel loading the rounds in say when I get to 8, 9 or 10?

I use the butler creek steel lips mags for my 10/22. they are a stick type mag with a more straight type feed and one benefit is that you can use thier crank fed speed loader to stoke them almost as fast as you can shoot them. The loader doesn't really work with the oem rotary mags though.

Thanks for the link. That is what it felt like, not fully wound.

How much resistance should I feel loading the rounds in say when I get to 8, 9 or 10?

It's subjective but by round 8 or 9, I can feel it is more difficult to get the round in there. However, with some of the mags, there is little resistance and others feel much tighter. However, all my rotary mags work fine, even when they are dirty. My 10/22 works with all ammo but Remington Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts (aka Thunderturds) are messy, dirty, smoky and tend to gunk up the mags.

It's subjective but by round 8 or 9, I can feel it is more difficult to get the round in there. However, with some of the mags, there is little resistance and others feel much tighter. However, all my rotary mags work fine, even when they are dirty. My 10/22 works with all ammo but Remington Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts (aka Thunderturds) are messy, dirty, smoky and tend to gunk up the mags.

Crap...I have a 1 1/2 bricks left of Thunderturd and just bought 4 - 525 Packs of Remy Golden...I hope the Plinkster eats them.

Anyone experience any ammo problems with their 10/22's?

Why, just why can't things be simple. :facepalm:

I get my ammo from the misfire bucket at the range. Usually its just ammo that was dropped or attempted to put through guns with really light springs due to trigger jobs, so I get about 80% to fire. When it fires, it feeds anything! 90% of the rejects in the can are remingtons with like 5 strikes on it. That stuff blows

Please don't tell me that you are a smoker and you pick thru ash trays looking for half smoked cig's or fish around McD's looking for half chewied nuggets. :blink:

I kid, of course you don't...right?

Wojo,

I had one mag, new out of the box that either missed quality control or the spring let go. I was able to fix it though with the simple directions at this site: http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

For the record, my 10/22 doesn't like Rem golden bullshyte.

I have a factory rotary mag that is about 15 years old. I've fired about 200 rounds through it I would guess. Left it loaded for a few years and now it's dead. For whatever reason.

But my 10/22 will indeed eat a wide variety of ammo reliably. I don't actually remember any of my 10/22s having a problem with any ammo.

Well, the Thunder-turds sucked as did the Golden zhits in my 10/22. I would up putting it in the trunk for the rest of the Appleseed until I figure out what to feed it. Another discovery, my new Mossberg Plinkster should be call the shitster or jamster. Both Remy rounds mentioned above jammed on almost every magazine. The Ely purple box worked better, not great, but better.