Yellowshaker

Another interested AR buyer

Guys, I have been looking at the S&W OCR and the RRA versions of the AR-15. Both are around 1000 bucks and I am not sure if they one of them are the way to go, or would you recommend something else. I would like something in tactical trim with a long range scope and also a close quarters type site on it. I know these will have to be purchased seperately, and would like opinions. I am looking to get a tactical rail for the front for a light also. Give me some ideas guys. I am new to the AR style rifles. Thanks alot in advance and feel free to post some pictures for me here!

Long range and close quarters are at opposite ends of the spectrum. My wife shoots a 16" heavy barreled M4 style configuration though I shoot a 20" heavy barreled A3. Her rifle has a 1-4X Millet on it and she shoots 100yds fine.

But a 16" barrel sheds 200fps over a 20" barrel thus a rainbow trajectory w/ the 16".

Just some thoughts.

I would go with the RRA over the S&W, main reason being that you can get many nice features from factory that s&w dont have. RRA will also make your AR AWB complaint at factory. When i ordered mine they had no issues swapping out the collapsible stock for the operator fixed which is a really nice stock, its probably 3/4 the length of a regular fixed stock so its shorter + 2 battery compartments, and they pinned/welded the break on for me at no additional cost and threw in 10rd mags. I know with S&W you need to either get there AWB model or do the rest yourself. RRA is really nice and they will custom make your AR, and most come standard with the 2-stage trigger people love, and i concur. and they include a nice carry case.

This is my operator 2 elite w/eotech xps-2-0/RRA eotech co-witness rear site and magpul mags from midwestpx.

img00598201103181730.jpg

Only thing i want to change on the rifle is the hand guard, which will be swapped out for a DD lite rail, but that costs a 1/4 of what i paid for the rifle.

Your best option for what it seems you want would be to do an eotech or aimpoint with a magnifier. You get close range, and flip the magnifier down for 3x. I dont really think QCB is an option for AR's in NJ, my idea of this would be an barrel length of 14" or even 12", a 16" barrel AR even with a fully collapsed stock is still to big IMHO to be considered QCB. You wont be able to shoot past 300 yards in nj anyway and a 16" barrel will do that. It's all about the purpose of the rifle, and you should focus on one purpose. Loading the gun with accessories to make it multi-purpose will actually just turn it into a paperweight. A QCB rifle should be short and light with essential options like small scopes and small lights. A long range rifle will be very heavy, most of the weight from the barrel, figure in a bi-pod and diesel scope. Just munch on the primary purpose of the rifle.

FYI- a lot of the FFL's i went to in the area tried to charge me for new gun transfers for my RRA. I asked them if they were a distributor for RRA and they said no but could get them either way. This basically meant they could buy stock, but couldn't order directly from RRA, not only that but they wanted more then what RRA advertised, which meant they were clearly just middle men add tax and you might as well buy from out of state or find a real distributor from off there website, i went through http://www.ar15sales.com/rracomp.htm very nice gentlemen ordered it for me had it within the month, and charged me 50 bucks less then what RRA advertised. While the FFL i went through gave me heat over buying it from some one else, i kinda made it a point to make them realize the gun was custom made and not some over stocked rifle off a production line. Once he asked what was so special about it, he gave up once i said it was being converted to be AWB complaint, he wanted nothing to do with it! said as long as it comes NJ legal he would do the transfer at regular price or else it's getting sent back at my expense.

Cant go wrong with either choice. I have the SW ORC and am quite fond of it. You can get these closer to the $800 price, your quote is much too high. For optics, I have a 3-9X 40mm scope as I am mostly targeting at 100 yards. I also have an emergency backup iron sight system by JP-Enterprises, mounted on a DanielDefence 1-oclock rail, it's good enough for up to 15 yards. I don't have to remove my scope to use it, just roll the stock a bit. For mounting a light, a Magpul handgrip can add rails to.

Spikes Tactical Middy

I have one of these and i absolutely love it, and the customer service was TOP NOTCH. At the bottom of the page you can select to pin/weld brake, pin the stock and remove the bayo lug.

Man, spike's knows what they are doing. They have a menu list of options in order to make their rifles compliant in every state (even CA).

Well, I thank all of you guys for the good advice. What you said about using it for a specific purpose makes sense to me. I will set it up as you recommended. I ended up putting a deposit down tonight on the RRA model. I know the gun shop owner pretty well and trust him. He actually said the Smith was not as well suited as the RRA for the money. I am happy to be getting this rifle and hoipe to learn more about ti from the good folks here.

Well, I thank all of you guys for the good advice. What you said about using it for a specific purpose makes sense to me. I will set it up as you recommended. I ended up putting a deposit down tonight on the RRA model. I know the gun shop owner pretty well and trust him. He actually said the Smith was not as well suited as the RRA for the money. I am happy to be getting this rifle and hoipe to learn more about ti from the good folks here.

I like my S&W ORC but I already had an optic awaiting it. I had thoughts of building one, but I am a "I want it now" type of guy. It works well and I am happy. I don't see anyone regretting either that or the RRA. There are better prices for those models if you look around though.

I am sure I'll be happy with the purchase. I have very little experience with this rifle, but I am hoping to change that soon.

Can anyone recommend a good setup for a red dot and magnifier with a flip to the side mount? I am not certain yet, but I think I might go with that style for this gun.

I am sure I'll be happy with the purchase. I have very little experience with this rifle, but I am hoping to change that soon.

Can anyone recommend a good setup for a red dot and magnifier with a flip to the side mount? I am not certain yet, but I think I might go with that style for this gun.

Vortex red dot with optional FTS Magnifier

If you want to go the cheaper route (which many say is just as good as an aimpoint for 1/2 the money).

Vortex red dot with optional FTS Magnifier

If you want to go the cheaper route (which many say is just as good as an aimpoint for 1/2 the money).

Who says it's as good as the aimpoint? On what grounds? What's the battery life? How durable are they? Have they been used in rigorous conditions (SWAT, military, hard use in multi-day training courses)? How good is the glass? What's the warranty?

When it comes to optics, you get what you pay for.

Who says it's as good as the aimpoint? On what grounds? What's the battery life? How durable are they? Have they been used in rigorous conditions (SWAT, military, hard use in multi-day training courses)? How good is the glass? What's the warranty?

When it comes to optics, you get what you pay for.

For civilian use they seem to be comparable to am aimpoint. There is no proof of that since there is no long term military or swat use of this optic that I have seen yet. Check out some of Tue reviews on it and people who own aimpoint agree that it is very good especially for the money. If you want the real deal that is tried and true and have the extra money to spend than go with the aimpoint or eotech.

I usually go the buy once route. When all said and done an eotech or aimpoint will last a life time and will retain value. Both sell either holographic or red dot optics with the option for flip magnifiers. You can buy knock offs or cheaper alternatives but it comes down to the whole purpose thing. Do you want to pay for top quality? these optics will endure everything u can throw at them, aside from beating it with a mallet. If your not the type to think you would ever need such quality then look at cheaper alternatives.

I completely understand that you pay for quality. But, is that to say that this optic is simply no good? Seems that the reviewer thought it was very good for the money, which should be good for me...one thing though. Is the flip to side magnifier for the other optics specific for them, or can it be used with this one too?