intercooler

how is the lee pro 1000?

anyone have one? i am thinking of starting to do reloads. I would use it for 223 mainly or possibly 9mm/45acp

should i just spend the $ on a dillon? (alot more $) I see the lee is available for like $150 from cabelas with a set of dies

I don't know anything about the Lee Pro 1000 but I did buy a Lee Classic Turret press recently and so far I love it. Works great and for the money you can't beat it.

I use the Lee pro 1k in conjuction with the classic turret.

It is a fine press, but issues with the priming system on it. You will have plenty of stoppages. If you want something for 223, just get the classic turret.

I am currently resizing/priming on the classic turret, then do the rest on the Pro 1k. The issue on the 1k is that it only has 3 stations, so no crimping on pistol. If you split it like I do, you can.

On the 1k, the case feeder works but not optimal, constantly needs adjusting. I just took it off.

Lee Classic Turret is as fast once you factor in stoppages, and you have alot more control.

If it worked well Hornady and Dillon would both be out of business. One friend of mine bought one and ended up throwing it in the garbage after a period of frustration. Another friend of mine swore by his. The thing is the second guy is a skilled craftsman and could probably build one from ground up if he was so inclined.

My father used to say - "I am not wealthy enough to afford cheap things."

For pistol caliber only progressive press you can not beat Dillon Square Deal B. $380 gets you into reloading a caliber of your choice. Caliber changes are about $100 a pop.

For a lot more flexibility in types of cartridges you can load and eventually faster production, you can get a Hornady Lock-N-Load for the same $380 or so. But you have to add the cost of dies to that.

Neither of these would include the case feeder. But Lee case feeder can be barely called that. with the time that you spend loading cases into those tubes, you will save very little time as compared with feeding cases into the shell plate by hand. And once you include the primer system stoppages you will probably get better production out of either Dillon or Hornady without a case feeder than from Lee with a "case feeder".

For the Hornady you can add a real case feeder in the future for another $300. And you will have a nice quality setup.

Yes, either Dillon SDB or Hornady L-N-L cost more than twice what Lee costs. But IMHO if you are serious about reloading, you will not tolerate Lee for too long. So your option is to spend $160 now and $380 later or just spend $380 now.

End of the day a progressive reloader is about reducing the time and increasing the produciton. So you should get one that really does that. Otherwise get either a single stage or a turret.

anyone have one? i am thinking of starting to do reloads. I would use it for 223 mainly or possibly 9mm/45acp

should i just spend the $ on a dillon? (alot more $) I see the lee is available for like $150 from cabelas with a set of dies

If your starting out, Lee is good to learn on. And it can also be turned into a single stage.

I have the Classic Press, it works for me, but I have calibers with brass that is hard to comeby, so I take my time. You feel the pain with every crushed case it you're not careful.

:resent:

I got one a few months back and I love it. Here is my assessment on the Pro 1000

Yes it CAN be finicky. But if you do not mind working the kinks out and being more aware (as we all should while reloading). Here are the issues I have encountered

Primer feed: keep it clean (compressed air helps), around the last 15 or so primers there isnt enough force pushing on the primers to push the next primer into position for seating. I have just become aware and have some small tool like an allen wrench and manually push them when it comes down to the last few rounds. Yes it can get annoying but not a big deal.

Case feed: Make absolutely sure the z-bar is in the inner notch of the case feeder and not the outter one. Having it in the outter notch may cause feeding issues since the feeder may not clear the next case in order for it to drop. A drop of lube on the feeder rail doesnt hurt either. It can be a pain at first but you have to manually position the case feeder at first, but once you have it set up right you dont have to worry about it again.

Spent case disposal: This is my biggest gripe. They design the darn thing so the spend primers fall into the abyss that is between your press and the mounting surface, so after a while they will pile up. I have just fashioned a little cup out of paper and fit it into the little funnel area so I can just toss them out when it gets too full. If you are crafty I am sure you can figure something out to address this issue. Again not a big deal.

Powder feed system is pretty nice, and very consistent. Maybe not ultra match grade precise but it is definitely consistent enough my random screenings are never off by more than .1 grains.

Those are the only things I have noticed about my Pro 1000, YMMV. In summary, I am a tinkerer so any issues I had within reason I just looked into the issue and figured a way to work through it. Now if you want a 100% no issues press then this may not be for you, but for the money and a little TLC, this is a very good press. Then again, what is 100% these days? If you are not the tinkering type or less patient than others, well then you may be irritated. But for the money this is a very good press.

I do wish it came with 4 stations but as for the crimp, the Lee 3 set dies have a slight crimp for pistols and thats all I need. I would not bother with the factory crimp die unless I was loading match ammo. For plinking or shootin the ****, the crimp in the seatting die is good enough for me

Thats my story and I hope it helps you in making your decision.