I took my 9-year-old son to the range yesterday. It was his first indoor shooting experience and he did great. I had warned him about the noise and he got used to it quickly.

It was to be handguns only, but we also borrowed the Shore Shot rental Henry kids bolt action rifle to see how it fit him. They did not even charge us the rental fee. He did great with it and now I am thinking of his first rifle.

I like the idea of a bolt action rifle for his first gun. He tried my Marlin 60 a few months ago and he got a bit trigger happy with it. And it was waaaay too big for him.

I liked the Henry alot, I just think that he may outgrow it too fast. Also, he is left-handed.

I see that Savage makes a left-handed, bolt action youth rifle called the Mark II GLY. The specs say it is a bit heavier and longer. It holds 10 rounds in a detachable mag.

A longshot, I know, but does anyone have one of these? Thoughts? Opinions?

btw, he tried out handguns for the first time and loved 'em. The S&W 34-1 was just bought last week and did not function properly after a bit. I hope it was because it was dirty. The S&W 22a ran flawlessly and he was very good with it as well. He is not strong enough to work the slide yet. He is already asking to shoot the Beretta 92. Maybe in another few months.

Thanks.

I love hearing stories about people bringing their kids to the range and getting them interested in shooting. It's truly the best way to preserve and perpetuate one of the traditions that make this country great.

I don't know about the Savage, but I believe Crickett also makes a left handed youth 22. Their site is hard to navigate, and the information isn't easy to find, but I'm pretty sure I've seen southpaw guns available there.

Crickett Rifles

I do not have any experience with that rifle but have had a few savage 22's and they have all been good rifles. Looking at it for the price you can't go wrong. Especially being left handed. There is always the Henry youth lever action as well.

Last year I had my son shooting his single shot Savage 3B and let him try my Marlin 60. Before I knew it 5 shots let loose and he had the biggest grin on his face. All I heard was "That was fun". He has now been upgraded him to a semi.

I love seeing kids out on the range shooting.

Fantastic story, I also like to hear about kids getting into shooting the right way.

I'll tell you, I just picked up the Marlin 795, yes I know it's a semi, but while a bolt action is better to learn on for someone his age, you have to think in no time he will be ready for a semi. The best part they are a nice cheap rifle, Dicks Sporting Goods are offering 10 dollars off sales over a hundred dollars, and Marlin is running a mail in refund program for another 25 dollars. Basically you can get it for just under a hundred bucks, and I bet you will have fun shooting it also. All this works toward a good excuse also for another purchase if you need one.:yes:

It's also very light, one of the other factors I used when making the selection to get it, it's really for my 11 YO daughter ;) and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Harry

Update.

I show my son the online pics of the Savage Mark II GLY, expecting him to fall in love with it. I say, "Left handed bolt, 10 shots in a magazine, more gun to grow into, blahblahblah,"

He says he wants the Henry. And he does not want a lever gun. Single shot bolt action only.

So, Henry it is. Of course, I am sure he would not turn down the Savage if it showed up one day. I wish I could find one to fondle.

Thanks for the opinions.

Every child is different, but for all of mine they first shot a bolt action at camp, then I brought them to the local range with a ruger 10/22. After firing the semi-auto, none of them had any further interest in bolt action. Perhaps go to the range and rent a semi, just to make sure before plinking down cash for something where the attention span may not last that long.

Fastd,

The kid loved the Marlin 60 and I am sure he would love my 10/22. The problem is the length of pull. I guess I could chop down a cheapo 10/22 stock for him. Also, Kid B is a 4 year-old that I would like to start shooting earlier than Kid A did. I am guessing that that around 7 I will take him out for the first time. Even a chopped 10/22 might be too big. $200 for a kids rifle is not too much.

Maybe a trip to Cabellas is in order. I would assume they have a selection of kid rifles to try on for size.

Take a look at the Rossi Matched Pair Youth. Lots of bang for the buck. Single shot break open, comes with a 22lr and 410 or 20ga shotgun barrel and case as well. About $100 on sale at Dick's. I had one for a garden gun then gave it to my nephew.

I'm an old fart now, but my dad taught me to shoot with a single shot bolt action Targetmaster with iron sights. It taught me to slow down and take the time to aim. To think about what I'm doing for each shot, and to try to make each shot count since it was such a pain in the asss to get ready for the next one.

As cool as semis are, I think a manual action gun encourages better concentration and shooting discipline.

• Like 2