I saw nothing

*** CALL TO ACTION *** NJ101.5 ASK THE GOVERNOR SHOW!!!

Subject: *** CALL TO ACTION *** NJ101.5 ASK THE GOVERNOR SHOW!!! Time to pin Governor Christie down!

Hi fellow Patriots and members of the New Jersey Second Amendment Society,

Tonight NJ101.5 will run their monthly “Ask The Governor” show at 7PM EDT. This is your opportunity to ask the governor to come out and directly support the right of decent, responsible, law-abiding residents to KEEP AND BEAR ARMS, including the right to carry.

The answer that he is not about to beat his head against a brick wall with the current legislature does not hold water. He certainly has been beating his head against it for things he believes in. Does that mean that he does NOT believe in the human right to self-defense as protected under the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America and WITHELD by the Supreme Court in both the Heller and McDonald decisions?

We need to know the answer and the rest of the country needs to know the answer. Although we may not be able to force him to answer, we can certainly exert some pressure on him to do so.

I am asking everyone that can to call into (800) 283-1015 tonight and ask the Governor to support CCW in NJ.  You can also use the chat page to enter you questions, but you should only resort to this if you can’t get through. A live question is far superior to something read off a prompter.

Please help with this campaign if you can. The Governor needs to know that we are not going away.

Does that mean that he does NOT believe in the human right to self-defense as protected under the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America and WITHELD by the Supreme Court in both the Heller and McDonald decisions?

I think they mean UPHELD.

I submitted the following question:

Do you support Concealed and/or Open Carry in New Jersey? Mr. Governor, respectfully, when you said the following in response to a question from a Star Ledger reporter (Tom), I believed you: "When you ask me questions, I'm going to answer them directly, straightly, bluntly and nobody in New Jersey is going to have to wonder where I am on an issue. I think they've had enough of politicians who make them wonder. 'Cause you know most of the time why they make them wonder Tom. They make them wonder because they need an escape hatch - so they have an escape hatch. And, I'm not interested in an escape hatch. I came here to govern, not to escape. I came here to govern, not to worry about reelection. I came here to do what people sent me here to do."

Governor, one of the things we sent you there to do is to fix our gun laws. Please answer the question so that we don't have to wonder any longer. Thank you so much.

Governor Christie's comment can be seen here:

at 1:48

edit: Someone asked a very coherent and well thought out question. Unfortunately, the Gov. gave his standard answer.

• Like 1

I heard most of the replay at O'Dark thirty this morning. The one CCW question I heard (one of us?) was around the lack of 2A and CCW rights in NJ. Christie said it's all the fault of the Dems and he wouldn't be doing anything about it. What BS!

what was telling for me is he said nj is highly populated and unique when compared to other states that have carry laws and without a large consensus to change gun laws in nj it aint happening.....basically saying he's against anything we would like without coming right out and saying so... appointing Dow as AG was our first clue and after what he said last night cements in my mind that,someday nj will be the state i used to live in......christie and dow are 2 peas in a pod....

• Like 1

We had a short discussion about this in chat last night.

I can't for the life of me understand what relevance population density has on firearms rights. On the surface, it sounds like a reasonable argument, and the antis parrot it as a reason to keep NJ isolated and distinct from the rest of America, but if you just peel back the thin veneer of "reasonableness" of the argument, it makes no sense. How will population affect an individual's need to defend themselves from another individual? How is a one on one crime affected by the density of the population surrounding the incident? And, doesn't the fact that there's a greater density of people increase the likelihood that a greater number of them are predators? Not necessarily a higher percentage, just more of them due to the greater sample.

If you take the "population density" argument and flip it over, it ceases to be a reason to deny us our rights, and becomes a compelling argument for them.

People are just so ignorant.

• Like 2

The population density argument goes back as far as I can remember. My guess is either the Bradys or ceasefirenj. Either way, it's a hugely convenient and convincing argument when there's nobody to poke any holes in it.

• Like 1

The population density argument goes back as far as I can remember. My guess is either the Bradys or ceasefirenj. Either way, it's a hugely convenient and convincing argument when there's nobody to poke any holes in it.

Your guess would be wrong, because I heard it before those organizations existed.

Your guess would be wrong, because I heard it before those organizations existed.

I've been wrong before, and will likely be wrong again, but thanks for pointing that out for me.

I've been wrong before, and will likely be wrong again, but thanks for pointing that out for me.

I really didn't mean it that way. Just chiming in that I've been around for a long time, and this is a very old argument that people (not us) seem to just take as a given. When the argument was formed, whenever that was, the issue was CC of handguns and most states were not shall issue in that respect. So, way back then, it was probably easy to swallow the "we are not like those people" line. Problem is, that argument has become pervasive in the mindset of our culture. So, even though it's not true, and concealed carry almost everywhere can prove this, it's been indoctrinated into a couple generations at this point so it is a cultural truth.

This is one of the reasons I always say that arguing about whether or not things would be better or worse with more guns, and using statistics, is not very helpful. In places like NJ, people simply don't know that carry is normal and not some kind of experiment in an "urban" state. When they realize the entire country does it (with exceptions), that's when they open their eyes.

Below is an old post of mine with some editing regarding the topic of population density.

State "geography" is a worn out platitude used by the anti-gun crowd.

You can take the above quote and insert the cities of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Tampa and Atlanta, Georgia.

Below is a post from awhile back regarding my opinion on population density.

The South Florida metropolitan area is home to 5.4 million people and 11 million tourists a year with a area of 6,100 square miles.

Florida gun laws are the model for many states to follow.

The metropolitan area of Phoenix, Arizona contains 4.3 million people.

Arizona has few gun laws.

New Jersey has 8.7 million people that live in 8,700 square miles. Most of which live in the northeastern part of the state.

Below is an old post of mine with some editing regarding the topic of population density.

State "geography" is a worn out platitude used by the anti-gun crowd.

You can take the above quote and insert the cities of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Tampa and Atlanta, Georgia.

Below is a post from awhile back regarding my opinion on population density.

The South Florida metropolitan area is home to 5.4 million people and 11 million tourists a year with a area of 6,100 square miles.

Florida gun laws are the model for many states to follow.

The metropolitan area of Phoenix, Arizona contains 4.3 million people.

Arizona has few gun laws.

New Jersey has 8.7 million people that live in 8,700 square miles. Most of which live in the northeastern part of the state.

Each month on average, there are 13 guns purchased by Florida residents for every 1 gun purchased by a New Jersey resident.

Christie made the same population density argument to Sean Hannity in an interview when he was running for Governor. I was hoping it was an off the cuff dodge of a question he didn't want to answer, but now it is quite apparent that he isn't moving off this position. The argument is patently nonsensical and really detracts from Christie's credibility. This seals it for me. I like most of what Christie is doing but I simply will not vote for him again, either for Governor or national office.

• Like 1

Hopefully there will be a better choice in the primary. One can hope. :(

IMO the only way that will happen is if he runs for Pres in 2012, otherwise I believe he will seek re-election in 2013 which will give us no choice as I don't believe that anyone else will even have a chance against him in a primary.

Each month on average, there are 13 guns purchased by Florida residents for every 1 gun purchased by a New Jersey resident.

I know that they don't have the population density of any of the larger metropolitan areas in many states for the most part but you ever see the number of guns purchased in Kentucky, they lead the country in NICS checks.

Harry

The KY numbers are skewed because KY requires permit holders to clear NICS annually.

By "permit" Ken means CCW permit holders.

At least one state, Kentucky, appears to have recently started doing monthly NICS checks on its concealed carry permits in the summer of 2006. These monthly checks have dramatically inflated Kentucky’s NICS check numbers.
http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/trace/nics.shtml

There's a brief response on Conservative New Jersey. I don't know if Frank wrote it, but he did comment.

Conservative NJ

Well, whoever wrote it makes the vaild point that a rally is needed. The Governor mentioned that there is no "political groundswell" in NJ to change the gun laws. Unfortunately, he seems to be correct. Given how bad -- actually outrageous is a better word -- NJ gun laws are, a large, well attended rally is long overdue. The problem is, even with 1 million gun owners in this state give or take, it seems next to impossible to get any significant number to participate. The Brian Aitken rally might have been such an event, but the Governor cut that off by granting a pardon and (I am guessing) conditioning the pardon on Aitken's disavowal of the rally, which led to its cancellation. Given how outrageous the laws are and how many gun owners live in the state, don't you think we ought to be able to assemble 5000 people in Trento for a rally? What about 10000? Seems like a pipe dream.

I blame the ANJRPC for not doing more to organize such an event. They are the one, centralized voice of all gun owners in this state with serious resources. They have 20 or 30 member clubs, a website and a mailing list. If each ANJRPC member club committed to sending 10 people to a rally in Trenton, that alone would attract 300 people -- at least a start. ANJRPC's members include hunters, sport/target shooters and people just interested in self-defense. They should be leading the charge in organzing a rally with the participation of every member club.

I blame the ANJRPC for not doing more to organize such an event. They are the one, centralized voice of all gun owners in this state with serious resources. They have 20 or 30 member clubs, a website and a mailing list. If each ANJRPC member club committed to sending 10 people to a rally in Trenton, that alone would attract 300 people -- at least a start. ANJRPC's members include hunters, sport/target shooters and people just interested in self-defense. They should be leading the charge in organzing a rally with the participation of every member club.

Placing blame does not accomplish anything. I was a member of another organization (I won't mention which) and we tried several times to get gun owners mobilized. Our annual meeting consisted of 5 people (less than half dozen of the few hundred people that joined). Scheduling events usually resulted in excuse factories "I can't make it that day; it's too far; it's too early/late in the day; I don't know where that is; what's in it for me; etc. Sadly, I did not renew with that organization.

Point is, it just seems that gun owners overall don't care. I know a few gun owners who won't even inconvenience themselves to register to vote. I even brought them voter registration forms and offered to mail it myself (even provide postage). Yet they never hesitate to complain about the problems of our state's gun laws.

I was prepared to go to the rally for Aitken, until I found out it was cancelled. I was hoping to fill my car with other gun owners (as in, I drive, cover the gas myself, etc.). Still, I could not get even one seat in my car filled with another gun owner willing to take action.

So, blaming ANJRPC, or NRA for that matter, is neither going to fix the problem nor enable anyone else to do anything about it. All it does is further fragment our already weak political base.

Problem is. You vote either Christie or a corzine clone next time. Christie can be totally anti gun openly and I'd still have to vote for him

Vote for the Corzine clone, and send your reason why to all of the fuckers in the republican party of NJ. Probably would make the point a bit better if you took a photo of your vote inside the voting booth and included it. Then, put their names, districts, and negative positions on all recent carry/gun control bills on a flyer and post it at every range and every gun shop you go to. Take a photo of each one posted on the door/wall. Send them that as well.