penthall

Riverside Rod & Gun Club in Hillsborough

I am only going by a story my wife's boss told who used to shoot there. She said they were caught with illegal gun sale transactions, not sure what that really means to be honest,something about not keeping the proper paperwork in order or something like that. This is just a rumor, if you have more information, I would believe you before my wife's wacky boss. Yes, the one off Rt. 206, I think it was part of the Belle Mead section of the town.

Hillsborough gun club (I think that was it's actual name IIRC), did NOT close due to illegal activity. They closed because they turned a SMALL profit, then decided to expand the place ot more than double it's size, not stock much in the way of guns, and fill up the rest of it with about as much fishing gear as you see in a full sized cabelas. They borrowed money to do it, and they then proceeded to not sell all that much of it. Then they had an accident on the range where someone got injured and insurance went up. The landlord, who was using the rest of the building to warehouse and wholesale drawer pulls, raised the rent because drawer pulls were making more money per square foot than renting the place. I believe the landlord was a relative of one of the owners to boot.

Just a story of guys who made their hobby their business and then ran the business like it was a hobby instead of something that had to pay for itself. I have a hard time imagining illegal transfers going on as getting them to actually order and sell you something not on the shelf was damn near impossible (at least for me), and they didn't have much on the shelf most of the time.

I only know of one shop that was shut down for illegal transfers. It wasn't hillsborough.

The Hillsborough Shooting Center (that's what it was called) brings a lot of fond memories when I was a young lad. I grew up in Hillsborough so the place was just around the corner. I went there often when I turned 18 in the late 80's. Used to BS with the workers there and enjoyed my time there. "Lost interest" in guns in my mid 20's and when I got my interest back in my mid 30's, they were gone.

I recall driving there in 2002/2003 to see the old place again and it was gone for good. I was so sad.

I always wanted this HK SP89 that they had in a glass case for $1,200 but I was a poor college kid then. I regret not buying it everyday. Today, they are worth $4,000.

It was a great range, much better than Rays. They even allowed shotguns as long as you were firing slugs. I think it was around $8, and if they were not crowded you could stay for hours. They also rented handguns to try, had a good assortment.

Did ya ever check out the roof? The whole thing was colored silver from all the lead!

Iw

No address on sign , it is across the street from Roycebrook golf course. Hillsborough needs a range.

I live 2 minutes away...I've seen that sign for months and never heard anything from anyone here in town about it. I would love a public range here.

Iw

I live 2 minutes away...I've seen that sign for months and never heard anything from anyone here in town about it. I would love a public range here.

I have asked all around town too and nobody knows anything. I am still trying to find out if it is a range or a hunting area. Nothing on the net either.This town could use a range.

I have asked all around town too and nobody knows anything. I am still trying to find out if it is a range or a hunting area. Nothing on the net either.This town could use a range.

There's no way we'll get one. The township is so ridiculous with permits and fees for normal businesses I can't imagine what they would do for someone who deals with firearms.

Riverside Rod & Gun Club is a private sporting club with a semi-wild commercial preserve license.  It is based in Spotswood, NJ  and has meetings at the Polish American Club at 66 Adirondack Ave. in Spotswood.  Meetings are held the 2nd tuesday of the month at 8pm every month except July and August.

The club is composed of members that engage in all forms of outdoor sports, primarily hunting and fishing.  The club maintains over 400 acres between Amwell Road and Hamilton Road in Hillsborough, on which members stock game birds (usually pheasant) in season, hunt turkey and deer.  

At this time there are openings for new members.  Interested sportsmen or women should come to the meeting at 8pm on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

Riverside Rod & Gun Club is a private sporting club with a semi-wild commercial preserve license.  It is based in Spotswood, NJ  and has meetings at the Polish American Club at 66 Adirondack Ave. in Spotswood.  Meetings are held the 2nd tuesday of the month at 8pm every month except July and August.

The club is composed of members that engage in all forms of outdoor sports, primarily hunting and fishing.  The club maintains over 400 acres between Amwell Road and Hamilton Road in Hillsborough, on which members stock game birds (usually pheasant) in season, hunt turkey and deer.  

At this time there are openings for new members.  Interested sportsmen or women should come to the meeting at 8pm on the 2nd Tuesday of the month.

Thanks for posting this info.  Next meeting is May 10th then?