To make a long story short, I just got back from Hawaii this afternoon on some personnal business. While I was there, me and my brother-in-law went to a local gun shop (Security Equipment Corp. 1322 Young Street Hawaii 96814) to see what's legal and what's not. Also, my brother-in-law is looking for a home defense gun. Well, what I cound where ARs! Lot's and lots of ARs! Ruger, S&W, LWRC, BCM, Colt and more! And not just butchered ones like we have here. They had comps, collapsable stocks, folding stocks (SCAR or Sig), 30 round mags and a bayonet lug! I asked what was legal for civilians and he said everything you just pointed to. I was in shock. It seems that pistols have the 10 round restrictions and are a little harder to get. The process to buy a rifle takes 2 weeks, although you have to bring it the the PD for registration. So, I thought Hawaii was worse than Jersey but I guess I was wrong.

10 round restriction...harder to get...2 weeks to get...registration... geebus!

You've had the Realtor trick played on you. Allow me to explain. The other day I accused my girl of doing this to me with east coast ski hills by making me go to Mountain Creek a lot before taking me to Killington a great mountain, but it doesn't stack up to Colorado and the West coast mountains. The Realtor trick is when you are taken to a falling down places that is a complete shithole, then the next place is a place that is much better than that, but had you gone there first then you would have thought "this isn't that great at all what else you got?" NJ is the shithole in my analogy by the way.

• Like 3

The process to buy a rifle takes 2 weeks, although you have to bring it the the PD for registration. So, I thought Hawaii was worse than Jersey but I guess I was wrong.

So, if they are registering the long guns, that sounds more restrictive. Do you have to register long guns bought F2F? If so, much much worse than NJ.

I'll look more into it on my next trip. You need an NRA course (or DD214 for ex military) to purchase a firearm.

No, it's not exactly pro gun but it's not as bad as I thought it was. I thought it was a mirror image of California. But it's not.

I'll look more into it on my next trip. You need an NRA course (or DD214 for ex military) to purchase a firearm.

No, it's not exactly pro gun but it's not as bad as I thought it was. I thought it was a mirror image of California. But it's not.

California is better than both NJ and Hawaii by far for gun laws. Gun laws in CA are probably among the most complicated, there's probably more banned semi-auto rifles, there's 10 round mags (or not, could have 30 or BETA C-mags) and even that’s complicated (NJ is 15 rounds period), but people have guns. And transport laws are far less restrictive. And you can get a carry permit in probably 75% of the counties, and at least have a chance in the rest. If I had to be sentenced to one of the three states, it would be Cali hands-down.

Let's face it, in NJ you are never allowed to have a gun. From a practical standpoint. Yes, you can drive around with an unloaded rifle or shotgun in your trunk with FID. But, if you need a gun, you won't have it. Unless you need one inside your home. Which is actually kind of confusing, since most of you don't think you need to carry inside your home.

So, from this perspective, maybe there is an extra restriction for your AR-15s in CA. Maybe yours even needs that rediculous "bullet button" to drop a mag - but not all of them do. If you consider your firearms as simply toys, CA is a real deal-killer. If you actually think you might need them, CA is far better.

• Like 2

California is better than both NJ and Hawaii by far for gun laws. Gun laws in CA are probably among the most complicated, there's probably more banned semi-auto rifles, there's 10 round mags (or not, could have 30 or BETA C-mags) and even that’s complicated (NJ is 15 rounds period), but people have guns. And transport laws are far less restrictive. And you can get a carry permit in probably 75% of the counties, and at least have a chance in the rest. If I had to be sentenced to one of the three states, it would be Cali hands-down.

Let's face it, in NJ you are never allowed to have a gun. From a practical standpoint. Yes, you can drive around with an unloaded rifle or shotgun in your trunk with FID. But, if you need a gun, you won't have it. Unless you need one inside your home. Which is actually kind of confusing, since most of you don't think you need to carry inside your home.

So, from this perspective, maybe there is an extra restriction for your AR-15s in CA. Maybe yours even needs that rediculous "bullet button" to drop a mag - but not all of them do. If you consider your firearms as simply toys, CA is a real deal-killer. If you actually think you might need them, CA is far better.

I think you're underestimating CA gun laws. If I recall correctly, CA only allows about 250 or so handguns made after somewhere around 1980 (I can't remember the exact date) the rest are banned. They also have useless melt standards for handguns to determine "gun quality". There are A LOT more semi auto rifles that are banned, no 50 BMG cal guns allowed. Private sales of firearms are not allowed, all transactions must go through FFL's. Many counties prohibit mail order ammo sales and a statewide ban has been put on hold by a judge.

You are correct about possession laws being better, but I don't think it's more than a small handful of rural counties that issue carry permits.

As a collector there are a lot of guns I own in NJ that are not legal there. Both states suck bad, but CA is not better as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

I think you're underestimating CA gun laws. If I recall correctly, CA only allows about 250 or so handguns made after somewhere around 1980 (I can't remember the exact date) the rest are banned. They also have useless melt standards for handguns to determine "gun quality". There are A LOT more semi auto rifles that are banned, no 50 BMG cal guns allowed. Private sales of firearms are not allowed, all transactions must go through FFL's. Many counties prohibit mail order ammo sales and a statewide ban has been put on hold by a judge.

You are correct about possession laws being better, but I don't think it's more than a small handful of rural counties that issue carry permits.

As a collector there are a lot of guns I own in NJ that are not legal there. Both states suck bad, but CA is not better as far as I'm concerned.

Having spent a lot of time out there in recent years, with a handgun, I'll take it. Even by your proposed interpretation of their regulations.

What ever suits you, I just know if I'm going to uproot myself I won't be going there. :notme:

Yeah, that would definitely NOT be worthwhile :) Like I said, if I was sentenced to one of the three. I wouldn't leave NJ to move to CA, that's getting a little rediculous :)

Ed, the restrictions in Hawaii are for handguns only. It takes about 2 weeks from start to finish to take home a pistol. Rifles and shotguns are a different story. No restrictions at all. Aks? sure! SCAR? Why not!

I'm just trying to be positive about the move.

As far as Cali goes, I have family in Long Beach and San Diego. I'll pass on that place.

You guys seriously think NJ is better then CA for gun laws?

Here's a question for you.

Say you live in NJ and never owned a gun before, and decide to buy one (legally). What do you do? Go to police station, get harassed and treated like garbage, fill out forms and maybe some extra, illegal ones too, turn in references, get fingerprinted, pay a ton of fees unprecedented virtually anywhere else, have your employer contacted, wait months, then go to gun shop and pick out gun.

If you live in CA, go to gun shop, pick out gun. Waiting period, go home with gun.

• Like 2

at least we can still have nearly any gun we want. ca. has a list 4 miles long of 'banned' firearms. we can still have a nice AR here. would you want to go to ca. and put one of those grotesque grips on it, or screw around with a bullet button. ALL AKs, including saiga, are banned by name. even a bushmaster XM15. anything made in china is also banned (if only that existed for non-firearms nationwide). even some plain jane, regular pistols are banned, solely by name. its the lesser of 2 evils, but NJ is still BETTER then calif. for gun laws.

want an AR here? go to the store and buy one. want one in calif? you cant. period. unless you hack the living hell out of it and make it into a grotesque abomination of what an AR is.

look at this garbage

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf

at least we can still have nearly any gun we want. ca. has a list 4 miles long of 'banned' firearms. we can still have a nice AR here. would you want to go to ca. and put one of those grotesque grips on it, or screw around with a bullet button. ALL AKs, including saiga, are banned by name. even a bushmaster XM15. anything made in china is also banned (if only that existed for non-firearms nationwide). even some plain jane, regular pistols are banned, solely by name. its the lesser of 2 evils, but NJ is still BETTER then calif. for gun laws.

want an AR here? go to the store and buy one. want one in calif? you cant. period. unless you hack the living hell out of it and make it into a grotesque abomination of what an AR is.

look at this garbage

They both suck equally. However, at least there's a specific list. No "is this legal if it has a and b but not c" or "xxxx type" BS that can get you in trouble and land yourself in jail.

look at this garbage

+1, the point I was trying make.

As a collector, NJ is the lesser of the two evils, if your just going to buy a common pistol or two, the process is easier in CA.

look at this garbage

Compare your laws to France. Geeze, this is like the battle of the states that have given up all their rights. And, there's only a handful of those.