jcerillo70

I want to get an FFL license ( for transfers in Freehold/Howell)

So a while ago i received the packet from the ATF, but never followed through with it because of the question on the firearms app that says "Have you ever been turned down for an FFl "

But now its time to start a new business adventure.

I have a tax i.d (LLC) under Cerillo Enterprise's

Business would be ran out of my garage, Where i would build a nice big wooden gun locker

I threw out the FFL app so ill have to have them send me a new one.

Most importantly its the atf interview that haults me the most. Does he come to your house/business? or do you have to go to them?

What else should i expect for this process

Thanks guys, This is my last question for a while.

-Joe Cerillo

Most importantly its the atf interview that haults me the most. Does he come to your house/business? or do you have to go to them?

This is a valid question.

"Most importantly," stop being a coward and act like a man. Or don't even think about starting a business. Let alone a firearms business. Let alone a firearms business in NJ. Let alone a firearms business in NJ dealing Title II firearms when there are no legal customers.

Back to the valid question. Don't know the answer, sorry.

• Like 1

Along with your FFL, you will need a NJ business license.

It's my understanding that the BATFE discourages people working out of their homes. They want dedicated bricks & mortar. I've dealt with plenty of FFL's dealing out of their garage, basement etc, but I have no idea how long they have been in business.

As was pointed out, you will also have to comply with your local zoning laws.

There are all kinds of hoops the state will make you jump through and if you are worried about the BATFE coming to your home for an initial interview, know that by getting your FFL they can audit your bound book and inventory any time they want. Ditto for the NJSP.

This is no longer a business you get into on a whim so you can buy firearms cheaper and give your buddies deals, this is a serious business with more government oversight than just about any other business out there.

I applaud the FFL's on this board, they put up with a ton of regulations and red tape, just so we can exercise our rights (and to make some money if they're lucky).

Think long & hard before you bite off more than you can chew.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

It's my understanding that the BATFE discourages people working out of their homes. They want dedicated bricks & mortar. I've dealt with plenty of FFL's dealing out of their garage, basement etc, but I have no idea how long they have been in business.

There are all kinds of hoops the state will make you jump through and if you are worried about the BATFE coming to your home for an initial interview, know that by getting your FFL they can audit your bound book and inventory any time they want. Ditto for the NJSP.

This is no longer a business you get into on a whim so you can buy firearms cheaper and give your buddies deals, this is a serious business with more government oversight than just about any other business out there.

I applaud the FFL's on this board, they put up with a ton of regulations and red tape, just so we can exercise our rights (and to make some money if they're lucky).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks brother, Your like Ray Ray...Always right lol

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The BATFE has no position on home-based vs. storefront. As long as you are not a prohibited person working within local laws and in it for a profit, they will issue you a license. As for audits, yes, they may audit whenever they want HOWEVER, only within the business hours you list on the application. Unannounced audits of home based FFLs seem pretty rare based on what I've seen/heard.

• Like 2

You will need zoning approval to run a retail store from your town to get the NJ license. The NJSP will require you to have a separate entrance to the "store" from your residence entrance and will inspect the facility and your anti theft measures, you will need their approval. In addition to a fed tax ID, you will need to register your business with the state, collect and pay sales tax each month and file all the other BS forms any other business does.

Your biggest hurdle will probably be the zoning issue unless your house is in a retail business zone already.

... The NJSP will require you to have a separate entrance to the "store" from your residence entrance ...

Interesting.

The guy who runs Constitution Arms in Maplewood runs it out of his house and does not have a separate entrance to my knowledge. I did a transfer via him and walked in right the front door, past his kids watching TV in the living room and then down into the basement where he actually does his FFL business.

Dealing with the State of NJ would most likely be the hardest part of going into a gun business. There is a bunch of regulations the state has which exceed what ATFE wants. SARCO for example is moving to PA because most of their problems were from the state.

You really have to enter into this as looking it as a money making business and not just for fun and perhaps make a few bucks.

There are many FFL's run out of their house Vinny (Hunting World and Arms), Ron (Legacy Firearms), Ocean Tactical just to name a few. But I think they can inspect your whole house not just the FFL part. And NJ will require adequate security so you may have to make renovations and a security system.

There are many FFL's run out of their house Vinny (Hunting World and Arms), Ron (Legacy Firearms), Ocean Tactical just to name a few. But I think they can inspect your whole house not just the FFL part. And NJ will require adequate security so you may have to make renovations and a security system.

BATFE can only inspect your business area. They need a warrant for the rest of the house. Don't know about NJSP though.

So a while ago i received the packet from the ATF, but never followed through with it because of the question on the firearms app that says "Have you ever been turned down for an FFl "

But now its time to start a new business adventure.

I have a tax i.d (LLC) under Cerillo Enterprise's

Business would be ran out of my garage, Where i would build a nice big wooden gun locker

I threw out the FFL app so ill have to have them send me a new one.

What else should i expect for this process

Thanks guys, This is my last question for a while.

-Joe Cerillo

For the New Jersey State Retail Dealer License read this starting with: "N.J.A.C. 13:54-3.1 Licensing of retail dealers; general" so you know what you are getting into.

062408_title13ch54.pdf

1. TOWNSHIP ZONING PERMIT

2. STATE FIREARMS LICENSE

3. FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE

4. NJ SALES TAX CERTIFICATE

5. BUSINESS CHECKING ACCT

6. ALARM SYSTEM

7. BUSINESS INSURANCE

8. SAFE(S), NOT WOODEN CRATES

9. CALL ME AFTER THAT, I CAN FILL YOU IN ON REST

• Like 1

0.1 Business Name Registration

0.2 Federal EIN Number

0.3 Business bank account

0.4 NJ Sales and Use Tax license

1. TOWNSHIP ZONING PERMIT

1.1 NJ EIN Number (they will make it the same as Federal since you have Federal)

2. STATE FIREARMS LICENSE

3. FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSE

4. NJ SALES TAX CERTIFICATE

5. BUSINESS CHECKING ACCT

6. ALARM SYSTEM

7. BUSINESS INSURANCE

8. SAFE(S), NOT WOODEN CRATES

9. CALL ME AFTER THAT, I CAN FILL YOU IN ON REST

Call ^him^ after that, I don't run an NJ firearms dealership.

Bold and strikethrough are edits by me for some of the additional details.