Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Pistol grip or not? Opinions requested.

I was thinking about purchasing a shotgun primarily for HD and the range (unlikely for hunting or clays) and was just curious about pistol grip vs. standard configuration. Obviously I will want to see which one seems more comfortable, but was curious if there are any advantages/disadvantages to either configuration, especially given my intended use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If it helps, I was thinking of Benelli SuperNova Tactical, which can come either way. Though I've heard good things about the Mossberg 590 A1 as well...

It's all up to you and how you want it to feel.

Speedfeed makes a great pisol grip stock that you should look at if you want to go that route. I personnaly have standard stocks on my 870 and 590A1.

I prefer a regular stock, although I haven't really tried a pistol grip stock enough to state my input on it.

I'm not a fan of PG-only shotguns. I think they are difficult to shoot accurately and take a lot of training to use effectively. I must admit that they are pretty fun to just blast away a couple full mag tubes though.

• Like 1

I prefer any and all pump guns. Pistol grip stock, standard, or pistol grip only.

All have their advantages and disadvantages.

In regards to pistol grip only shotties, it's not a range gun at all. Shoot it some, get the feel for it and put her in the closet or under the bed and call it a day.

i would say that the only real advantage/disadvantage comparing pistol grip to stock pumps is that yes accuracy is sacrificed. but the real difference is maneuverability. i find it easier to maneuver my pg only pump around than if i had a full stock. at the same time, i doubt in a home defense situation you are going to be "aiming" a shotgun. the main selling point of a shotgun for HD is it does not really need to be aimed like a rifle, but more pointed in the direction of the criminal. shotguns spread.

i would say that the only real advantage/disadvantage comparing pistol grip to stock pumps is that yes accuracy is sacrificed. but the real difference is maneuverability. i find it easier to maneuver my pg only pump around than if i had a full stock. at the same time, i doubt in a home defense situation you are going to be "aiming" a shotgun. the main selling point of a shotgun for HD is it does not really need to be aimed like a rifle, but more pointed in the direction of the criminal. shotguns spread.

I love that line. At an average HD encounter range say 15 feet the spread will be what, 4 inches?

• Like 1

1" per yard is general rule of thumb for 00 buck in open bore, so you are looking at 3" lol

PRACTICALLY DONT EVEN HAFTA AIM THE SUMBTCH JUST LOOK AT IT REAL HARD AN THE INTRUDER'LL SEE THAT MEAN STARE IN THE REFLECTION OF YOUR CHROME POLISHED TACTICAL HD DOOR BREACHING ENTRY MARITIME FLOATION GUN AND SCRAM OUT THAT DOOR FASTERANNA SPEEDIN FRANGIBLE MILITARY GRADE BREECHING ROUND HOOOOOOEEEEEEE!!!!!

• Like 4

I was thinking about purchasing a shotgun primarily for HD and the range (unlikely for hunting or clays) and was just curious about pistol grip vs. standard configuration. Obviously I will want to see which one seems more comfortable, but was curious if there are any advantages/disadvantages to either configuration, especially given my intended use. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If it helps, I was thinking of Benelli SuperNova Tactical, which can come either way. Though I've heard good things about the Mossberg 590 A1 as well...

All I can say is find the shot you intend to use and find a friend who has a pistol grip on their shotgun.

If you shoot half a dozen rounds and still want a pistol grip, get one. Personally, I hate them. It throws your aim way off and if you're holding it wrong, you could injure your wrists, fingers or whatever. Not a big fan. That said, if I lived in a tiny apt, I'd probably get one just for the sheer ability to swing it around.

• Like 1

All I can say is find the shot you intend to use and find a friend who has a pistol grip on their shotgun.

If you shoot half a dozen rounds and still want a pistol grip, get one. Personally, I hate them. It throws your aim way off and if you're holding it wrong, you could injure your wrists, fingers or whatever. Not a big fan. That said, if I lived in a tiny apt, I'd probably get one just for the sheer ability to swing it around.

I've switched my primary HD shotgun from a full-stocked 870 express to a Mossy 500 pistol grip. Unless I'm going outside and running down the street then aiming isn't an issue. If I DO have to go outside and run around, then the 590A1 would be in my hands.

• Like 1

I've switched my primary HD shotgun from a full-stocked 870 express to a Mossy 500 pistol grip. Unless I'm going outside and running down the street then aiming isn't an issue. If I DO have to go outside and run around, then the 590A1 would be in my hands.

I just put my pistol grip only back on mine as well.. small light easy to store.. and easy enough to manage as far as I am concerned..

• Like 1

Pistol grip and CA style external mag lock ok on shotgun in NJ?

Thumbstock and external mag on shotgun ok in NJ?

On a pump shotgun, pretty much anything goes.

bump

On semi auto Saiga shotgun:

Pistol grip and CA style external mag lock ok on shotgun in NJ?

Thumbstock and external mag on shotgun ok in NJ?

RIF

PRACTICALLY DONT EVEN HAFTA AIM THE SUMBTCH JUST LOOK AT IT REAL HARD AN THE INTRUDER'LL SEE THAT MEAN STARE IN THE REFLECTION OF YOUR CHROME POLISHED TACTICAL HD DOOR BREACHING ENTRY MARITIME FLOATION GUN AND SCRAM OUT THAT DOOR FASTERANNA SPEEDIN FRANGIBLE MILITARY GRADE BREECHING ROUND HOOOOOOEEEEEEE!!!!!

Holy ****, you need to post a warning before you type something like this, I damn near spit Coke all over the computer.

Well played, sir :lol:

Also, a little word on pistol grip only shotguns:

The typical pistol grip ones are indeed painful to shoot, but the Birdshead-type pistol grips are much more comfortable to shoot as they present a better grip angle. They also point more naturally and don't punish the wrist nearly as much.

These grips are available for the 870 but no one makes one for the Mossberg 500 anymore. I modified one from an 870 - a little dremel work to the mounting face of the grip, and then a couple layers of electrician's friction tape from Home Depot and the grip is actually pretty comfortable.

It points well and does great at HD distances. I hear a lot of people say that PGO shotguns aren't accurate - that's right, they are not. But that does not matter, since this gun is intended for use at 10-15 feet anyway.

I still am torn though, whether to use this grip or the Knoxx NRS stock, so I go back and forth between the two.

post-3553-0-11906600-1318972781_thumb.jpg

I bought a Mossberg from one of our members here quite some time ago. I finally had a chance to take it to the range to try it out. It has a pistol grip and a "normal" buttstock also. I set up a bunch of clays on the berm and stood about 15 feet back. I shot it from the shoulder first with #8 target loads, no problem hitting the clays. Held it at my hip with the pistol grip, aim wasn't good, but could eventually hit the clays. Moved-on to #00 buckshot. From the shoulder I could easily destroy the clays. From the hip, aim stunk.

Now, from 15 feet neither load spread-out very much. I had the clays placed about a foot apart left to right and top to bottom. I could not hit more than one clay at a time with either load. So, as far as people saying the shot spreads-out a lot, no way!

I have used a shotgun in knockdown steel and from 10 feet away I could shoot between two plates and knock them down at the same time, but they are only about 6" from each other.

The pistol grip was just fine, but for small people or people that don't have strong wrists, they are NOT going to like it. I loved it myself! :icon_mrgreen:

AFAIK, NJSP has stated that thumbhole stocks are considered a pistol grip. I have no documentation of this, that is what they told me about 18 months ago.

NJ defines the word pistol grip...

"pistol grip" means a well defined

handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which

permits the shotgun to be held and fired with one hand;

is the grip shaped in a similar way to a grip on a handgun?

is it located beneath the action?

can you hold it by that grip and shoot it with one hand? notice it does not say comfortably.. it just cays permits it to be fired with one hand..

IF the grip fits that.. then it is a pistol grip.. there is NO clarification as to it being attached to the stock.. or part of the stock.. or NOT part of the stock.. thumbhole stock is not defined.. but pistol grip is.. so IMO you must look towards that definition and work from there..