HuntingPaper

Holland Tunnel closed for shooting...

PAPD routinely check vehicles going into the tunnel to thwart a terrorist act there since 9/11. I do not know exactly the criteria they use to stop cars to check. This guy may have been wanted, may be in a stolen car, or any number of guesses, blew the checkpoint and wound up getting shot for whatever he was doing. PAPD have guns, the toll collectors don't at PA facilities. Triborough Bridge Authority toll collectors have police powers, guns, and police retirement.

http://gothamist.com/2011/04/30/shootout_slows_holland_tunnels_rush.php

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/holland_tunnel_cop_shoots_fleeing_84GbFz8LxODAiiFx8CIXiJ?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

A Port Authority cop opened fire on a rogue driver who attempted to mow him down outside the Holland Tunnel yesterday during the evening rush hour, police said.

Traffic into Manhattan was snarled for hours after the harrowing incident that left two suspects wounded and the cop shaken and bruised, sources said.

At around 6 p.m., the officer, who was not identified, approached a White Jeep Cherokee on foot after it made an illegal lane change just past the toll booth in New Jersey en route into Manhattan, sources said.

The driver initially slowed down but then tried to speed away as the officer grabbed on and was dragged, sources said.

The driver "tried to use the car as a weapon," one source said.

At one point the cop got pinned against a wall, but he pulled his pistol and fired five times into the vehicle, hitting one occupant in the shoulder and the other in the stomach, sources said.

The suspects finally eluded the officer and continued toward Manhattan, smashing into several cars along the way. At some point they ditched their vehicle and tried to flee on foot, but were caught by cops on the New York side.

The suspects were in custody at Bellevue Hospital in stable condition. A second officer was treated for minor injuries.

Sources said the vehicle wasn't registered and the legal owner of the car has an open warrant for petit larceny in Orleans, NY.

They do at other toll facilities? I was not aware of this.

I should have said it more clearly. Triborough Bridge Authority is the only toll collectors that have guns I know of. PA, NJTP, GSP, and DE and PA bridges don't.

I remember hearing somewhere that 70% of the tolls collected in the US are collected in NJ.

If I was a cop I wouldn't grab onto a suspects vehicle and allow myself to be dragged. You'd wear down the tips of your shoes. I'd shoot at his gas tank and cause a big explosion like you see in the movies. :sarcastichand:

• Like 1

I REFUSE to take any news outlet seriously that starts the story with "attempted to mow him down."

I should have said it more clearly. Triborough Bridge Authority is the only toll collectors that have guns I know of. PA, NJTP, GSP, and DE and PA bridges don't.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, or say that your post wasn't clear. I was not aware that ANY toll collectors had guns. Learn something new everyday.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, or say that your post wasn't clear. I was not aware that ANY toll collectors had guns

I didn't take it as a smartass comment just as a question. No offense taken. I think TBA toll collectors somehow conned there way into having "peace officer status" which gave police powers, guns, and police retirement. Oh what a union can do! I don't know about now but at one time they were not allowed to carry their guns when they were in the toll booth but could carry outside the toll booth and off duty like cops.

wonder how this started.... the toll collector drew on the guy? =

Couple of years back I got stuck in a brouhaha at the Toll Plaza at exit 11 because some dipsgit who list his ticket didnt like having to pay the highest toll, and threatened to beat the crap out of the Toll taker. While there are some Toll Takers out there who are, shall we say, "Less than pleasant" there are a LOT of A-hole drivers as well.

I remember hearing somewhere that 70% of the tolls collected in the US are collected in NJ.

Triborough B&T Toll takers are also Police Officers, they rotate duty between toll and Patrol. As for your Last... I Believe MOST of that is actually collected by the PANY/NJ, not the state of NJ. Rememeber, the Tolls for the Lincoln, Holland and GWB are all on THIS side of the Hudson.

If I was a cop I wouldn't grab onto a suspects vehicle and allow myself to be dragged. You'd wear down the tips of your shoes. I'd shoot at his gas tank and cause a big explosion like you see in the movies. :sarcastichand:

Your funny