7-3-2

So your only allowed to have 1 handgun for the rest of your life

Revolver or Semi?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which one ... if only one?

• Revolver
    • Semi

See the only problem with a 1911 is the fact that ill just never be able to afford going to the range just because of ammo prices lol. I was leaning towards 9mm but I guess #%& mag isnt a bad round cause I could always target shoot with 38special.

You never stated what your primary use of this "one" gun would be - I think that plays the biggest factor in determining what to get.

CCW/HD/Duty weapon? Compact sized semi-auto for sure. G19, M&P 9, HK P30, CZ-P0{1,7} would all do you nice here.

Strictly range use / bullzeye shooting? Nice heavy S&W N-Frame revolver with a 6" barrel in .357 mag. You can get nice light .38 loads for target practice and the cost would be a little cheaper than blasting .45. I've yet to shoot a more accurate gun at the range than a nicely broken in S&W revolver shooting target loaded .38s.

Competition? Get a slick tricked out semi-auto. Some good choices would be CZ Shadow, EAA Witness Limited, STI, Glock G34, M&P 9 Pro 5"

All-around HD/Range gun, and you're not planning to carry? Full sized semi-auto (CZ 75B, Beretta 92FS, 1911, Sig 226, HK P30L) You'll want something on the heavier side with a nice long barrel to take advantage of the increased sight radius. Trigger feel is super important too as a crappy trigger is a big difference between a frustrating day at the range vs a fun day.

So my advice, pick your use case, and then go try a bunch out!

If I could only have one handgun ever, it definitely would not be a 1911, and a 1911 was my first handgun purchase and 1 of only 3 handguns I own!

Designed as a single stack, and most 1911's still are. This reduces practical sized magazines of a higher capacity. Reliability is great in most 1911's, if you shoot ball ammo. Move to the standard in self defense in using JHP, or some flavor hollow point, and some 1911's suffer. I love the look of 1911's. I like shooting 1911's. But they aren't the ultimate handgun!

They make lighter, higher capacity, accurate and customizable handguns now that will match or exceed a 1911 in every category, except maybe looks. But looks have no effect on handgun performance and functionality...

I voted semi. If I absolutely had to have one handgun for the rest of my life.....although the 1911 would be tempting, I would probably have to lean towards the Beretta 92 platform simply because of capacity and ammo price.

Only one? Ever?- I'd get a .45 with the biggest mag cap I could afford. But your FPID issue,if you get it I cant think of why you wouldn't be able to get all the PP's you want.Thats what it is, permission to buy guns.

I think the FNP 45 takes that role. 15rds of .45!

Ok so just because of the amounts of replies for 1911's I have decided to start looking into some within my price range (Taurus, Ruger SR1911, and S&W E). So just for educational reasons I added the 1911 platform to the poll. Oh and BTW the uses for the gun would be a gun that would be able to do EVERYTHING!! Its my only gun lol ... MAN I hope I get my PP ... if not I might cry. But in all seriousness, I appreciate the replies guys.

I voted semi. Apart from that, choosing is tough. Ideally, some flavor of .45 would be the ONE. But, .45 is expensive. I'd probably go 9mm in any of the following flavors...in order

HK P30

USP9C

M&P9

G17,G19

If I could afford .45, then any of the following would work... in order

HK45

USP45/C

M&P45

G21SF

I can not afford fancy guns so for me it would be my Glock... probably the 23 if I could only have one... the gun is decently accurate... light enough to carry.. and has proved to be incredibly reliable.. and reliability is at the top of my list for guns... accuracy and all that is important.. but not as important as reliability (if the gun malfunctions.. doesn't matter how straight it shoots).. so based on all that it would be a simple Glock..