7-3-2

So your only allowed to have 1 handgun for the rest of your life

Revolver or Semi?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which one ... if only one?

• Revolver
    • Semi

So given my troubles lately with attempting to obtain a PP Im not sure Im im going to get one but IF they were to issue it, it could very easily be the last one I ever get my hands on (atleast until I move). SOOOO that brings me to wonder ... would it be smart to purchase a revolver over a semi for reliability/durability? Or is it quite the opposite? Please if you choose revolver give me some suggestions about which revolvers you have in mind as I've only shot semis in the past and never paid revolvers much mind at all.

I'm not sure why you think your only allowed to get one pistol permit, as if you can get one you can get many.

But I'll bite on your question. Glock 19

My reasoning behind this is because I was denied, but have been in contact with the detective in charge about the situation about what I need to do in order to get AT LEAST a reissued FPID. He called me last week and said to expect a call in about a week or two to come pick my stuff up. I was unfortunately dealing with my kids at the time and didnt have the common sense to ask him to elaborate. Sooo if I ended up getting a PP I'm not sure I'd feel like jumping through hoops for another one in the future lol.

Only one? Ever?- I'd get a .45 with the biggest mag cap I could afford. But your FPID issue,if you get it I cant think of why you wouldn't be able to get all the PP's you want.Thats what it is, permission to buy guns.

S&W 686. It will never break or wear out in your lifetime unless you shoot ALOT. You can put light .38 loads in it and its super super accurate for training, great for ladies too. Then you can stoke it with .357 magnum for defense or blowing sh!t up. It really is the ultimate do-everything gun. If you get an auto like a glock 19, it does not fit the target pistol job very well (but is the ultimate for defense/carry)

S&W 686. It will never break or wear out in your lifetime unless you shoot ALOT. You can put light .38 loads in it and its super super accurate for training, great for ladies too. Then you can stoke it with .357 magnum for defense or blowing sh!t up. It really is the ultimate do-everything gun. If you get an auto like a glock 19, it does not fit the target pistol job very well (but is the ultimate for defense/carry)

Have you ever detail stripped a 686? I have. It has an awful lot of small moving parts and springs. BnTW, the reason I was detail stripping it was because one of those little springs broke and needed to be replaced. Everything breaks. Everything.

A 4" GP100. You can do just about anything with a 4" 357 and have a wide variety of power loadings available you can't get with any semi auto. You also don't have to worry about losing magazines.

Everything breaks. Everything.

Yes but some things break less often. I have a 35 year old Speed Six that has a gazillion rounds through it that hasn't broken yet. I would expect a GP100 to give me at least the same service.

There is no need to deatil strip anything unless its broken.

• Like 1

Have you ever detail stripped a 686? I have. It has an awful lot of small moving parts and springs. BnTW, the reason I was detail stripping it was because one of those little springs broke and needed to be replaced. Everything breaks. Everything.

Yes, of course everything breaks but some things are much less likely to break. I agree, if you have to take the lockwork out of a revolver it isnt terribly easy but how often do thing break in there? Either way, I suppose neither of this matters because you dont need additional permits to fix a gun and that is his reason for only one, not end of the world/SHTF. In this case, the versatility of a 686 (or any other .357 revolver) cannot be beat

I find the 1911 platform the easiest to maintain. If you go with one of the "simpler" models, series 70 based, no internal locks, standard sloted grip screws, etc, you can almost take all of it apart with the bits on the gun itself and a .45 case. I think the only thing that might require a tool is the mainspring housing pin, but only if it is really tight, you should be able to push it out with the hammer strut. The only parts that SHOULD require a tool are the hammer strut pin and the barrel link pin and those things really shouldn't come apart.

If I had to only have one gun forever and ever and I had to consider repairing it, I think I'd look at a 1911.

Easier than a Glock? (I ask that having ZERO 1911 experience, so don't take it as glock fanboy-ism)

I think so. As I said you can do a detailed strip without tools, I'm not sure thats possible with a Glock, but then again, I don't own a Glock :), When I say detailed strip I mean take out every single part can its not glued, stalked, or welded on.