98 members have voted

1. 1. What state to emulate?

• Alaska- No permit required, open or concealed is legal
    • Pennsylvania-Permit required for concealed or open, need some form of training (DD214 or NRA course)
    • Hawaii- need a justifiable reason to conceal (just like here)
    • Illinios-concealed carry is illegal and should be here
    • Have CCW like the police do with caliber restrictions and qualifications

I would like to see Constitutional Carry but I seriously doubt NJ will go that way from how it is now. Most likely it will be as it is minus having to "show justifiable need". That means:

1. Safety and use of force classes annually.

2. Qualification 2X a year.

When NJ goes with a carry permiot for anyone they would have to expand the firearms division at NJSP as that where it should be handled not by individual police chiefs.

Active and Retired LEOs are required the above. Any caliber restrictions are imposed by the agency for active LEOs and retired LEOs can carry anything.

AFAIK there is no restriction on retired LEOs carrying only what they qualify with only a requirement to qualify. They would need to qualify with different firearms to meet the LEOSA requirement of carrying a firearm of the same type of action they qualified with. Active LEOs are usually restricted to whatever specific firearms they use to qualify.

I just read the 2A again, I can't find any of this in there...:banghead:

With thoughts like this, it just goes to show you that a lot of us have been in NJ for way toooooo long.

Don't get me wrong, I know where you are coming from, but we shouldn't even be considering this as an option, the 2A is the 2A and that's that.

Harry

• Like 1

I just read the 2A again, I can't find any of this in there...:banghead:

With thoughts like this, it just goes to show you that a lot of us have been in NJ for way toooooo long.

Don't get me wrong, I know where you are coming from, but we shouldn't even be considering this as an option, the 2A is the 2A and that's that.

Harry

Please note I said:

I would like to see Constitutional Carry but I seriously doubt NJ will go that way from how it is now. Most likely it will be as it is minus having to "show justifiable need".

You can argue the 2A all you want but I'm being a realist about the issue. You are not going from the present system in NJ to Constitutional Carry. SCOTUS ruled "reasonable restrictions" are permitted.

I qualify retired LEOs (am certified by NJSP to do so) and I have not heard of this. There is nothing I've seen in the training materials from NJSP or on their website that says you have to qualify with the gun and ammo you are going to carry (although it is a good idea). This may be some firearms instructors extending what was required when they active to retired guys but it is no where in print.

Now you have me very curious. I'd like to hear from PK90 on this. I'll also reach out to the LEOs I'm referencing, and see who along the line gave them this info.

Please note I said:

I would like to see Constitutional Carry but I seriously doubt NJ will go that way from how it is now. Most likely it will be as it is minus having to "show justifiable need".

You can argue the 2A all you want but I'm being a realist about the issue. You are not going from the present system in NJ to Constitutional Carry. SCOTUS ruled "reasonable restrictions" are permitted.

I understand and agree with you, exactly why I added the last part of my response to you. I feel that's what it may wind up being, but I still think it stinks, but hope to see a lot more than what we have now but time will tell after all this is NJ

Harry

Now you have me very curious. I'd like to hear from PK90 on this. I'll also reach out to the LEOs I'm referencing, and see who along the line gave them this info.

No restrictions as far as I know. I am also certified to qualify RPO. Twice a year and no sooner than 3 months apart. Oh, and $50/yr. Ripoff.

The NJSP don't even qualify their own retirees. :icon_rolleyes:

I voted PA style because its as close to Florida style and thats the system I know. With the exception PA allows open carry with no license or training which I agree with than no open carry at all.

Ultimately I know even if the state is forced to change the way they issue CCW permits it will remain the same. Permits will be denied in whole sale amounts and no one will get one. The state doesn't like being told what to do, and will not follow any court mandate handed to them. I mean every official in NJ thinks there above the law right.

If it were up to me to decide the law, I think I'd go pretty much with an Alaska type model. I mean, assuming the other state laws were in place, where you have to get a permit to purchase a pistol, and have an FID, get the background check, etc. I think an open, or CC, would be fine. If you're going through all that trouble to purchase legally, you probably should be able to carry legally.

It's all these responses that are ok with a permitting system that give the anti's so much ground to stand on. It's all a gray areas of how much regulation is allowed, gray is scary and bad, NJ is gray. If permits are "reasonable" then why isn't a statewide registration of all people with firearms? The way people are raised here blows my mind. I am starting another project to add to my door to door campaign. Free gun lessons for Kids! and no I am not joking. I am going to start offering free firearms education to all the kids my friends have and even maybe make up a flier to hand out as well. If I can get them young enough who knows maybe we can shake the ignorance out of this state.

It's all these responses that are ok with a permitting system that give the anti's so much ground to stand on. It's all a gray areas of how much regulation is allowed, gray is scary and bad, NJ is gray. If permits are "reasonable" then why isn't a statewide registration of all people with firearms? The way people are raised here blows my mind. I am starting another project to add to my door to door campaign. Free gun lessons for Kids! and no I am not joking. I am going to start offering free firearms education to all the kids my friends have and even maybe make up a flier to hand out as well. If I can get them young enough who knows maybe we can shake the ignorance out of this state.

I was going to take a job at YMCA camp Lake Ockanickon where I would teach kids to shoot air rifles. I didn't take it because it paid $24 a day, and I'd have to drive 40 minutes to get there. But yeah, most people who heard I got my FID asked why I needed a gun, and some even seemed taken a back.

I saw a bumpersticker in 4th grade that would change my opinion on this matter forever, "The Kennedy's Car has killed more people than my gun, fear the government that fears the gun" Or something like that. It's true, people thing that all guns can just get up, walk around, and shoot everything. They don't think that responsible, law-abiding citizens such as ourselves pose no risk to anything. And what kills me about this is just how America is about Freedom, we have the Freedom to own guns, just as they have the freedom NOT to own guns. I don't see any of us forcing others to get firearms, why must the infringe upon our rights?

If permits are "reasonable" then why isn't a statewide registration of all people with firearms?

If you buy a hamdgun in NJ legally there is satewide registration already. You don't think NJSP and the local PD just toss their copies of the purchase permit do you?

In McDonald SCOTUS said "reasonable restrictions" were okay. The only way you get rid of a reasonable restriction is to contest it on Constitutional grounds so it can get to SCOTUS. I don't think you'd get a permitting system as done in "shall issue" states ruled unconstitutional. The same with no open carry. If the state lets you carry concealed you won't get far arguing they w n't let you open carry.

I would gladly take a system like florida has, assuming it came with the same castle doctrine. I dont have a problem with permits when there easily obtained and constitutional as well having laws in place to protect those who use deadly force. My dad just went through there CCW course and he said it was a joke, didnt learn much about how to handle a firearm, but learned a good amount of the state laws and how to stay out of jail in the event he ever needs to use it.

I feel like a good permit system will actual help the pro-gunners, people -the anti's- cant complain if something happens that the state didnt try and make sure responsible carry is in place and inadvertently blame would always fall on the individual(logically).

• Like 1

Keep in mind...that because VT doesn't have an option permit...they have NO reciprocity with any other state.

yup. if you're going to go for an unrestricted state, states like alaska would be a better choice. they still issue permits for residents for reciprocity reasons.

Keep in mind...that because VT doesn't have an option permit...they have NO reciprocity with any other state.

I think a lot of people in Vermont just get a NH non-resident permit and carry in those states with reciprocity.

I think a lot of people in Vermont just get a NH non-resident permit and carry in those states with reciprocity.

True. In fact I have UT and AZ for the added reciprocity. However, if you wanted to visit CO, FL, ME, MI, NH or SC, you would need either a reciprocal home state permit or one from each of those states...as they only honor resident permits. Granted, it's only 6 states...but just something to think about....as that number could increase.

I'm certainly not trying to knock Constitutional Carry...but until it gets a little more widespread...an optional home state permit would be the way to go.