NJdiverTony

How do you sharpen your knives?

I've read some good things about the Edge Pro Apex:

http://edgeproinc204.corecommerce.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c3/

I don't sharpen knives that often, so I've never been able to justify the cost.

+1

I picked up the Edge Pro Apex last year, it's a great sharpener. Takes some time to learn how to use it; once you do, it's very easy.

Like I said, I do too. But it works poorly for anything hollow ground or serrated. Also, for kitchen cutlery I find I don't like it on paring and utility type knives. But it is what I do to my large chef's knife and things like ulus or cleavers.

Sorry, I missed that part on your post. But I agree, it doesn't work well for those surfaces. I don't really use serrated blades anymore. I used to take a lot of time caring for my steel. But the fact of the matter is, when you put steel to hard use, it's going to get nicked, bent, and not look as pretty as when you first got it. I've got blades nicked up so bad that it looks like someone took a bite out of it. I don't buy expensive knives anymore and I don't obsess about keeping it razor sharp.

I'm mostly talking about EDC or fighting knives here. I've started a collection of not very expensive hand forged Japanese knives that are laminated steel. Good stuff and I do try not to abuse those the same way I do my working knives.

Just curious to how everyones keeps their knives nice and sharp?

I personally like my knives to be razor sharp... When I can get the edge sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm, when I test it out... Then it's good enough for me. I use the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker system... And it works great for me. Simple, quick, and very effective.

What do you all use to keep your blades sharp?

Hi there NJdiverTony! I just use my regular basic sharpening steel and sometimes the diamond steel for my serrated knife.. What kind of knife do you have? Chef Phil has some really great tips on knife sharpening. I learned a lot from him. You might want to check it out too.

http://www.jesrestaurantequipment.com/jesrestaurantequipmentblog/knife-sharpening-101-chef-phil-knife-sharpening/

Hi there NJdiverTony! I just use my regular basic sharpening steel and sometimes the diamond steel for my serrated knife.. What kind of knife do you have? Chef Phil has some really great tips on knife sharpening. I learned a lot from him. You might want to check it out too.

http://www.jesrestau...ife-sharpening/

Forgive me but Chef Phil was very clear in the video that what he was about to demonstrate was not sharpening but steeling the knife.The very fact that he showed a electric sharpener that you can purchase at your local

Williams and Sanoma for an exorbitant sum and said it was better left to professionals anyway tells me this video was focused to your average housewife or kitchen neophyte, not a bunch of gentlemen with vast collections and experience with cutting tools.

This last Christmas my wife bought me the Wicked Edge. Hands down the fastest and sharpest my blades have ever been. A little pricey though,and not to portable. but all in all pretty wicked!

http://www.bestsharp...-Sharpener.html

Plus one for the Wicked Edge. Had the Lansky (gave it to my son), the Edge Pro Apex (sold it), but this Wicked Edge is just really well thought out and a snap to use and get consistent edges. I keep a Spyderco set at our place in WV, but I honestly like the Wicked Edge so much I may have to buy another to keep down there too.

sorry to resurrect the thread, but a quick question I can't find a decent answer to from almighty google

do I need a "fine" stone to finish sharpening?

My purpose here is regular kitchen knives (not super expensive stuff) and working tools (pocket knives, axes, etc).

From what I can tell coarse is great for the outdoor tools but I've also seen some stuff about "finishing" an edge with a fine stone. I was planning to just get a coarse and medium Lansky diamond stones (http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/LSLDB6M/Lansky-6-inch-x-2-inch-Diamond-Benchstone-Medium)...do I need a fine?

sorry to resurrect the thread, but a quick question I can't find a decent answer to from almighty google

do I need a "fine" stone to finish sharpening?

My purpose here is regular kitchen knives (not super expensive stuff) and working tools (pocket knives, axes, etc).

From what I can tell coarse is great for the outdoor tools but I've also seen some stuff about "finishing" an edge with a fine stone. I was planning to just get a coarse and medium Lansky diamond stones (http://www2.knifecen...nchstone-Medium)...do I need a fine?

For standard Kitchen knives you don't but if there's a deal on a strop,get it.

Any way I feel works for that particular knife :)

Granted, I have the luxury of having various equipment, have used just about everything out there as its what I do but with that said:

For pure accuracy to whatever fraction of a degree you want or multiple degrees, you can't beat the WEPS. Hands down the best affixed sharpener available and always growing, Clay is always updating that thing and adding to it.

For good control and every grit imaginable including power stropping with leather and pastes, a 1x42 vertical sander, the slower the better.

For crazy sharp after you have it profiled, paper wheels and rogues.

For true Zen sharpening .. by hand and stone.

The majority of my sharpening, even personal stuff, I do on belts making convex edges up to about 1k grit and move to paper wheels ... shaving sharp.

Just my 2 cents.

Any way I feel works for that particular knife :)

Granted, I have the luxury of having various equipment, have used just about everything out there as its what I do but with that said:

For pure accuracy to whatever fraction of a degree you want or multiple degrees, you can't beat the WEPS. Hands down the best affixed sharpener available and always growing, Clay is always updating that thing and adding to it.

For good control and every grit imaginable including power stropping with leather and pastes, a 1x42 vertical sander, the slower the better.

For crazy sharp after you have it profiled, paper wheels and rogues.

For true Zen sharpening .. by hand and stone.

The majority of my sharpening, even personal stuff, I do on belts making convex edges up to about 1k grit and move to paper wheels ... shaving sharp.

Just my 2 cents.

My good Japanese blades I do with a water stones but do you do standard chef's knives? I have several sets of chef's,carving,Tong Ma's and some Globals that need some attention before the holidays....something you can handle?

Absolutely!

If ZB sharpening is your business, might as well place an ad in that specific forum for members businesses, might bring in new customers. :)

> http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/forum/104-member-owned-businesses/

If ZB sharpening is your business, might as well place an ad in that specific forum for members businesses, might bring in new customers. :)

> http://njgunforums.c...ned-businesses/

Thanks JohnP,

I'll poke around and look into it!

I was telling Duppie that I found this site lloking for NJ laws on a new M&P 15 I'm modding.

Was happy to see there was a knife forum as well :)

For anyone wanting to try a great way to sharpen on the cheap, get this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-inch-x-30-inch-belt-sander-2485.html

Some various degree belts from a place like trugrit, grab a leather belt as well, hunt down some 1 micron boron paste or a rogue bar

A bucket of water and a towel.

It's cheap, Chinese crap, but it works. BUT its real fast so do a bunch of junkers on it first till you get a handle on it.

Move fast and dip, don't let the metal get hope.

Change belts as you go and work your way up to the leather strop.

Hell, just the power stropping its worth it :)

Good video of it. Belt wise, the 80 is a bit rough and gives teeth. I like starting at 600 if the knife is OK, work up to at least 1k if not into the single digit microns before the leather, depends.

Also, I like working it off the platen and let the flex in the belt make a natural convex.

Point is, cheap, a bit of skill, and it will get a knife up and shaving sharp in minutes.

What the vid doesn't tell you is move faster, the belt is running at 3700fpm, so watch the heat and dip in water.

This last Christmas my wife bought me the Wicked Edge. Hands down the fastest and sharpest my blades have ever been. A little pricey though,and not to portable. but all in all pretty wicked!

http://www.bestsharp...-Sharpener.html

you, sir, have a wife that gives good gifts.