Sht

Anyone EDC a fixed blade?

I sometimes EDC an Emerson La Griffe.

dsc06646p.jpg

The knife came with the Kydex sheath, which I attached to a small Blade-Tech Tek-lok. The whole thing clips on my belt for centerline carry.

The primary reason I don't EDC this knife on the regular is comfort. Personally, daily carry of a 4" fixed blade would be very tough.

I think it may be harder to justify the carrying of a fixed blade knife. In a regular state, I'd be a lot more comfortable with doing it in a regular state, but it'd be hard using "Oh I use this 4 inch long fixed blade knife to open boxes and cut string."

I think it may be harder to justify the carrying of a fixed blade knife. In a regular state, I'd be a lot more comfortable with doing it in a regular state, but it'd be hard using "Oh I use this 4 inch long fixed blade knife to open boxes and cut string."

I thought about this, but I'm a construction worker do you think occupation is factored in?

My life or a co-works may depend on cutting a rope or slicing a flex hose. I rather not screw around with a folder. I have seen some people carry k-bars in NYC. That might be worse than jersey.

Thanks for the replies & if anyone has more thought please post

Tommy that's a nice set up you got there

Jesse

Your occupation most certainly plays a role in the issue. Just consider your companies policies on "weapons". It's kind of hard for you to use your job as a reason, when your job's policies forbid you to have a "weapon" on you.

Your occupation most certainly plays a role in the issue. Just consider your companies policies on "weapons". It's kind of hard for you to use your job as a reason, when your job's policies forbid you to have a "weapon" on you.

Here's a brain twister... When does a tool become a weapon? I guess when it is used as one. Until then it is a tool. My $.02

• Like 1

Here's a brain twister... When does a tool become a weapon? I guess when it is used as one. Until then it is a tool. My $.02

Think about this ... If an officer decides it is a weapon, you can still get arrested, have to get bailed out, get a lawyer, go to court, and maybe the judge will agree with you :icon_e_sad:

• Like 1

Think about this ... If an officer decides it is a weapon, you can still get arrested, have to get bailed out, get a lawyer, go to court, and maybe the judge will agree with you :icon_e_sad:

do not allow fear of a nonexistent law to cause you to act as if your behavior is criminal when it is not..

nj law makes no distinction as to if the blade of a carried knife HAS to fold and or close, OR if it can just be a fixed blade.. while carrying around a 14in butcher knife would likely land you in trouble.. there is nothing to say you can not carry a fixed blade that is consistent with you legal just cause to carry such a knife.. I would actually prefer to carry a fixed blade.. but I just can not find the right one with the right sheath.....

do not allow fear of a nonexistent law to cause you to act as if your behavior is criminal when it is not..

nj law makes no distinction as to if the blade of a carried knife HAS to fold and or close, OR if it can just be a fixed blade.. while carrying around a 14in butcher knife would likely land you in trouble.. there is nothing to say you can not carry a fixed blade that is consistent with you legal just cause to carry such a knife.. I would actually prefer to carry a fixed blade.. but I just can not find the right one with the right sheath.....

I agree that there is no prohibition against a fixed blade knife, but depending on the knife you are much more likely to run into trouble with some officers.

I would also prefer a fixed blade, I like the Shivworks Clinch Pick myself, which brings me to another point. I would be hesitant to carry any knife that I would be upset if an officer decided to confiscate, thus I try to keep my carry knives under $100, which rules out the Clinch Pick. I wish I could find something similar for under $100. I have been playing with an Izula, but I don't like the sheath, and the grip pokes my fat belly.

I agree that there is no prohibition against a fixed blade knife, but depending on the knife you are much more likely to run into trouble with some officers.

I would also prefer a fixed blade, I like the Shivworks Clinch Pick myself, which brings me to another point. I would be hesitant to carry any knife that I would be upset if an officer decided to confiscate, thus I try to keep my carry knives under $100, which rules out the Clinch Pick. I wish I could find something similar for under $100. I have been playing with an Izula, but I don't like the sheath, and the grip pokes my fat belly.

the sheath is the biggest issue with me as well... I would want it higher on the belt.. not so visible.. with a nice short fat thick blade..

the sheath is the biggest issue with me as well... I would want it higher on the belt.. not so visible.. with a nice short fat thick blade..

I was thinking about going with more of a hunting type of knife over a tacticool one. The sheath dose seem to be the most important part

Of the equation. Anyone go with a custom iwb with a clip? I did some google searching but most seem more for looks and not very practical.

I was thinking about going with more of a hunting type of knife over a tacticool one. The sheath dose seem to be the most important part

Of the equation. Anyone go with a custom iwb with a clip? I did some google searching but most seem more for looks and not very practical.

I would avoid carrying the knife in a way that conveys that you are intentionally concealing it.. while there is no limitation on method of carry per the letter of the law.. you must be able to explain your lawful purpose.. I would think that explaining away the need for concealing it would compound the difficulty in walking away free and clear.. I am looking for a nice small heavy fixed blade in a sheath that rides high so that while it is not intentionally concealed.. it is not in obvious sight either..

Don't get me wrong, I COMPLETELY agree with you. That's why I said "weapon" in quotation marks, because it's their term....not mine. I also believe in the comment below though...

I would also prefer a fixed blade, I like the Shivworks Clinch Pick myself

Joel, any advice on where to buy a Clinch Pick? Chris demo'ed it in a MDTS tactical folder class last summer, but I've never seen one for sale (even on the secondhand BladeForums market).

Joel, any advice on where to buy a Clinch Pick? Chris demo'ed it in a MDTS tactical folder class last summer, but I've never seen one for sale (even on the secondhand BladeForums market).

In theory they carry them HERE, but they are never is stock. They rarely show up on the used market. I don't know if Southnarc plans to do another run or what?

I picked up the Ontario Knives version of the RAT 3 w/ a kydex sheath. I also made a pouch sheath for it as well. I carried it for about two days at my one job; first w/ the kydex and the other w/ the leather.The universal response was kydex gave everyone the wrong idea and the leather sheath made it much less intimidating. Then just to make sure I wouldn't have an LEO problem, I asked four different officers in four different jurisdictions and every one of them said the same thing: I wouldn't recommend it, it WILL get you the wrong kind of attention from 99% of cops and it really wouldn't be worth the hassle.

That being said, if you are working in the woods and/or remote area, I'd say go for it. When I'm woods doing whatever, my Kabar is always strapped on.

Honestly, carrying a pocket knife can be blown out of proportion by some LEO's that I would not want some sort of intimidating looking large fixed blade knife on me or in my vehicle. If my occupation was a construction worker, or a lineman, or something of the sort, I would feel much more comfortable having a fixed blade knife on me. But my line of work is anything but, so in that sense, I'll pass.

I agree that a knife is a tool. It CAN be used as a weapon, but until that line is crossed, it is a tool.

For now, I have a few knives that I usually carry, but they are all very small. I can still cut whatever I need to, but they don't give an LEO the thinking of 'now what the HELL is this guy doing with this 5'' fixed KaBar'. Instead, they will most likely say, 'oh, that LITTLE THING!?' and not be interested in it.

I think a lot of people go over board with a carrying knife in terms of length and size, or even type, based on what their uses are it for, but hey, that's just my opinion.

I like knives and I have many from the time I was a young child, but with the line of work I am in and where I work, I can't carry other than when I am off work. I used to carry a knife the same way I left the house with my wallet and keys, no only when I know I might need one, and not for SD.

I will say, I saw a combo kit at Lowes, they were a few folders and some other stuff in the pack, I think a carabiner or 2 also. Well the folders use a razor blade that inserted into the end. Now this would be great for anything you have to cut open, and easy to swap out blades when you need to. Also if a SD situation came up, a razor blade isn't anything take lightly.

I think this is a real nice alternative and very useful and cheap, and a good addition to any of you who might carry a leather mans or the like.

To note, this is coming from someone who used to carry a Buck-120 all the time, I think the current model is a 119 but I have no use or need for that kind f knife any longer.

Just wanted to put this out here being it was different and I didn't see it posted. Plus I think I just talked myself into picking up one of these kits on the way home from work today.

I carry a folder every day of my life. Yes suit or sport jacket, carry a knife

Different knives all folders capable of being opened with one hand.

I used to carry a sheath knife on the boat because one hand is ussually occupied when you need it.

Now I carry a single handed opener and it's fine.

Pocket clip models work as a money clip when dressed up.

If you're talking about the FIN series Ray, look into them. They are really sharp and run a decent price. What's nice is they are a nice comfortable knife that isn't really small and isn't really big. I think mine is a total of 6 inches long.

Gracias papi Andre

Plenty of smaller fixed blades out there that I have no problems/worries about EDCing:

One's I own or have owned at one point (favorites are starred):

RAT Izula

Hinderer Flashpoint *

Dervish Silverfish *

Krein Dogfish TK-1, TK-2, and a few more

Strider ED

Bark River Knife and Tool PSK *

Graham Wee Razel *, Pocket Leaf, etc. (or the budget option CRKT Stubby Razel, which is Graham designed, CRKT built.)

Most of those are pretty easy to find and are small enough to carry comfortably without offending any delicate sensibilities.

Ray, I've been looking at this for a while. I've been wanting a solid knife that is on the smaller side yet can be good for backpacking. This is what I plan on getting soon enough. It comes with a nice little kydex sheath which I can conceal under a button down shirt or put on my shoulder strap of my pack.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/TOWP011/tops-knives-wolf-pup-xl-extra

It's the knife Gabe Suarez was carrying in his Kalashnikov Gunfighting dvd.

That thing will definitely get some attention where I work. And I don't know who Mr. Suarez is. But thanks anyway.

I wasn't suggesting it for work silly goose, I was suggesting it for general use.

Gabe is a world-renowned firearms instructor. I'm surprised you don't have any of his AK videos.