diceman3

Fla Resident/Home NJ/ Has Purchase ID

Hi, I'm a Florida resident, with home in NJ. Can I purchase a pistol from out of state, and have it shipped to a NJ FFL and pick up gun. While this might not be pertinent, I have also obtained a NJ purchase ID through the NJ State Police, but have never bought a hand gun in NJ, but go to the range quite frequently

Hi, I'm a Florida resident, with home in NJ. Can I purchase a pistol from out of state, and have it shipped to a NJ FFL and pick up gun. While this might not be pertinent, I have also obtained a NJ purchase ID through the NJ State Police, but have never bought a hand gun in NJ, but go to the range quite frequently

Hi, Welcome.

Unless you have a permit to purchase a pistol, you will not be able to pick up a pistol in NJ. If you have a residency in NJ and have a Firearms Purchaser ID issued to that address, I would think you could get a permit to purchase a pistol to that address. Federal law requires that handguns be purchased in the state of your residency so if your Purchaser ID is issued to a FL address, you will not be able to purchase or receive a handgun in NJ unless you can demonstrate NJ residency. There are also NJ one gun a month laws, limiting your purchases here even if you were legally able to do so.

My advice is to go to Florida, buy what you want and bring them to NJ. It's completely legal.

If you have two homes, one in FL and one in NJ, your best bet is to have your FPID with the NJ address. You then can get permits for that address. It cripples you to have your FL address on your FPID. Your problem will be obtaining a government issued Photo ID card with your NJ address on it.

If you have two homes, one in FL and one in NJ, your best bet is to have your FPID with the NJ address. You then can get permits for that address. It cripples you to have your FL address on your FPID. Your problem will be obtaining a government issued Photo ID card with your NJ address on it.

Thanks for all the comments, and it is probably best to have the pistol sent to my Florida FFL, and pick it up there. Interestingly, my NJ Purchase ID is issued to my NJ address, and I have an Essex County photo ID.

Thanks for all the comments, and it is probably best to have the pistol sent to my Florida FFL, and pick it up there. Interestingly, my NJ Purchase ID is issued to my NJ address, and I have an Essex County photo ID.

Then you SHOULD be legal to buy handguns in NJ using your NJ ID and a pistol permit, but why would you bother? As Malsua said, it is legal for you to bring any legally purchased handguns from FL to NJ (except AW's or mags over 15 rounds) without additional paperwork.

You should absolutely follow all the random anonymous advice you get on the internet instead of actually contacting a lawyer in your area who is well versed in 2nd amendment law.

Just follow the random internet legal advice (that's worth exactly what you paid for it) you'll be fine…

You should absolutely follow all the random anonymous advice you get on the internet instead of actually contacting a lawyer in your area who is well versed in 2nd amendment law.

Just follow the random internet legal advice (that's worth exactly what you paid for it) you'll be fine…

Steve,

yes, we are random people who know each other offline, shoot, hang out. We know nothing about NJ Law, and our FFL's in NJ, especially those that support this forum are morons who do not know anything.

This is not that difficult of a question. =)

:facepalm:

• Like 2

Steve,

yes, we are random people who know each other offline, shoot, hang out. We know nothing about NJ Law, and our FFL's in NJ, especially those that support this forum are morons who do not know anything.

This is not that difficult of a question. =)

:facepalm:

+1

Perhaps I was a bit too sarcastic. I'm sorry. My post was rather rude and uncalled for especially since I am in the exact situation.

I own homes in FL and NJ. Before I brought my weapon here for the summer, I checked with local PD and my attorney (after reviewing internet forums). Some of the internet advice I received was DEAD WRONG.

Steve,

unlike most other places, we will be very quick to scream "stop talking about it online, and go talk to a lawyer"

In most cases though, the folks on here are quite knowledgeable, considering many of the posters here are LEO, or directly involved with the firearms community in NJ. NJ is a small state, so most know each other. =)

Are you saying if I can legally buy a hand gun somewhere in the US, I can legally bring it back to NJ if I have a valid NJ FID card? For example, supose you are allowed to buy a hand gun in the state of South Dakota with just a drivers lic from any state. I buy they gun, I have a NJ FID card. I can bring that gun back to NJ leagally?

Are you saying if I can legally buy a hand gun somewhere in the US, I can legally bring it back to NJ if I have a valid NJ FID card? For example, supose you are allowed to buy a hand gun in the state of South Dakota with just a drivers lic from any state. I buy they gun, I have a NJ FID card. I can bring that gun back to NJ leagally?

Don't know specifically, but if you are a NJ resident only, you cannot.

If you lived in another state, and purchased something there legally, as long as it is legal in NJ, you can bring it in when say you move.

You can however buy long guns out of state, obviously as long as nj compliant.

Federal law allows you to buy handguns only in the state you live in. You can however, be a resident in more than one state (at least as far as gun buying goes) if you have homes in both states. This would permit you to buy a handgun, in the state you are currently residing in, whichever that might be (you must have proof of in state residency - gov document). NJ law allows you to bring any legally purchased non AW handguns to your NJ residence without doing any additional paperwork - an FID is not necessary to posses these handguns legally, although it would be a good idea to have one.

Steve,

Do you believe the advice you got from LEO's? many of them do not know our myriad of gun laws well enough, and give out totally incorrect information.

You are correct in saying that consulting with a lawyer is always the best thing to do.

Steve,

Do you believe the advice you got from LEO's? many of them do not know our myriad of gun laws well enough, and give out totally incorrect information.

You are correct in saying that consulting with a lawyer is always the best thing to do.

I checked with local PD first then called my attorney. The LEO was 100% correct in this matter and quite helpful, I might add. I live in a very small beach town. When I called him to ask about bringing my legally purchased guns from FL without having obtained the NJ FID card, he told me the FID card was not necessary as long as my weapons were secured in accordance with NJ law and I was going directly to my residence. I thanked him and told him I would stop by the police station to begin the application process for my FID card, he actually came to my house to drop off the forms!

To answer a previous response to my sarcastic comment, I was NOT given bad advice on this forum! To be quite honest, other forums I belong to have significantly more members than this one and many of those members often give their best guess to answer questions. My sarcastic comment would have been more useful on those forums. It's just that I would never want to make a mistake that could cause me to lose my 2A rights.

I checked with local PD first then called my attorney. The LEO was 100% correct in this matter and quite helpful, I might add. I live in a very small beach town. When I called him to ask about bringing my legally purchased guns from FL without having obtained the NJ FID card, he told me the FID card was not necessary as long as my weapons were secured in accordance with NJ law and I was going directly to my residence. I thanked him and told him I would stop by the police station to begin the application process for my FID card, he actually came to my house to drop off the forms!

To answer a previous response to my sarcastic comment, I was NOT given bad advice on this forum! To be quite honest, other forums I belong to have significantly more members than this one and many of those members often give their best guess to answer questions. My sarcastic comment would have been more useful on those forums. It's just that I would never want to make a mistake that could cause me to lose my 2A rights.

I'm glad to hear the LEO you talked to gave you accurate information, we hear many stories of LEOs who claim to know the law telling people things that are just plain wrong. NJ's laws are convoluted at best, and many LEOs have trouble understanding them just like the rest of us.