YWHIC

FLC Vest or Ranger-Rack Molle Rig??

I was looking at this FLC Vest for $20-35:

FLCVest.jpg

or this Ranger Rack for $30-45:

RangerRack.jpg

for use with say a 3 double M4/AR mag pouches,2 double 762/AR10 Mag pouches, and maybe a dbl 9mm pouch..

anyone run one of these rigs?? The Ranger Rack one looks a little constrictive.. IMHO..

I would like to wear my wimpy Class 2 vest under it (if needed)..

opinions on THESE 2 OPTIONS??

trying to start on ultra low budget and both these fit into it..

Al

the second one says it can FOLD down up top (thus converted to waist unit)..

my Class 2 vest is the old type with just 2 straps over the shoulders and velcro on the sides..

new%20dcu%20rack%20green%202.jpg

the #2 also has straps up over the top and down the back in a X cross pattern..

This is the BACK of the #1 FLC rig..

472001051_o.jpg

I just want a SIMPLE & economical rig for 'lite' range use and possible SHTF if it were to occur..

Al 'The Range Commando' :sarcastichand:

no plates.. just a simple Kevlar unit.. no carrier per se.. to be worn over a T-shirt and UNDER uniform shirt.. circa 2003..

I was going to use it as a TARGET at the range (as I know they expire/break-down).. but a vest that still stops handguns (more than likely) works for me..

I would wait until you save up some more money, and buy something high-quality from one of the many reputable military/LEO gear companies. A vest for $30? Most likely the stitching is going to come undone under some use and it's overall not made as heavy duty as higher-end gear. But the cool thing, you can find very well made vests and rigs around the $100 mark...sure some can be up to $400 but they are making some high quality gear nowadays without the big price tag.

I agree with Andres. I have a $30 LBV that was given to me. It's cheap nylon - mostly feels like plastic. I've never used it because of that.

My $300+ SOE (Before they changed to Original SOE) CQB Vest is made from 1000 Denier Cordura nylon - it won't rip and takes a beating.

I could wear kevlar under it as well.

Just figured out the vest I got for $6 is a Specialty Defense Solutions one..

Tactical Advantage Store.. SDS FLC Vest

For $40-60 new.. I think $6 for used is GTG.. IMHO..

Al

Honestly, to me, it looks cheap and probably will not last. That zipper front may make things uncomfortable as well.

Hey, if it works and you like it go for it. Although you'll want something with a little more quality soon. Then you'll see the difference in quality, fit, and form and function.

I run a tactical tailor rig.. and it was a **** ton more what you paid... but judging by the stitching on it you could probably tie it to the back of a truck drag it for several days and it would hold up.. I prefer to spend more once get the best I can afford and call it a day.. but good luck with the purchase.. hopefully it will work out for you..

Thanks..

Its the SDS FLC Molle II Vest.

I checked on AR15 and it got 23 page of good reviews under the Armory / Gear section..

appparently these are the IN thing on there (at least under that section)..

I just ordered up:

Triple AR mag holder (holds 6 mags)

Double AR10 mag holder (holds 4 mags)

Double 9mm mag holder (holds 2 mags)

all Coyote Tan and all with the FLAPS..

that was $51..

figured since it it GI issue it should be GTG..

Saving some more ca$h for the extra pouches for med-kit and other tools and such..

Al

Hey Brother,

Just watch those metal buckles on the back. With the vest loaded down, and particularly if you throw a pack of some sort on your back over the vest, depending on your physique, they are at the minimum, a hot spot...The little metal edges can abrade clothing and flesh. At a minimum, tape em after you get the adjustments right. Don't get carried away though, or you'll create other issues like trying to carry your pack with a golf ball wedged under it. Uncle Sugar's gear isn't always the best, but it's functional and way better then nothing. With some grunt ingenuity most can be made to work to a fairly good degree. For the money, I'd say you'll be good to go, at least until your wallet allows a more substantial upgrade.

Respectfully,

Harry

Harry hit on it, but I was going to say just because it's USGI doesn't really mean it's all that great-- and that's speaking from experience.

There is a reason why I will prefer something that is used by operators or competitors as those types of systems are oft catered or developed around specific needs. Sure, there are people who simply buy those items for that fact alone (making them mall ninjas or fan boys); instead, given the item is quality to began with, I see it as a task-driven piece of equipment that wasn't necessarily developed by the lowest bidder to meet some BS requirement list. (Though there are some USGI items that are quality across the board.)

Would I spend exuberant amounts of money though for some nylon? Probably not, mostly because I'm not in a position where I need to spend something like $300+. Still, I'm going to look for the best bang for my buck-- which can easily be had for under/around $100 total.

I'm not critiquing you or anything, what you opt for in the end is entirely your choice. Just food for thought.

Heres the pics of the pouches.. (all in Coyote Tan though)

I ordered a Double 600D open-top (short 4" height type) for my 20's (well 15 for NJ)..holds 2..

Dbl556.JPG

Then heres the Double 762 ones.. (holds 4 mags)

DBL762.JPG

Here is the Triple AR mag pouch.. (holds 6 mags)

Triple556.JPG

Heres is the Double 9mm pouch.. (holds 2 mags)

Dbl9holder.jpg

Figure this is a good starting point..

Well I screwed the Open-Top (short ones) up.. there for the 308 mags also..

told dealer to cancel them out.. :(

I did find Tactical Tailer makes SINGLE open-top 20's (for M4/AR) for $15.50 each..

Blackhawk makes DOUBLES (for 20 round mags) (for M4/AR) with FLAPS for $28...

Going to wait on that for a minute..

ordered a Frag Pouch (TRC brand) $4, and a 200 SAW pouch (SDS brand) for $9 with free shipping..

Going to use the SAW pouch for odd/ends and spare ammo in boxes, light food rations maybe..

The Frag pouch will work for small items.. matches, pocket knife, etc..

this will balance out the front abit on it..

Will post pics when I get it all togther..

Al

Heres some of the pouches that came in..

SetupA.jpg

What I like is the fact ALL THE POUCHES have FLAPS that can be removed (held in with Velcro).. if you want.. or shoved down inside..

here is a pic showing the AR15 6 mags holder with the FLAPS totally removed.. this would be just like having an OPEN-TOP unit.. the elastic is REALLY taught..

OpenTopOption.jpg

** note the 20 round 'pinned/blocked' mags that have been neutered to 15.. **

I found some BLACK FOAM to insert into the bottom of M4/30 round pouches..

My 15/20's AR Mags now sit with 1 3/8" sticking up.. figure a cheap fix for my range plinking..

FoamInsert.jpg

Gonna buy the Blackhawk 20's proper ones when I have more $$..

Here is the RIG setup as I like it..

6 - 20/15 round 223/5.56 mags (magpuls on way)

4 - 20/15 round 308/762 mags

2 - 9mm mags for my Sig Pro 2022

1 - Frag Pouch holding some 550 cord currently.. soon to have flint/matches/cell

1 - SAW 200 pouch holding AIR.. soon to have med-kit, 8x8 tarp, whatever, xtra ammo..

Weighs at 12 Lbs.. fully loaded up..

SetUpA-1.jpg

Total was $6 for the vest.. $51 and $12 for the pouches.. under $80.. :)

Can you even out the weight? Might be heavy on one side.

I like it, it'll work dude.

Thanks..

Its pretty even.. the 4-15 round 308 mags weigh only slightly more than the 6-15 AR15 mags..

I was able to put almost 10 lbs of ammo in the SAW pouch.. but that was a little :icon_rolleyes:

I can't see me going 'prone' with the double THICK pouches..

I shoot from Kneeling pretty good though.. :)