Employer Reference Problem

My husband and I applied for permits in our town in Ocean County. The detective called yesterday and said that he had good news and bad news. The good news was for my husband who recieved his FID and a handgun purchace permit. The bad news was that my employer did not agree that I should own a gun. I have recently left this employer and have a case for wrongful termination with them. I have called the attorney that is representing me on this matter. The detective said I could go before a Superior court judge about this. He also suggested I could reapply in a few months.

I just wanted this to go to the range when the grandchildren from Montana are here and to have legal ownership of any of the guns my husband may own if anything happens to him.

Any Ideas or suggestions?

I don't understand why you would have listed this company as your employer if you were no longer employed by them. Also, if you do in fact have a suit filed against them, what made you believe they would provide a good reference? You should have put down unemployed, because you are in fact unemployed, right?

• Like 1

I don't understand why you would have listed this company as your employer if you were no longer employed by them. Also, if you do in fact have a suit filed against them, what made you believe they would provide a good reference? You should have put down unemployed, because you are in fact unemployed, right?

I'm guessing OP was employed and did not have a suit filed at the time they submitted their FID paperwork. Remember how long some towns take to process FID's/permits?

im UNEMPLOYED and had to write that down on my application. even tho my PD are tough on permits, i still managed to get my 6 PP. I think the empoyee is just being vindictive and thinks u may go back and pull a Columbine on them. i guess they're not giving you the benefit of the doubt. id lawyer up ans SUE! F**k 'em!

Did he give a reason or just say you shouldnt own one.

A. You definitely should have a lawyer.

B. Depending on what he said and esp in a malicious termination case, there could be grounds for a slander suit.

Go for the balls. I have heard of employers saying no because no one should own one in their opinion.

Did he give a reason or just say you shouldnt own one.

A. You definitely should have a lawyer.

B. Depending on what he said and esp in a malicious termination case, there could be grounds for a slander suit.

Go for the balls. I have heard of employers saying no because no one should own one in their opinion.

This.... It's attorney time, I'm assuming you already HAVE an Attorney for your Wrongful Termination suit, I would get him/her involved in this as it seems like another downcheck against the employer.

Why the heck is the PD even asking the employer (or ex-employer in this case) if this person should be given a pistol permit, in the first place??? This should have absolutely nothing to do with an employer and to me seems like a violation of privacy, on behalf of the PD. Lawyer up!!!

Why the heck is the PD even asking the employer (or ex-employer in this case) if this person should be given a pistol permit, in the first place??? This should have absolutely nothing to do with an employer and to me seems like a violation of privacy, on behalf of the PD. Lawyer up!!!

They do it under the guise of character investigation. You know, that whole section in the FPID statute that says you have to be of "good character". It's bullsh!t, but that's their rationale.

I hate this state.

They do it under the guise of character investigation. You know, that whole section in the FPID statute that says you have to be of "good character". It's bullsh!t, but that's their rationale.

I hate this state.

It's a Love/Hate relationship with NJ... There's a lot to love about this state (depending on where you live in NJ), but its the BS like this that I hate.

Why is it ridiculous that they notified the employer? It seems standard procedure with NJ's permit process, is it not? Just about everyone I know had a letter sent to their employer when applying.

Why should your employer know? There's absolutely no reason. My previous employer didn't receive a letter.

Why should your employer know? There's absolutely no reason. My previous employer didn't receive a letter.

I'm sorry, did you mistake my question for me trying to justify the letter being sent?

What I'm saying is, why is this a surprise to anyone?

This has probably happened many times, we just know about this instance thanks to the internet.

Best of luck to the OP in court, this kind of crap should not be tolerated.

Why is it ridiculous that they notified the employer? It seems standard procedure with NJ's permit process, is it not? Just about everyone I know had a letter sent to their employer when applying.

MIne never told me they got one.

i am fortunate where mine is very gun friendly as my bossy (one of the owners) his brothers and the Pres. all want to go shooting with me.

Thanks all...I have contacted a lawyer recommended by NJ2A and put him in touch with my lawyer who is involved with the wrongful termination issue. My husband is having kittens with this. He was born in 1939 in Berlin Germany and gets all upset when he/I have to confront goverment bullies. Just filling out any goverment paperwork gives him the shakes.

The employment lawyer couldn't believe that she got a lawyer to send the letter to the Detective.

THANKS AGAIN

I'm sorry, did you mistake my question for me trying to justify the letter being sent?

What I'm saying is, why is this a surprise to anyone?

This has probably happened many times, we just know about this instance thanks to the internet.

Best of luck to the OP in court, this kind of crap should not be tolerated.

He didn't mistake your question. Employment references are not mandatory by the applicant, and thus not required to obtain an FPID. It is not grounds for denial and the statue is clear on what is allowed procedure for initial applicants. If your unemployed then why would you be allowed to get away with not having a reference from an employer? We have been through this discussion many times, people have had denials overturned due to employment issues, and they have fought PD's who require it and won with out having to suffice to an employment reference. It's not a surprise to anyone that this happens because it is not allowed, hence all the recommendations to the nj2a and lawyer recommendations. If this was standard practice then every one would say too bad your SOL.

You may want to notify your friends that there PD's are breaking the law and that Employment references blatantly violate the applicant statutes. You may also want to contact the NJSPFD if your PD's will not process your application due to refusal of employment references.

Another obvious question comes to mind, if your employer thinks you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun based on moral/character grounds then why did they a) hire you and b) keep you around. If your employed then chances are your boss aint keeping you around because he thinks your an immoral bastard that cant be trusted. The only conclusion that comes to mind for a negative reference from an employer becomes self motivation.

Another obvious question comes to mind, if your employer thinks you shouldn't be allowed to own a gun based on moral/character grounds then why did they a) hire you and b) keep you around.

I have hired and kept employed a number a people I'd rather didn't own guns. One of them eventually went too nutty and we had to fire him, but he was a good compiler programmer. (He's now in NYS prison for kidnapping and raping a woman, so it's probably a good thing he didn't have a gun).

But, my preference about whether or not my nutty programmers own guns doesn't impact their right to do so...