Does anybody watch this show? I watch it all the time just to see what kind of nonsense these idiots get themselves into. How is this not considered piracy? I wanna know what's stopping the whalers from taking more action against them. I can understand that they don't like what the whalers are doing but what right do they have attacking these people? This weeks episode looks like the sea shepard crew is firing flares at the factory ship and set it on fire. It seems to me that the whalers have every right to defend themselves but don't take much action other than spraying them with water cannons. And the sea shepard using prop fowling lines to disable the ships. That's terrorism if you ask me.

• Like 2

Does anybody watch this show? I watch it all the time just to see what kind of nonsense these idiots get themselves into. How is this not considered piracy? I wanna know what's stopping the whalers from taking more action against them. I can understand that they don't like what the whalers are doing but what right do they have attacking these people? This weeks episode looks like the sea shepard crew is firing flares at the factory ship and set it on fire. It seems to me that the whalers have every right to defend themselves but don't take much action other than spraying them with water cannons. And the sea shepard using prop fowling lines to disable the ships. That's terrorism if you ask me.

I would have to agree but I've noticed that when it comes to whales,which since the larger ban most species have come back,baby seals,which grow into large seals and decimate fish stocks,and dolphins...ok I have a soft spot for dolphins since swimming with a wild pod in my youth, All reasoning go out the window and people become de facto PETA nuts.Even resorting to violence and idiocy.

PS:Whale steaks on the grill with some mustard/dill sauce is very tasty.

I don't agree with the over-harvesting of anything for the sake of vanity (I would be hard-pressed to believe that the harvesting of whales is an integral part of contemporary Japanese culture, and that's coming from an anthropologist).

However, yes, the actions of the people on Whales Wars borders on eco-terrorism, which has been proven to be as severe as any other type of terrorism. So, does this mean that Discovery Channel, and, in turn, Discovery Communications Inc. support terrorism? I mean, seriously, it's not some joke, as it definitely bothers me at the personal level.

whaling is actualy banned world wide from what i understand, the japanese have the ability to study whales and use it to harvest whales andd sell the meat which i understand they are not suppose to.

they also harvest dolphins at a harbor in japan their is also another group exposing this part of their culture also..

these jerks are a sight to watch, the japanese fisherman play them pretty good. I cant believe none of them have died yet..it is only a matter of time before this happens..they do some pretty stupid ****..

I don't agree with the over-harvesting of anything for the sake of vanity (I would be hard-pressed to believe that the harvesting of whales is an integral part of contemporary Japanese culture, and that's coming from an anthropologist).

However, yes, the actions of the people on Whales Wars borders on eco-terrorism, which has been proven to be as severe as any other type of terrorism. So, does this mean that Discovery Channel, and, in turn, Discovery Communications Inc. support terrorism? I mean, seriously, it's not some joke, as it definitely bothers me at the personal level.

I believe that the Japanese actually use the majority of the meat in their school cafeterias and sell the balance to some other countries who still value the whale but got out of whaling years ago. But as I understand it the primary species that they hunt ie:Minke. has made a remarkable comeback and can indeed support some limited hunting. True?

whaling is actualy banned world wide from what i understand, the japanese have the ability to study whales and use it to harvest whales andd sell the meat which i understand they are not suppose to.

they also harvest dolphins at a harbor in japan their is also another group exposing this part of their culture also..

these jerks are a sight to watch, the japanese fisherman play them pretty good. I cant believe none of them have died yet..it is only a matter of time before this happens..they do some pretty stupid ****..

Yeah whaling is illegal world wide, they get away with it by attesting it is for research. Although what they are researching and what data they collect for what ever purpose is never published... People do research and studies on marine animals all the time with out killing the animals in question or harvesting them for profits, the bigger question is not how "whale wars" is allowed to intervene, but rather how the Japanese are allowed to do this in the first place.

I would think that they would be allowed because they are their own country and nobody can really tell them what not to do as far as I know. And all of these other countries signed a treaty that says they will stop whaling. Japan didn't. That's just my 2 cents.

but rather how the Japanese are allowed to do this in the first place.

I do not know, but it makes for some very good entertainment watching the arctic mchales navy chase them around.. :sarcastichand:

I believe they just do it with permission from the Japanese government. No one in the scientific community has approved this as actual research... Which is exactly why Whale wars was created... These aren't tree huggers trying to make a difference. Some of these people have extensive backgrounds in science and research and just cant allow something so wrong to happen.. I mean if some company was dumping crap in your town with permission under false pretenses would you allow it? I've seen research vessels before, a whaling boat is nothing more then a processing plant.

I would think that they would be allowed because they are their own country and nobody can really tell them what not to do as far as I know. And all of these other countries signed a treaty that says they will stop whaling. Japan didn't. That's just my 2 cents.

Well they do it, yes, no one seems to care but "activists". But to put it into perspective, we put political pressure on many countries for many different things, like emissions and such. And don't forget, they are not in JAPAN!! they are off the coast of Antarctica, that is not their water to just do as they please. IMHO they can whale all they want off their shores, but to go into waters they don't own and just do as they please is unacceptable.

Captain Watson is a coward, pirate and terrorist. He won't give his own orders, but rather leaves decisions to his subordinates, so if something goes wrong or people get hurt/killed it won't be under his orders.

If you feel strongly enough about a cause my all means go do it, but do it from the front! Take the same risks as your crew instead of just staying in your cabin or bridge ya stinking coward!!

I believe they just do it with permission from the Japanese government. No one in the scientific community has approved this as actual research... Which is exactly why Whale wars was created... These aren't tree huggers trying to make a difference. Some of these people have extensive backgrounds in science and research and just cant allow something so wrong to happen.. I mean if some company was dumping crap in your town with permission under false pretenses would you allow it? I've seen research vessels before, a whaling boat is nothing more then a processing plant.

Just because you disagree with it and even if it is illegal, you don't get to take the law into your own hands. If they are breaking the law, call a cop.

"I mean if some company was dumping crap in your town with permission under false pretenses would you allow it?" I would notify the proper authorities. I don’t start throwing fire bombs at the building.

Just because you disagree with it and even if it is illegal, you don't get to take the law into your own hands. If they are breaking the law, call a cop.

"I mean if some company was dumping crap in your town with permission under false pretenses would you allow it?" I would notify the proper authorities. I don’t start throwing fire bombs at the building.

But the proper authorities don't care...lol. The point of the argument is not to call the people who a) dont care or B) see nothing wrong with it.

People only seem to realize there is a problem after the fact, when the damage is done. Why do you think we're dealing with toxic land fills today? Back then there was little known about what they were polluting and how the environment is directly impacted. Today things still go overlooked, and people can only show the problem by trying to put a stop to it.

Luckily in this country we take things like this very seriously, calling the proper authorities MAY actually get you somewhere.. But this is an international issue where voices clearly fall upon deaf ears. There's a reason they have people on that ship from all over the world.

I do agree, your first move should not be to violate laws trying to justify your position, but when your continually ignored there aren't many other options.

#1 the Japanese are signatories of the IWC (International Whaling Convention) There is NOTHING requiring them to do so. They could resign from the IWC tomorrow and resume unlimited whaling and there is NOTHING stopping them. There are no enforceable regulations when it comes to whaling. The Minke Whales that the Japanese target for the vast majority of their harvest are the most prolific, and are in fact a pretty sustainable species.

So, let's recap. the Japanese are engaged in a Lawful activity, and while they may not operate in the SPIRIT of the law they are certainly operating within the letter of it...a law that they in fact are following by CHOICE not by coercion. The Activities of the Sea Shepherds IMHO do in fact fall under the auspices of Piracy. they are using force, in at least several cases ARMED Force (Anyone remember the arrows???) against people engaged in Lawful Maritime Activities..it is the textbook definition of piracy. Let's not forget the AMERICAN Fishermen that the Sea Shepherds target as well..they just dont show THAT part on Television.

I've said it before and i'll say it again..the ONLY reason i watch that show is the fervent desire to see one, or all prefferably of the Sea Shepherd vessels go down in a swirl of unwashed body oil and bong water. While i am by no means a Professional Mariner, i have never, EVER seen such incompetence on the water, ESPECIALLY when the people running those Ships are supposed AO/AT Captains.

But the proper authorities don't care...lol. The point of the argument is not to call the people who a) dont care or B) see nothing wrong with it.

I do agree, your first move should not be to violate laws trying to justify your position, but when your continually ignored there aren't many other options.

So, are you going to start buying guns illegally in NJ? In many areas in NJ the government is not complying with (or actively flouting) the 30 days to process permits/FID statute as well as other laws we have on our books.

#1 the Japanese are signatories of the IWC (International Whaling Convention) There is NOTHING requiring them to do so. They could resign from the IWC tomorrow and resume unlimited whaling and there is NOTHING stopping them. There are no enforceable regulations when it comes to whaling. The Minke Whales that the Japanese target for the vast majority of their harvest are the most prolific, and are in fact a pretty sustainable species.

So, let's recap. the Japanese are engaged in a Lawful activity, and while they may not operate in the SPIRIT of the law they are certainly operating within the letter of it...a law that they in fact are following by CHOICE not by coercion. The Activities of the Sea Shepherds IMHO do in fact fall under the auspices of Piracy. they are using force, in at least several cases ARMED Force (Anyone remember the arrows???) against people engaged in Lawful Maritime Activities..it is the textbook definition of piracy. Let's not forget the AMERICAN Fishermen that the Sea Shepherds target as well..they just dont show THAT part on Television.

I've said it before and i'll say it again..the ONLY reason i watch that show is the fervent desire to see one, or all prefferably of the Sea Shepherd vessels go down in a swirl of unwashed body oil and bong water. While i am by no means a Professional Mariner, i have never, EVER seen such incompetence on the water, ESPECIALLY when the people running those Ships are supposed AO/AT Captains.

They are not allowed to legally whale for commercial purposes, research only.. from what i understand. Which is what they signed in concern to the IWC.

So, are you going to start buying guns illegally in NJ? In many areas in NJ the government is not complying with (or actively flouting) the 30 days to process permits/FID statute as well as other laws we have on our books.

If your town decides to never issue FPId's or permits what other choice would you have?

I was really sad when the Ady Gil was let to sink though. That carbon fiber, record holding beauty.... What a f*cking waste!!!

I dont think there was much they could do about it. It's not like they were anywhere close that they could tow it. It was a pretty cool boat though.

I blame the captian of the ady gil for its demise, he put it in harms way..

playing with these ships is dangerous buisness, these are not small runabouts that can manouver easily.

It takes a long time to stop a ship so if something is dead in the water and in its way that is not good sitution..

I am impressed on the speed and ajility these large fishing vessels do have but should not be taken for granted.. especialy if you have been fouling the running gear to said ship.

the sea shepards are flying the jolly rodger a symbol of piracy for 5 hundred years, imo the japaneese have every right to defend there fleet from attack, by what ever means necessary. if it was the U.S. doing the whaleing the pirates would already be on the bottom or in prison. when you start taking food out of peoples mouths it becomes very personal.

I think that there is going to be a fatality on one of those ships, and that will be the end of the show. I loved it when the captain was pissed at the helicopter pilot for not refueling and going back up after flying like 16 hours? He is an idiot! Pretty funny to watch the incompetence of those pirates though. I bet if Johnny Depp were there, he would have stopped them whaling the first week rofl.gif

the sea shepards are flying the jolly rodger a symbol of piracy for 5 hundred years, imo the japaneese have every right to defend there fleet from attack, by what ever means necessary. if it was the U.S. doing the whaleing the pirates would already be on the bottom or in prison. when you start taking food out of peoples mouths it becomes very personal.

Dont forget, it is for research... :icon_rolleyes: