Yellowshaker

New Ar-15

Hello everyone. I have been on the forums for a while reading and trying to learn from those of you in this for a while. A while back I was asking about what Ar-15 to go with, and after looking at quite a few, I realized that I was going to buy the one I felt the most comfortable with, so here is what I went with. I have yet to go to the rrange with it, but I am looking to install a few things on it. It has BUIS installed form the manufacturer, and I am wondering what you guys would do as far as adding a scope. Any pictures of what you have and some advice would be much appreciated. I am not planning to shoot more than 200 yards most of the time, but would like the ability to do so if I ever have the chance. Also, how do you guys feel about a red dot with a magnifier added to it? One other thing I would like to add is a sling. Any ideas on that?

Thanks again everyone.

IMG_20110826_191407.jpg

IMG_20110826_191348.jpg

Umm, so I take it you see the AR as a bad choice. Well, I know the Ak is proven, and I would like to get one eventually, but this will have to do for the time being. Anyway, I purchased this at Casso's.

Any advice on my questions?

I knew you got it there! It was the one I was boughts to buy! The only thing I'd change is the rear sight mount. Get a standard rear sight and get a red dot that will co-witness.

Good choice in an AR, it'll do what it was too.

Umm, so I take it you see the AR as a bad choice. Well, I know the Ak is proven, and I would like to get one eventually, but this will have to do for the time being. Anyway, I purchased this at Casso's.

Any advice on my questions?

dont listen to him. hes busting balls yet again.

co-witness is looking through your optical sight and still being able to see your irons through it. IE, youre using a red dot, and it breaks or battery dies. you flip up your sights without removing the red dot, and can still shoot, being able to look through the rear sight, through the optic, and then to the front sight.

Co-witness means you can see the iron sites while looking through the glass of the optics site. People find this beneficial because if your batteries die during an "important" time, you can still use the iron sites to get on target without removing the optics site. It's normally a good thing anyway because you'll want to maintain a good cheek weld for either, and that's hard to do without co-witnessing. Get yourself a GOOD optics site, and you won't have to worry about the batteries dying.

Thank you guys. I am lookign forward to getting to the range with this thing. I do need some help though.

I am planning to mount a scope to the carry handfle and would like to add an adjustable cheek rest to the stock. Here is the problem. It came with the RRA A2 stock. (bottom one in the link.) http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=392

Do you know if this rest will work? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=643824

Does anyone have a better suggestion for adjustable cheek rests on this stock?

Thank you guys. I am lookign forward to getting to the range with this thing. I do need some help though.

I am planning to mount a scope to the carry handfle and would like to add an adjustable cheek rest to the stock. Here is the problem. It came with the RRA A2 stock. (bottom one in the link.) http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=392

Do you know if this rest will work? http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=643824

Does anyone have a better suggestion for adjustable cheek rests on this stock?

I would suggest getting rid of the carry handle, and mounting directly to the upper receiver. This will negate the need for a cheek riser, and keep a lower profile for the overall rifle between no carry handle and no cheek riser.

Ok, so my question then is, if I lose the carry handle and mount the scope, does this now mean the iron sites are uselss with the scope in place?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, it depends on the mount you use for the scope-- if you opt to use a mount. If you get a Quick Detach (QD), like LaRue, AD, Bobro, etc, then your iron sights won't be completely useless-- as you can still detach the scope if need be (without tools) and use them.

Well when removing the carry handle, you will replace it with something along the lines of BUIS (back up iron sights). This will allow you to mount optics directly to the receiver while still maintaining iron sights. I personally think it will give you an advantage because not only do you keep the iron sights, and optics.....but you will also maintain a lower profile by not having optics ON TOP of the carry handle, and no cheek riser.

As far as being able to see the iron sights through an actual scope, I'm not sure how that will work. I don't think it would work due to parallax, because the scope will not be focused on the front sight which is so close. I'll let someone else explain an option....but it may come down to mounting flip up sights to stay out of the way of the scope, and then actually REMOVING the scope if it fails and you need to use irons in a pinch.

I see what you guys mean. This AR does have flip up front sight and the rear is part of the carry handle. The scope I was looking at is made for this setup. It has a hollow mount so you can see through for the stock iron sights. I suppose it comes down to personal preference on what to do here?

It does come down to personal preference....although the more useful thing to do would be what bbk suggested......and get yourself a quick detach mount so you can utilize the irons as we suggested. That's MY opinion, take it for what it's worth. Regardless, post pics of whatever you end up doing!

OK, one more question and I won't bother you guys for a while. I really like this stock. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22731/avs%7CManufacturer_1=MAGPUL/Product/AR_15_M16_AR_STYLE__308_GENERATION_II_PRECISION_RIFLE_STOCK__PRS_

The description says it will fit A1 or A2 buffer tubes WITHOUT A2 space. Do I have a spacer??? I took the stock off and it looks like the tube is all one piece???

OK, one more question and I won't bother you guys for a while. I really like this stock. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22731/avs%7CManufacturer_1=MAGPUL/Product/AR_15_M16_AR_STYLE__308_GENERATION_II_PRECISION_RIFLE_STOCK__PRS_

The description says it will fit A1 or A2 buffer tubes WITHOUT A2 space. Do I have a spacer??? I took the stock off and it looks like the tube is all one piece???

That stock is pretty heavy, I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan to do a lot of bench rest or prone shooting. It's bulky, heavy, and fairly expensive. You're looking about almost 2 pounds of weight for just having the ability to adjust 1" comb and length of pull.....not that great of a trade off unless you'll be doing bench rest or prone shooting... It's also $250.

Oh, and don't feel bad about asking questions...that's what the forum is for.

I am not really too concerned with the added weight. From the reviews I've read, everyone seems to really like this stock on the AR. I am just not sure it will fit my rifle.

I just sold a lower with that stock on it. It's the only way to go if you shoot a scoped rifle!

OK, one more question and I won't bother you guys for a while. I really like this stock. http://www.brownells...FLE_STOCK__PRS_

i wouldnt get that for anything carbine length. full size, long barrel target shooting, yeah.

Yellowshaker, This is your project, so get what you want. As far as my own experience, the PRS stock is great, for a heavy target rifle that you shoot from a bench or prone. Mine weighed in at about 13 pounds, no fun to shoot that off hand. Putting it on a carbine not only adds weight but, changes the balance. Here's my 20" heavy barreled rifle:

DSC_0070.jpg

Here's my M4 type, light, short, and a whole lotta fun to shoot:

acog001.jpg

As far as the Valhalla scope goes, do yourself a favor and research them a little. Welcome to the wonderful world of AR's.

Also, don't waste your time with those lousy ak's :p

Yellowshaker, This is your project, so get what you want. As far as my own experience, the PRS stock is great, for a heavy target rifle that you shoot from a bench or prone. Mine weighed in at about 13 pounds, no fun to shoot that off hand. Putting it on a carbine not only adds weight but, changes the balance. Here's my 20" heavy barreled rifle:

DSC_0070.jpg

Here's my M4 type, light, short, and a whole lotta fun to shoot:

acog001.jpg

As far as the Valhalla scope goes, do yourself a favor and research them a little. Welcome to the wonderful world of AR's.

Also, don't waste your time with those lousy ak's :p

Thanks man. I know we all have our own preference. I am just trying to get as much info as I can without throwing money away in the process. I like your setup alot. Nice looking guns! What scope do you have on the M4? I was trying to research that scope I put the link up to, but not much info to be found. I know it is not high end but then, I don't have a grand to spend right now....

Thanks man. I know we all have our own preference. I am just trying to get as much info as I can without throwing money away in the process. I like your setup alot. Nice looking guns! What scope do you have on the M4? I was trying to research that scope I put the link up to, but not much info to be found. I know it is not high end but then, I don't have a grand to spend right now....

That's actually one of the problems I have with valhalla, not much info. From what i have read it seems that the scopes are NcStar scopes packaged up with cheap red dot sights and sold by valhalla. If you want a 3-9 scope on your AR find a decent quality standard scope and forget about an ACOG look a like. The one on my M4 is an ACOG TA31DOC. But, I have a serious illness when it comes to my gear. :icon_mrgreen:

As you said, welcome to the wonderful world of Ar's right? Here are my thoughts. This is a short barrel gun. It is not really meant for loing range shooting, so much. I maybe I am wasting money even putting a scope on this thing. Maybe a red dot with a magnifier would make more sense? Man...I don't know....

As you said, welcome to the wonderful world of Ar's right? Here are my thoughts. This is a short barrel gun. It is not really meant for loing range shooting, so much. I maybe I am wasting money even putting a scope on this thing. Maybe a red dot with a magnifier would make more sense? Man...I don't know....

like this?

DSC_0066.jpg

It's the same gun, i sold the Aimpoint and magnifier to buy the ACOG. The combo worked well enough, I just didn't care for the magnifier hanging off to the side when shooting at 1x. But, that was just my preference. Some people love the combo. (Besides, I always wanted an ACOG. And eventually, talked myself into it).