Old Glock guy

G&S Hunters Range in Paterson

I had heard that the range in Paterson was closed, but I understand they are now open under new management. When I called I was told (to the best of my recollection) that there was a $25 annual registration fee, and that range time is $15 an hour if you use their ammo and $20 an hour if you use your own. Is anyone familiar with this place? It's not too far from me, so I'm wondering if it's a nice place to shoot.

its right on main st. go in the basement to shoot. its nice nobody bothers you there. I was there when they first switched to gs hunters. but marcos was still there running it. not sure if he still is there. its a nice alternative to shoot local. Much better than bullet hole, not crowded, better attitude. If you are close to it i would suggest there instead of cr for some pistol shooting. I dont think rifles are allowed.

That's expensive as heck. $20/hour to shoot your own ammo? Pass.

It depends. If you are a once a year shooter, doesnt make a difference, or if you live close and factor in gas. If you are an active shooter, you are going to belong to a private range like Old Bridge, Cherry Ridge, or Central Jersey, or at least have a membership to ft dix.

Is this the same as the old Paterson Rod and Gun club off Rte 80?

No, it looks like the old "Paterson Gunsmithing" shop - on Main Street nearer to the center of Paterson. I had a Mauser re-blued by them a loooong time ago.

The "Paterson Rod & Gun Club" was right off 80, as you said. It used to be a new car dealership - the back of the building can actually be seen from Rt 80.

Twenty bucks is pretty steep. I'd much rather drive up to CR and spend the afternoon outside in the fresh air, LOL :icon_e_wink:

Just discovered this thread!

G&S is where I shoot every weekend. Marcos is the owner. Day-to-day operations are ran by George. He's a great guy and a very competent gunsmith. The place is open all week long except Mondays. Regular hours are 11-6, except Thursdays 11-7. Handgun ammo only, but pistol-caliber carbines and .22LR and air rifles are welcome.

The place "ain't no Taj Mahal", as one of Stephen King's characters said, but it's tidy and clean. There are just 7 lanes. Visitors are supposed to put away their targets and sweep their brass into bins in the corners, and the absolute majority does. The lighting is okay although could be better. However, the ventilation is excellent. Ceiling are low, and now and them get dinged (I hear that the worst shooters are cops). The atmosphere is great -- something I'd call "your neighborhood shooting range". I haven't run into a patrons who wouldn't be friendly and courteous. There is no rowdiness, messiness, or chips on the shoulder.

Edit: typos.

Just discovered this thread!

G&S is where I shoot every weekend. Marcos is the owner. Day-to-day operations are ran by George. He's a great guy and a very competent gunsmith. The place is open all week long except Mondays. Regular hours are 11-6, except Thursdays 11-7. Handgun ammo only, but pistol-caliber carbines and .22LR and air rifles are welcome.

The place "ain't no Taj Mahal", as one of Stephen King's characters said, but it's tidy and clean. There are just 7 lanes. Visitors are supposed to put away their targets and sweep their brass into bins in the corners, and the absolute majority does. The lighting is okay although could be better. However, the ventilation is excellent. Ceiling are low, and now and them get dinged (I hear that the worst shooters are cops). The atmosphere is great -- something I'd "your neighborhood shooting range". I haven't ran into a patrons who wouldn't be friendly and courteous. There is no rowdiness, messiness, or chips on the shoulder.

25 yards? Does it usually get packed?

I may check this place out.

Just wanted to say I checked this place out yesterday; and loved it!!!

What did you like about it over other ranges? Do you have to setup your own target stands or are they electronic? Usually go to the BH when I don't want to take the drive to CR.

Do they allow drawing from holster and quick double shots?

What did you like about it over other ranges? Do you have to setup your own target stands or are they electronic? Usually go to the BH when I don't want to take the drive to CR.

Do they allow drawing from holster and quick double shots?

I was there on a Saturday afternoon and there was only one other port being used. They have rope and pulley system for targets just clip on paper. BH is my usual place as well but now I have a back-up range.

I didn't see anyone wearing a holster but I don't see that being a problem. I did a few double taps no problem, I also did some rapid fire. My friend dumped his mag rather quickly and a loud speaker said no rapid fire. So guess depends if anyone is watching/listening to the range.

I keep wanting to get over to there. Might hit this place up when I get back from my business trip. Its actually pretty close to my job too(too bad I'd have to drive home then drive BACK to get to the range). How is parking?

Additionally, I just read this on their site:

http://gshunters.com/shooting%20range/shooting%20range.htm

Membership fee of $25/year isn't too bad. But it says no lead projectiles?

I was there on a Saturday parking was pretty good, but it is Main Street in Paterson. You have to park on the street so during the week it might be bad but IDK. Whether you have to double back home to pick up your stuff is your call.

25 dollars yearly membership and $20 per hour if you use your own ammo, $15 per hour if you use their ammo.

Whether you have to double back home to pick up your stuff is your call.

State law says otherwise.....

Even if it was legal, I wouldn't want to leave my pistols in my car in Paterson.