Sign in to follow this  
PDM

Hey Loretta Weinberg -- NY Post Debunks .50 cal hysteria

Loretta Weinberg, sponsor of an unsuccessful (so far) law that would ban most .50 cal rifles in NJ, ought to read today's NY post. In yesterday's Postthe paper reported the absurd and sensationalist statement by Ray Kelly that the NYPD has the capability of shooting down aircraft. Stinger missles in the NYPD inventory? Nope. Inside sources reported that Kelly was referring to a .50 cal barrett that the NYPD acquired. In today's paper, the Post elaborates on why this is absurd: Weapons experts say the .50-caliber rounds are very powerful, but were never intended as an anti-aircraft weapon (excerpt below). Our dear State Senator Loretta made the completely unsupported claim that a .50 cal rifle could be used by terrorists to shoot dow a passenger jet, and reportedly stormed out of a hearing when someone had the audacity to question her on that. Maybe someone ought to send her a copy of the Post article.

“The rounds are larger than the size of your thumb, and moving at 2,800 feet per second, the kinetic energy behind it is unbelievable,” said Wil Willis, a former Army Ranger who hosts the upcoming Military Channel show “Triggers.”

“But I think it would be nearly impossible to shoot down an aircraft with it.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/ray_flight_of_fancy_eWgKINaGmp7aOwc00POxiI#ixzz1ZBj5o7hl

“The rounds are larger than the size of your thumb, and moving at 2,800 feet per second, the kinetic energy behind it is unbelievable,” said Wil Willis, a former Army Ranger who hosts the upcoming Military Channel show “Triggers.”

I own and shoot a 50 BMG, and reload for it too. The bullets are not larger than your thumb, or at least mine.

In the hands of a police officer, a .50cal cannot shoot down an aircraft.

However, in the public hands, it is a horrible WMD capable of taking down jumbo jets with ease.

Let's see how the NYPost feels about the public owning .50cal's - I doubt their coverage would be anywhere near as factual and level headed as this piece was.

In the hands of a police officer, a .50cal cannot shoot down an aircraft.

However, in the public hands, it is a horrible WMD capable of taking down jumbo jets with ease.

Let's see how the NYPost feels about the public owning .50cal's - I doubt their coverage would be anywhere near as factual and level headed as this piece was.

But of course! I mean, all of its ammo is NAPHSBK (nuclear armor piercing heat seeking baby killing), so how could anyone with a conscience own that?! :sarcastichand:

“But I think it would be nearly impossible to shoot down an aircraft with it.”

I really hope they took this guys comment out of text. Impossible to shoot down an aircraft with a .50 cal?

What was the armament of a P51? 6 50 cals. I can't even begin to wonder how many aircraft have been downed over the decades by M2s.

Yes, it's unlikely that a M82 could successfully take down a airliner but I'm willing to bet a cessna or a commercial helicopter wouldn't last long.

I really hope they took this guys comment out of text. Impossible to shoot down an aircraft with a .50 cal?

What was the armament of a P51? 6 50 cals. I can't even begin to wonder how many aircraft have been downed over the decades by M2s.

Yeah, 6 full auto M2 spraying .50 cal rounds took down planes. But we're not talking about 6 .50cal machine guns firing continuously. We're talking about a bolt action or maybe semi auto rifle.

This is why I am collecting all the 50 Caliber firearms that I can afford. The NJ legislators will jump on this and ban all 50 calibers. Just wait and see.

Better get some 50 caliber and larger muskets too, then. Apparently a Brown Bess musket from 1780's is now a destructive device and can shoot down airplanes.

Yeah, 6 full auto M2 spraying .50 cal rounds took down planes. But we're not talking about 6 .50cal machine guns firing continuously. We're talking about a bolt action or maybe semi auto rifle.

exactly

My point exactly. The quoted comment from the expert does not mention a weapon, just a bullet.

Certain weapon systems that fire a 50 cal bullet absolutely can take down a plane, but like I said the Barrett is an unlikely candidate to shoot down a commercial plane.

You could deff take down a commercial airliner with a .50 bmg. It would just be a hard shot hitting the pilot in the head.

Yea but a .223 can do that.

*goes to sleep for the night

*wakes up tomorrow morning

Tomorrow's Headline: "Assault Weapons, Long Time Favorites of Criminals can be used by Terrorists to Shoot Down Airliners!" :blink:

(Is it sad I can actually picture that news article being actually written)