Pizza Bob

Early Christmas Present

Did a PA gun store tour with Keith (njpilot) on Tuesday. Thought I'd show him what it's like to live in a free state. First stop was Surplus City in Feasterville. Just looking around when I noticed a gun behind the counter with a really interesting looking stock. I looked closer and noticed it also had a spiral faceted high polish blue barrel. Asked to see it, held it, handed it back. Very interesting.

Of course I got home and couldn't stop thinking about it. It was a CZ, and it was in .223 Rem. Thtat's all I knew about it. Went on CZ's website and couldn't find it. I surmised that it must be some kind of model 527 variation (a micro-mauser action), but nothing on the site looked remotely like it.

Went back to the store on Wednesday to look at it more closely. Jewelled bolt, single-set trigger, medium/heavy barrel profile. Just a really neat gun. It was marked "527 Royal". Got home and Googled the name. Most of what popped up was from other gun forums. This is a really unique piece, so I went back on Thursday and bought it.

Seems they showed it at the 2005 SHOT Show and brought in 100 pieces in 2006 for one distributor. They all sold. In 2010 a distributor that had ordered them a long time before (at the SHOT Show maybe?) got another 100 pieces. They have all been sold to retailers, with one retailer buying 30 of the hundred. A CZ USA employee says that they doubt there will be anymore. However, I think a new shipment must have arrived recently. I mounted a scope on mine today, and while digging around in the box came upon the test target. It is dated 08/2011.

These are not catalogged and I have no idea how many were in the most recent shipment. I just knew I had to have something this neat and unique looking.

Here's a picture of mine with the scope mounted (Leupold M8 12X)

2hr3jf4.jpg

Came with CZ rings (receiver is dovetailed) and the barrel is a 1:9 twist, which means it should work well with the ammo I have stockpiled for my AR's. I figure up to 69 grs. American Walnut stock and a 5 rd detachable box magazine. A very interesting little (21.25" barrel) gun. Not everyone's taste, but I like oddball/rare things and this fills the bill. From the little that was written about them, they are supposed to be very accurate shooters, too. Hope to get to the range next week.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Any more lying around at the shop?

No more currently. The owner did say he was going to try and get another one. Have no idea: A) How sincere he was; or, B) How successful he'd be, since they seem to be bringing these in a hundred at a time and selling the whole lot to one distributor. Good luck - it's a sweet gun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob