NickC

Marine tells it like it is

While i'm not a fan of the "Occupy" crowd i found this guy to be pretty honorable.

I also felt bad for the cops that don't have a choice in how the crowd response is handled.

The entire situation is sad.

While i'm not a fan of the "Occupy" crowd i found this guy to be pretty honorable.

I also felt bad for the cops that don't have a choice in how the crowd response is handled.

The entire situation is sad.

Teargas, mounted units, wood batons, and riot shields. What more do the police need to handle the situation? The second the mob becomes unruly (which will happen), the NYPD will lay the hurt down. The big exception here is if we have an early winter... and nothing ends big outdoor movements like heavy rains, ice, and snowfalls.

Damned commies!

bs. The cops always have a choice. It is a job, not a contract, they can quit at any time. They can also join together and speak up. They took an oath to protect and serve.

"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to stand by and do nothing" or something along those lines. IMO Scaredy-cop is just as bad as Brutal cop.

I often hear that "99% of cops are good, it's only that 1%" well then, I suppose the cops have quite a bit in common with the protestors then? And since it's 99% to 1%, the bad cops should have been weeded out a long time ago.

• Like 2

This guy is (unfortunatly) tainted goods. First the cammy uniform isnt supposed to worn in public not to mention he's technically out of uniform in its condition. Also the facial hair is a no-go unless he's going special ops. Cops should know better and get him help.

This guy is (unfortunatly) tainted goods. First the cammy uniform isnt supposed to worn in public not to mention he's technically out of uniform in its condition. Also the facial hair is a no-go unless he's going special ops. Cops should know better and get him help.

ANY interaction with this idiot other than what they did..ie Rolling eyes and ignoring him, would have been exactly what he wanted...it pissed him off FAR more to just stand there and laugh at him.

• Like 1

A former Marine wouldn't have to worry about any of that though. 10 years at war is longer than a lot of enlistments.

It's fun to take the armchair general moral high ground and say the cops all have a choice. They certainly do have the option of refusing to follow orders, but:

1. This isn't Nazi Germany, no one is being systematically murdered. The orders the cops are given are the same one's that have been around for 100 years. People are breaking the law, so police are needed to enforce the law. This isn't a sinister icy corporation silencing free speech, these people don't know what their message is and are breaking the law trying to make this convoluted message heard. The protester's, however righteous (they think) their cause is, are still breaking the law and affecting other citizens who may even agree with their cause but think they're going about it in the wrong matter.

2. Refusing orders means no job. While you may have won the moral battle, you've lost the war. You are out a job, income, food for the family, and the chance to rise up in the ranks and actually change things.

Moral victory can come at a high cost, and in this case the cost simply isn't worth it.

• Like 2

ANY interaction with this idiot other than what they did..ie Rolling eyes and ignoring him, would have been exactly what he wanted...it pissed him off FAR more to just stand there and laugh at him.

Wow, you missed his point completely.

It shouldn't be an "us against them" situation.

We all live in the same country for Gods sake.

• Like 1

Enticing a riot is an arrest-able offense. You really think this guy should have been put in cuffs?

Nick, I think the Cops did well in they way they handled it, Like KPDPipes said, it probably pissed him off more that they didn;t pay more attention or escalate it further.

Also there is a way to get your point across, regardless if he was 1000% wrong or 1000% right, the tone and manner that he took to get his point across wasn't done the right way. The way he did this was as Paul said, could be construed as inciting a riot. The problem for the officers are if they allow it to continue it could get bad real fast with the crowd mentality just as if they reacted too soon or with too much force it could go bad just as fast. The thing is, many of the people have been out there for a while, days, weeks or on and off for over a month now, it's got to be rough on both sides right now.

Remember a single person may be highly intelligent and very reasonable, but a crowd no matter what the makeup is stupid and can be irrational at a drop of the hat.

Harry

• Like 1

While people have the right to voice their opinion, that gentleman walked a fine line with inciting a riot. After a few minutes he should have walked-away and be done with it or bring it to the proper venue (like the newspaper, etc....)

If he had a problem with what the police had done, he can ask them for their names and badge numbers and go to the department and then city hall.

A bit of a drama queen, isn't he?

Who's hurting "these" people?

Ha, somehow i don't think you'd actually say that to the Marines face but ok, i'll play...

Let's just say maybe he was tired of seeing cops "tune up" little twink hippies.

Seriously, how is it OK to treat people like this? Whether you agree with their goofy a** protest or not.

Ha, somehow i don't think you'd actually say that to the Marines face but ok, i'll play...

Let's just say maybe he was tired of seeing cops "tune up" little twink hippies.

Seriously, how is it OK to treat people like this? Whether you agree with their goofy a** protest or not.

These people are the real "zombies" of our world... and when they go wild, they will burn, riot, and loot. People in mobs don't act like people. Protests of this size are precarious things, especially since they're being founded on a campaign of ignorance and violence.

Nick, I think the Cops did well in they way they handled it, Like KPDPipes said, it probably pissed him off more that they didn;t pay more attention or escalate it further.

Also there is a way to get your point across, regardless if he was 1000% wrong or 1000% right, the tone and manner that he took to get his point across wasn't done the right way. The way he did this was as Paul said, could be construed as inciting a riot. The problem for the officers are if they allow it to continue it could get bad real fast with the crowd mentality just as if they reacted too soon or with too much force it could go bad just as fast. The thing is, many of the people have been out there for a while, days, weeks or on and off for over a month now, it's got to be rough on both sides right now.

Remember a single person may be highly intelligent and very reasonable, but a crowd no matter what the makeup is stupid and can be irrational at a drop of the hat.

Harry

I totally agree. I give those cops a ton of credit for not over reacting and diffusing a potential situation. I think it sucks for the cops, i think it suck for the protesters that got a beat down. That's why i said the whole thing is just sad.

The fact that he's on Keith Obermann is enough said about him right there. Certifiable.

Haha!

Yeah i think he did a bunch of different news shows.

The Oberman one showed up first on the googles.

What makes you say that?

Seriously, you're ok with letting these idiots stay there indefinitely?

Here's a calmer explanation of this guys actions.

Ah so he can get his point across without all the drama!

~"What makes you say that?"

Dude, maybe you're cool with it but i'm sure as hell not telling a 6ft4 260 pound combat vet that he's a drama queen for getting pissed off at how the cops are treating citizen HE fought for. Just me being cautious i guess.

~"Seriously, you're ok with letting these idiots stay there indefinitely?"

Actually, i don't care what they do. I'm sure most will leave once the weather turns. But i do believe they have the right to do it. Ya know, the amendment that comes before our favorite one.

~"Ah so he can get his point across without all the drama!"

Well, you see drama, I see a guy who's had enough.

• Like 1

~"What makes you say that?"

Dude, maybe you're cool with it but i'm sure as hell not telling a 6ft4 260 pound combat vet that he's a drama queen for getting pissed off at how the cops are treating citizen HE fought for. Just me being cautious i guess.

Spot on there bud. One thing a veteran knows is that he/she fought for our freedom. Tell me I can't use my free speech? I think not.

• Like 1

At first i thought this guy may have been a unstable vet, then i thought he was just hitting the bottle. Now i just think he shamed his uniform by using it as a teflon suit.What do you think would've happened to him if he was in jeans and a t-shirt?

• Like 1

Actually, i don't care what they do. I'm sure most will leave once the weather turns. But i do believe they have the right to do it. Ya know, the amendment that comes before our favorite one.

What if they dont' leave? What then? They're already getting free food.

This is not a first amendment issue. This is a squatting issue. Occupy Wall Street --- get it?

What if they dont' leave? What then? They're already getting free food.

This is not a first amendment issue. This is a squatting issue. Occupy Wall Street --- get it?

That's a real good question man. But kicking their a$$es isn't the answer.

And it absolutely IS a first amendment issue. From what i understand they are not trespassing because the park they are sleeping in allows it. The food is donated too. But rest assure that the numbers will drop once free meals dry up.