nino

Which .50 cal is legal to own in nj?

Just follow the standard NJ rifle rules. Almost anything in bolt-action is OK.

There are alternatives to the very nice and very expensive models above. I have a BOHICA 50BMG AR upper, and I've had nothing but reliable performance and very good accuracy with it. There are a number of companies selling high-quality AR-based uppers.

I heard bohica had bad reviews I found this one http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/

You can find reviews good and bad for any product on the internet. One Bohica V2 blew up, but the conclusion was due to bad reloads. I haven't heard of any other problems, and the rifle was sure very well made.

Safety Harbor also makes a nice rifle.

You can find reviews good and bad for any product on the internet. One Bohica V2 blew up, but the conclusion was due to bad reloads. I haven't heard of any other problems, and the rifle was sure very well made.

Safety Harbor also makes a nice rifle.

where can i get a bohica there website shutdown???

where can i get a bohica there website shutdown???

I just noticed that too. The negative press on the forums may have killed them. It was only three or four people. It's a shame, because the V3 rifle I got is great, but maybe you can't get them anymore. I used to see the company itself selling many on gunbroker (they retailed that way, and that's how I got mine), but they aren't selling any like that anymore. They may well be dead....

If you join the 50 Cal Shooters Association, the magazine is full of ads for various rifles and uppers in all price ranges.

50 Caliber Shooters Association

You can't get a bohica. As far as I can tell, the guy running the shop closed it's doors and left town. Which makes a certain degree of sense given that he was revising the platform due to safety concerns, and neither issuing a recall nor warning previous customers that the upper might be dangerous.

If you are interested in such a thing, you might try the zel custom tactilite uppers. They ahve had issues, but they did preemptive recalls like you would expect a real business to.

I think the problem with BOHICA was not the product, but rather the customer service. Extremely long lead times with poor communication, IIRC. Other issues, but not the gun.

If you are serious about realizing this dream, you have to ask, "Where am I going to use this?" There are not many places in the east that have an adequate (read that: Long enough) range to support the use of a .50 BMG. Even some that are long enough don't allow the use of .50 BMG. Longest range in this state, that I know of, is Cumberland Rifleman @ 600 yards. I don't know if they allow .50 BMG or not. In PA you have a 1000 yard range at the Williamsport 1000 yd Benchrest Club and a 600 yard range at the New Holland R&P Club - both clubs prohibit the use of .50 BMG. I believe that you can use them at Cherry Ridge, but ,correct me if I'm wrong, the max range is 300 yards.

Neat toys and it would be fun to pull the trigger on one, just to say I have, but at $5+ a shot (and reloading requires specialized equipment) and limited use/facilities, the cost/benefit ratio just doesn't cut it for me.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I think the problem with BOHICA was not the product, but rather the customer service. Extremely long lead times with poor communication, IIRC. Other issues, but not the gun.

If you are serious about realizing this dream, you have to ask, "Where am I going to use this?" There are not many places in the east that have an adequate (read that: Long enough) range to support the use of a .50 BMG. Even some that are long enough don't allow the use of .50 BMG. Longest range in this state, that I know of, is Cumberland Rifleman @ 600 yards. I don't know if they allow .50 BMG or not. In PA you have a 1000 yard range at the Williamsport 1000 yd Benchrest Club and a 600 yard range at the New Holland R&P Club - both clubs prohibit the use of .50 BMG. I believe that you can use them at Cherry Ridge, but ,correct me if I'm wrong, the max range is 300 yards.

Neat toys and it would be fun to pull the trigger on one, just to say I have, but at $5+ a shot (and reloading requires specialized equipment) and limited use/facilities, the cost/benefit ratio just doesn't cut it for me.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Reloading is easy, and ends up $3 a shot or so. I probably spent $400 on the reloading equipment. Wideners has great South African surplus ammo, and also the new bullets used (not pulled). The SA ammo is $55/20, or $2.75 per round and you end up with very nice brass, so that's the way to go.

I really don't think there were Bohica safety issues; I only know of one that blew p, and the user was testing hand loads. The pictures included some hints that he was using very hot loads before the boom. I wouldn't be shooting mine if I had concerns, and I am safety conscious.

Ft Dix and (sort of) Cherry Ridge AR the only easy places for me, but I just wanted one, and depending on political climate they might be an early victim of anti-gunners. BTW, with and upper no one knows you have one...

Yea customer service has a lot to do with it. But there's always safety issues and recalls that's the whole game of making your product good. Also I never bought a gun off the Internet how's that work? I only buy ammo. Bc most of the time I just go to gun shops or shows

If you are buying a complete gun, from an out of state vendor (FFL), you would have them ship it to a NJ FFL of your choice. You would pay the NJ FFL's transfer fees, do all the paper work (COE, 4473, NICS), and take possession from the NJ FFL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob