Ray Ray

GP100 vs 686

It's like the difference between driving a Ford station wagon or a Corvette.

No, not even close. These 2 guns are the same size, weight and looks. EXCEPT, the Ruger can be overloaded without damaging the frame. So it's more like the difference between a Hummer or an Abrams in downtown Baghdad.

• Like 1

... it's more like the difference between a Hummer or an Abrams in downtown Baghdad.

And the hummer is the much smoother, more nimble ride :)

If strength is the only thing you care about then buy a S&W 500 which is proofed to 90k PSI and then download it to .38 special specs

Both are nice. I have a gp100 but I will be into the S&W soon enough. I am reallu liking the 625.

Then you will have to try my newest addition. You know my aversion to stainless guns. This is a Model 25-2.

And Yes, of course I owned one of these once before and sold it. :)

pix799317234.jpg

• Like 1

What do you mean by took a dive?

Light primer strikes, so I couldn't complete a few stages.

Sent a picture to my dad, he said "is that a Ruger?" Yup. He says, "finally, you bought a Ruger". He's sooo proud!

Sent a picture to my dad, he said "is that a Ruger?" Yup. He says, "finally, you bought a Ruger". He's sooo proud!

Sorry to hear that. And everyone always told me a relvolver can never fail.

On another note, I took my 686 down to the BH yesterday to try out. 50rds 357, 50rds 38 special, no problems. Wow, what a fun gun to shoot. And those magnum loads are so load, everyone comes to see what your shootin. Handles well and accurate, but really shines at longer distances. I like this wheelgun stuff. Im thinking of getting a snubbie J frame to compliment the 686.

Ray:

Now tell the truth - did you back off the strain screw (in the front of the grip frame) to get a lighter trigger????

Ray:

Now tell the truth - did you back off the strain screw (in the front of the grip frame) to get a lighter trigger????

No, and there was a thread on here about this very problem. A few recommend that I do that so I did. And it worked.

No, and there was a thread on here about this very problem. A few recommend that I do that so I did. And it worked.

This looks like Herman Cain's answer on abortion.

So did you do that (back off the strain screw) or not?

So if I buy a GP100, and I back the screw out and it light strikes, will ruger suck then?

I didn't back the screw out, not sure why Bob and Chris are saying that. I love my 686 as it was my first ever handgun so it's staying put.

Then you will have to try my newest addition. You know my aversion to stainless guns. This is a Model 25-2.

And Yes, of course I owned one of these once before and sold it. :)

pix799317234.jpg

I picked this beauty up from the range last night. Threw on a spare set of Wood N frame S&W Target grips I had laying around, and shot a few moon clips worth of 45ACP. I would've shot more but I need to switch primer setups on my press and load more 45 ammo. As a bonus, the gun came with a nice wood presentation case and cleaning tools. My worries about oversized chamber throat seemed to be unwarranted. While I had a tough time measuring the throat with my calipers, the gun grouped really well with 230 grain Montana Gold FMJ at 20 yards off a rest. I think I found a keeper.

That last statement notwithstanding, Matt is first on my "sell to" list. :)

Chris I don't think it's possible for you to have a keeper, I think eventually you will sell something, it may not be today or a year from now but sooner or later you will :p

And thanks for the first on the list, this would be a very nice compliment to the 625 I have sitting in the safe.

Chris I don't think it's possible for you to have a keeper, I think eventually you will sell something, it may not be today or a year from now but sooner or later you will :p

And thanks for the first on the list, this would be a very nice compliment to the 625 I have sitting in the safe.

You only keep your position in line if you promise not to send the gun off to be hard chromed or nickle plated. :p