hd2000fxdl

OBRPC Action Steel Saturday 11/12

Who owns the knockdown steel plates we used last Saturday? If they belong to the club, what is the possibility of getting enough people together and doing our own event during the winter? Kinda stinks that that was the last event of the year. Shooting paper is boring................

I went to the range today with a box of clays, stuck them in the dirt, and blasted-away with my AK and .40 cal. Too nice to stay indoors! :icon_mrgreen:

what time did you get there, looks like someone was hitting some clays in pit 5 before I got there and set up my own clays. The knock down plates are not openly available, but I'm always down for some group shoots.

Who owns the knockdown steel plates we used last Saturday? If they belong to the club, what is the possibility of getting enough people together and doing our own event during the winter? Kinda stinks that that was the last event of the year. Shooting paper is boring................

I went to the range today with a box of clays, stuck them in the dirt, and blasted-away with my AK and .40 cal. Too nice to stay indoors! :icon_mrgreen:

Mike I mentioned at the match that Jon knew about a supplier of steel and I am going to start a new thread about that in just a few minutes, It's not that same size as the one we were shooting, but I will have to look buy I think they are 1/2" AR500 plates with a hole in them to use what ever mounting you want. I think they only come in 3 pack sets and are running about 80 or 90 bucks a set, I confirm in the new thread but IIRC one of each, 4". 6", 8" round plates. I was planing on picking up 2 sets and I am up for meeting over the winter and doing some practice, god knows I need it.

Mike,

Indoor static steel starts next month! Buy the frangible ammo at the match! A real hoot!

Dave

Dave, where the heck have you been, haven't seen you around here for a while. I'm looking forward to shooting at the indoor matches when I can, and as the other poster asked, any idea on pricing for the frangible ammo?

Also what about 22LR, can you shoot that at these matches, I myself would be using a pistol if it's allowed but a rule on 22LR rifle for the others would be a good idea, being that would be the next questions if we can shoot pistol 22's.

Mike one more thing, the club steel wold be great if we could use it, the only problem would be while there are many of us that would treat it like we owned it and use it properly, there are too many who would destroy it by shooting it with calibers that you shouldn't shoot it with, I'd bet they would last a week before you had all of them destroyed with 308 and 7.62X39 & 54R.

If I remember correctly there was a large heavy, very heave rack that I think belonged to another club, probably CJ that was trashed a few months ago, it's a shame that the few hurt the many. Plus you don't want to think about what the cost to the club would be to replace them, I figure the steel along on last stage we shot probably cost the club well over a grand, not to mention the cost of the post stands are probably just shy of a grand them selves.

I would certainly be up to buying a small set of steels, making some stands (I can weld), and seeing if a few other members would want to do the same. Then we can all meet and bring our own stuff there and run our own program. I just don't know what the clubs rules are regarding doing something like that. Obviously safety is the primary concern. Is there such a thing as a "certified" Range Officer? If so, then one of the members would need to be one. I prefer static steel from a safety standpoint. While I do like to move-around and shoot, that is when things can really go wrong, IE: moving with your finger on the trigger, dropping a mag and bending over to pick it up, where is the gun pointed while doing that, etc.....

I would certainly be up to buying a small set of steels, making some stands (I can weld), and seeing if a few other members would want to do the same. Then we can all meet and bring our own stuff there and run our own program. I just don't know what the clubs rules are regarding doing something like that. Obviously safety is the primary concern. Is there such a thing as a "certified" Range Officer? If so, then one of the members would need to be one. I prefer static steel from a safety standpoint. While I do like to move-around and shoot, that is when things can really go wrong, IE: moving with your finger on the trigger, dropping a mag and bending over to pick it up, where is the gun pointed while doing that, etc.....

Mike we can setup and run our own practice sessions, rules I/we would live by doing that are the same rules we use at the match, no need for a RO, but I have run people before and Maks is setting up a RO class with Jim N. for sometime in the future, probably in January sometime, so we would eventually have someone that was RO certified anyway, and I think some of the folks that would be up for doing something like this were also interested in taking the class.

As far as moving, not an issue, no breaking the 180, finger off trigger anytime you move unless your engaging a target etc, actually it's good practice to engage targets as you are both moving towards and away, being you will be doing this when shooting IPSC anyway. Like I said good practice, I have seen people trip and fall both landing on their gun as well as landing like they were superman, no AD, if your finger isn't on the trigger the triggers not getting pulled. I'd don't know an AD to me is gun malfunction, any other discharge of a gun is the operator and a ND to me. Thats why it's actually very good to practice doing more then just standing like a manikin shooting, the more you practice keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction the better chance if you ever did have a ND, you just sent a round in a direction thats not going to injure anyone or any thing.

Ooooh I like the direction this is headed. I'd be down with getting a set or two. I bet Elvis would be also.