Also, (sorry for double post btw) anyone know how to adjust it's sights for windage?

You adjust the front sight for windage on saiga's and ak's. There's a utg/ncstar front sight adjustment tool that you can buy from ebay or amazon for less than $10 bucks.

this one:http://www.amazon.com/SKS-Front-Sight-Ajustment-Tool/dp/B000TN1QVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321317389&sr=8-1

without a tool, you can use a hammer and wooden dowel to push the sight right or left.

Screwing the front sight up or down is for elevation. Using the tool, by placing the sight in between the C-clamp can push the sight left or right.

move the fire control group to where it belongs and install a tapco G2.. you will not believe that it is the same rifle.. do that before get a "red dot" and if you do get a reflex optic.. Ultimak gas tube rail is the best way to go as it will allow you to co-witness the iron sights.. further.. buy the sight tool.. they are not costly and make adjusting the sight much easier..

He didn't have ear protection either... Hes not a usual "shooting" buddy but we go way back and when he heard i was getting a saiga he wanted in for the test shoot. it was a last minute deal so i didnt have time to grap spare plugs or glasses and he opted to shoot anyway.

But yea I'll be ordering the tool tomorrow (bank account is a little deflated after getting carried away with some mags/ammo). I picked up a sgm mag for it and it barely fits. you literally need to put all your force into it to get it to lock into place. the factory mag is very easy. Is this common of aftermarket magazines? I was led to believe that sgm/surefire were the best ones...

Also anyone know of any writeups on how to pin magazines? I would like to get some galil 30 rounders and a feed ramp and just pin them to 15.

Thanks

He didn't have ear protection either... Hes not a usual "shooting" buddy but we go way back and when he heard i was getting a saiga he wanted in for the test shoot. it was a last minute deal so i didnt have time to grap spare plugs or glasses and he opted to shoot anyway.

But yea I'll be ordering the tool tomorrow (bank account is a little deflated after getting carried away with some mags/ammo). I picked up a sgm mag for it and it barely fits. you literally need to put all your force into it to get it to lock into place. the factory mag is very easy. Is this common of aftermarket magazines? I was led to believe that sgm/surefire were the best ones...

Also anyone know of any writeups on how to pin magazines? I would like to get some galil 30 rounders and a feed ramp and just pin them to 15.

Thanks

surefire makes good magazines.. I just sold 4 15 rounders on this board..

pinned 30 round mags are kind of silly because you end up with a mag 2x as big as it needs to be with only half the ammo...

take the money you would spend on mags and other goodies and convert the gun.. it will net a far better shooting experience.. night and day...

So your buddy decides to shoot your rifle without eye or ear protection. Let's say something impossible happens, and the rifle malfunctions.....causing damage to his eyes or ears. You're now open to a lawsuit because you let him shoot YOUR rifle without the proper safety equipment. I'm not trying to play daddy, just let you know that it's a little more serious that you may think.

So your buddy decides to shoot your rifle without eye or ear protection. Let's say something impossible happens, and the rifle malfunctions.....causing damage to his eyes or ears. You're now open to a lawsuit because you let him shoot YOUR rifle without the proper safety equipment. I'm not trying to play daddy, just let you know that it's a little more serious that you may think.

unless his friend is a minor.. I am pretty sure his friend is liable for his own stupidity..

I clearly explained it wasn't a good idea. If he wants to risk it that's on him.

Anyways I just like how the Galil mags look. Not to mention they're less then half the price of the surefire. But if it's a hassle to modify them I won't bother.

On another note, anyone know of a more "traditional" looking forearm? Preferably in black...most of what I can find looks like a big tatical mess

also.. if you want to use galil magazines I am pretty sure you can install a bullet guide and then the mags as far as I understand can be fitted.. but again.. that time.. effort.. and cost could be directed to converting the weapon to pistol grip which would net you a FAR better shooting experience.. there are a handful of Saigas floating around that I put together and I have yet to hear of anyone being disappointed.. the information that I am giving you is far more useful than what might "look cool"..

This is the kind of feedback I hear...

You said to give you a yell, so here it is: That gun you converted ...... is simply AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took it to my outdoor range (finally) and put a hundred rounds through it. I put a red dot on it, took about 5 shots to get it sighted-in. I was shooting from 15 yards, groups were the size of a quarter, I was very, very impressed!

I need to know what stuff I need to buy, the trigger group being the most important thing. Whatever is in the gun you did is what I want for the other one too. Not sure what stock to use yet. The one you did seems too nice to use outdoors in the 3 gun matches when you have to throw it on the ground when you switch guns!

the advice I am giving you is priceless..

you can buy things that will fulfill the aesthetic aspect of the gun.. or you can focus more on how it works.. the second of the two will net you a far better experience..

this is the most important thing to understand..

for the sake of importation the fire control group of your gun has been butchered.. and now completely sucks compared to what it can be.. restoring the gun to its original configuration will make it work better..

saigafcgexpl.jpg

• Like 1

I know man converting it is definitly top of my list on things to do. Just putting it out there that after that's done I would like to add a bullet guide (about $15) so I can start using the galil mags.

And the forearm is just something I want to do ahead of time so I can become 922 compliant and begin using the 15 round mag I already have.

I know man converting it is definitly top of my list on things to do. Just putting it out there that after that's done I would like to add a bullet guide (about $15) so I can start using the galil mags.

And the forearm is just something I want to do ahead of time so I can become 922 compliant and begin using the 15 round mag I already have.

you have 14 countable parts from the factory...

hand guard is 1 countable part...

magazines are 3 countable parts...

that gets you to ten or less allowing you to use magazines of a higher capacity than when it was imported (10) so you are definitely on the right track..

good luck with the gun and if you have any questions I would be more than happy to offer any info or advice..

Thanks man, on your .223 build in that link I really like the black tapco handguard but I can't find that model on their site. Do you know I it's still aailable or one like it?

the one pictured is a Tapco hand guard but it is for AK47 not for Saiga.. and also appears to be discontinued... the new one has a bunch of useless plastic rails on it..

to use a handguard that is AK specific and not Saiga specific you need to also install a lower hand guard retainer and an AK gas tube.. that will allow use of any AK specific handguard

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Hand-guard/Detail

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-405/AK47-Saiga-gas-tube/Detail

not what I had on the 223.. but this is what I run on my 7.62.. and I LOVE this handguard..

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-742/KVAR-SAIGA-fdsh-AK47-HANDGUARD-BLACK/Detail

but.. if you decide to run a red dot.. I strongly advise mounting it to the gas tube like my 7.62 gun..

this

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16391&cat=296&page=1

with this

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-152/Ultimak-ak-dsh-47-Saiga-gas/Detail

you would still need this..

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-460/Saiga-Lower-Hand-guard/Detail

if you order from carolina shooter supply use promo code CSS to get %5 off..