Ray Ray

lock-down drill

This is part of what they want, to make sure there are no school personnel or students in the halls. But the point of the lock-down drill is that someone is on school grounds and needs to be located. So, there in lies the problem. Am I acting as a security force or to make sure the staff and students are in the classrooms?

Again, I just think you're being asked to observe and report. No one is asking you to look for the intruder.

Don't bother getting an answer from the school. Talk to the police. They will be the ones coming through the door with the guns. I would bet they have a more useful answer than the people on the school payroll.

(If it were me I would looking to give the police a master key and any kind of floorplan).

I second asking the police. You don't want to be roaming the halls when SWAT comes barging in, you may end up a victim of friendly fire or mistaken identity.

This is part of what they want, to make sure there are no school personnel or students in the halls. But the point of the lock-down drill is that someone is on school grounds and needs to be located. So, there in lies the problem. Am I acting as a security force or to make sure the staff and students are in the classrooms?

Exactly, which is why this "plan" is pathetic. What are you supposed to do if you run into an armed intruder while going through the halls? What if you check the doorknob and find the guy in the room with a hostage? What if the police are told all the students and teachers are safely in the rooms and they find you sneaking around and mistake you for a bad guy?

This whole thing puts you at risk by having you stay in a dangerous location, and puts everyone else at risk by setting you up to complicate a bad situation by stumbling into something for which you have no training or qualification.

Exactly, which is why this "plan" is pathetic. What are you supposed to do if you run into an armed intruder while going through the halls? What if you check the doorknob and find the guy in the room with a hostage? What if the police are told all the students and teachers are safely in the rooms and they find you sneaking around and mistake you for a bad guy?

This whole thing puts you at risk by having you stay in a dangerous location, and puts everyone else at risk by setting you up to complicate a bad situation by stumbling into something for which you have no training or qualification.

Do you understand he's only being asked to do this during a drill/exercise/simulation and all he's being asked to do during that drill/exercise/simulation is to "look and report"? "Look" to see if the hallways have been cleared. "Report" so the school can make adjustments to improve the process of clearing the halls.

Unless I've missed a very important piece of info, he has not been asked to do anything outside this one drill/exercise/simulation.

Do you understand he's only being asked to do this during a drill/exercise/simulation and all he's being asked to do during that drill/exercise/simulation is to "look and report"? "Look" to see if the hallways have been cleared. "Report" so the school can make adjustments to improve the process of clearing the halls.

Unless I've missed a very important piece of info, he has not been asked to do anything outside this one drill/exercise/simulation.

You obviously are not getting it so please just give it up man. It is not just for the drills but also for real emergencys.

What is the law- drill practice or drill practice + janitor walking point. If its not in your job description just tell them you dont mind checking the halls as long as you are given prior notice of the drill. They run a drill without telling you then do what you want, duck & cover with everyone else or be a hero, your choice. You confronting an unknown situation is BS for you and your family.

What I would do because I'm kind of a douchebag, is I would attend the next school board meeting, and ask the grossly overpaid, pensioned administrator what their districts protocol is regarding a lockdown procedure. I would see if his or her description matched what you were required to do. If it didn't, I would call them out on it. You'd probably get fired, but then you can sue them for:

1. Putting your life at risk

2. Wrongful termination

Then take your 66 1/3% settlement and retire young because being a janitor sucks. :sarcastichand:

Ray, i think u need to clear this up with your district before this conversation goes any further. I'm 99% sure this was asked of you for the purpose of the drill.. nothing more. I'm not sure where everyone is getting the idea it is your job to find and stop an intruder... They asked u to make sure that DURING the DRILL, no one was present in the hallways. In our district, the principal V.P and custodians go around to each classroom and make sure every door is locked light is off and no one is in the hallways, they don't actually do that in a real situation.

However, it should be abundantly clear what you should be doing in the event of a real lock-down(which obviously there seems to be some confusion). When they ask the custodians to hang around during a fire drill(to make sure all procedure is followed) that doesn't mean they should hang around during an actual real fire.

That's just my 2c from being there, having done that.