Dan

1911's In 9Mm?

PP's are applied for. I'm stuck in analysis paralysis regarding what HG I want. First it was the Sig p229 elite SS, then the p226 elite SS, then regular p226+SRT. I'm tilting towards a p226 elite SS in 9mm regarding Sigs at this time.

Though now, I'm starting to look at 1911's in 9mm. I don't own a 1911, nor do I want to go into another caliber, especially expensive .45acp (i'm not setup to reload HG ammo YET)... But I have shot some 1911's and liked them very much. Plus it seems it is an essential for anyone's collection. :)

I'm looking at Kimber's and STI's. So far the STI Trojan in 9mm has my eye, though they don't offer stainless , and their hard chrome job is an extra $300.

What do you guys think of 1911's in 9mm, and are there any other suggestions? I'm trying to stay in the $1000 area being my upper limit.

That S&W pro in SS looks sweet. Exactly what I'm looking for. I'll put that on my short list as its only $150 or so over my budget.

The SA looks pretty nice also, but I've read some so-so opinions around SA 1911's on my limited interweb searching. Anyone ever had the chance to compare first hand lets say the SA Loaded series versus the S&W Pro Series?

My wife has a Kimber 1911 in 9mm.... http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29105-kimber-custom-aegis-ii/ It is a nice firearm.

If you're looking for a firearm for home defense then I'd take the Sig route with the 226 or 229 as the extra rounds are very useful. If you're after a range firearm then the 1911 is a nice addition to any collection.

If it was me I'd probably go for the STI Spartan or STI Trojan depending on how close to the $1000 you want to get. My wife went for the Kimber as it has a lightweight frame and she prefers the looks. The feedback on Kimber quality seems to be hit and miss, however my wife's Kimber has had no issues so far.

hth

TheWombat

I am hoping to pick up my Kimber in a few weeks. Need to get the permit in hand and the cash as well. I will let you know when I have picked it up and if you feel like taking a ride up this way, you can run a few rounds through it.

I was in the same boat as you and was seriously hemming and hawing over what to buy. I walked into Ramsey and lo and behold, they had just received a Kimber in 9mm the day before. I slapped the money on it right then and there. I was between that and the Sig 226. I love the look of the 1911 and it's what I wanted, I just wasn't enthused about waiting for 5-7 months for it. I'll consider what happened to me to be Divine Intervention.

Good luck. All your choices are top notch.

C

Not for nothing... if you want a great looking, even better fit and finish 1911 in 9mm, get the Smith Wesson, or the Springfield.

The kimbers are nice blingy guns, but are absolutely hit or miss in the QC department.

I have the Smith Pro 9mm, about 5k or so, maybe 10k by now rounds, all trouble free.

Factory mag well/chute, 4.5 lb trigger with almost no overtravel or pretravel takeup, nice grips, oversized safety, and an external extractor that works.

The only thing I would potentially change, depending on the type of shooting you do, is the sights. It comes with 3 dot sights, and I would change to Fiberoptic front, black rear.

Comes with 10 round wilson mags that work.

Not one person that has shot the gun had anything bad to say about it.

STI makes a great pistol, BUT..... it still needs those nice finishes to it. If you buy from Dawson, at least you get a fiber optic front sight.

Especially 9mm and 40 S&W, you have to make sure. Unfortunately, alot of the guns out there, especially 1911's, you buy, and then need to make them run well. The Pro Series, runs well out of the box, I have not heard of one, or seen one have issues.

Kimbers, Springfields on the other hand... have seen plenty of issues, both at the public ranges, and under stress/competition environments.

Dan, you are more than welcome to shoot my smith any time, and if you want to run it during a match, I have all the gear for it, just bring the ammo.

My Springfield Loaded in 9mm was a finicky beast (would only feed long 9mm reliably- 147 grain. Shorter 115grain would choke). Feeding/Ejection is a common complaint you will hear about 9mm 1911's. The Smith and the STI are exceptions to this. There are probably others too. Not a fan of Kimbers though. To me they are the Absolut vodka of the gun world - nice packaging and premium price for a mediocre product.

My Springfield Loaded in 9mm was a finicky beast (would only feed long 9mm reliably- 147 grain. Shorter 115grain would choke). Feeding/Ejection is a common complaint you will hear about 9mm 1911's. The Smith and the STI are exceptions to this.

Really, I thought STI's liked longer loads, don't have one, but I thought I remembered hearing that. Maybe it wasn't the 9mm that they were talking about and just the .40 S&W.

Sorry Harry, maybe my punctuation was bad. I wasn't trying to imply anything about what loads STI and Smith 1911's like. I meant to say that those two brands seem to be immune to the feeding/ejection problems that plague 9mm 1911's in general.

I've owned both a 1911 in 9mm and a Browning Hi Power. While the capacity is better on the BHP, the trigger is MUCH better on a 1911. Also, the BHP was designed for 9mm so you don't read about feeding/ejection problems with them. if you want my vote between the two, I still have the Browning.

1911s in 9mm, yuck

Because I want a 1911, but I don't want to deal with adding another another caliber to my inventory. It will be for target/fun shooting, maybe competitive as well when I decide to get off my a** and jump into that.

Because I want a 1911, but I don't want to deal with adding another another caliber to my inventory. It will be for target/fun shooting, maybe competitive as well when I decide to get off my a** and jump into that.

Dan,

Hopefully you're still watching this thread and are still looking for the Smith & Wesson Pro Series 1911 in 9mm. I got mine just a couple of weeks ago at Classic Pistol in PA (I had them transfer it to Shore Shot). Classic has one as a rental which I tried and loved. As someone said on this forum (lunker? pizza bob?) it's not the caliber it's the platform. True enough. I kind of like the idea that I bought mine on the 100th anniversary. And I also wanted to stick with the 9mm round.

Anyway, the point of my post is I was talking to the owner of Classic Pistol today and he mentioned that a supplier had 3 of them available and he took them all. Not sure if he has them in stock yet, but if you are interested I would call them and reserve one (215-953-7264). My transaction was pretty painless. I paid for it over there and they shipped it 2-day and I picked it up at Shore Shot. You don't pay PA sales tax, just the shipping to NJ (which was roughly $28). Then just the transfer fee and NICS in NJ (which was roughly $53).

Hope that helps. Let us know if you pick one up and how you like it. Just make sure you know how to disassemble/reassemble (if you don't already know). It's not like any other modern gun. Luckily I had some time at Shore Shot and the guy behind the counter gave me a quick demo, and warned me about the "idiot scratch". :)

Most of the 1911's today are mass produced from piles of parts. This includes Kimber "Custom" stamped on the gun is pure marketing. Just another pile of parts gun.

Start with building the gun from piles of parts run some safety checks test fire and ship. Where is there custom smithing done?

The Pro Series whether revolver or pistol go through the same process. This is:

Parts that are changed from stock are built by specifications dictated by the PC dept

All parts are delivered to the regular production line from the PC dept

Gun is assembled and test fired by the regular production line

Then it is sent to the PC smith to check and fix what they think needs fixing. Including stoning sears, hammers or adjusting frame to slide fit.

The PC smith then tests fires the gun and makes any further adjustments. They don't ship the gun until they are satisfied. These are the same smiths that work on the Team S&W guns.

This is a big difference in quality from a pile O' parts gun. I know understand what bank vault tight means and the rails feel like glass ball bearings.