deadeye74

Can't Decide On Pistol #2...

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to the world of hand guns. I recently purchased my first pistol, a Springfield XDm .45 and have one more permit to use. Originally I wanted to make gun number two a Ruger GP100 .357 revolver with a 6" barrel, however I have been leaning towards the idea of possibly buying either a Beretta 92 .40 or Baby Desert Eagle .40. I also gave thought to the FN five seven but have been hearing that particular pistol is a bad choice due to ammo costs and many places not allowing it to be shot at their ranges.

Regardless of which way I go, I definitely want #2 to be all metal and not a plastic/metal pistol. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to which way I should go?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I think it really depends on what you want to do and what your goal is. I would definitely consider something in 9mm, .38/.357, or even .22LR. These are all common calibers.

You cannot go wrong with any of the ideas you have. A GP100 is an awesome gun and it allows you to shoot .38s as well, which will save some money. It is also a little heavier and will be nice to shoot with recoil, especially if you get a 6 inch barrel version. I would prefer, and recommend that you check out a 4 inch barrel stainless model, though, as I think it is more versatile, and you might want to get one with changeable sights (If all of the GP100s) aren't that way. I am also quite fond of the older Ruger Speed Sixes, if you can find one. The nice thing about a revolver is that it will teach you trigger control and how to really shoot if you shoot in double action. A S&W 686 is also very nice (but more expensive), but the Ruger is more of a tank, cheaper, and for those reasons appeals more to me. The Smith will probably have a better trigger, at least a stock one would over another stock one.

9mm is cheaper to shoot than your .45 and .357 and has less recoil, and still quite a formidable defensive gun, so I would definitely think about one. A CZ 75B or variants or a clone might also be a nice option in 9mm.

The Baby Eagle is also an awesome gun and could actually be my favorite amidst your list. My hangup with it is that it might be hard to get parts, magazines, etc. (even though it apparently takes CZ magazines), and it might no longer be imported again in the near future. Also, it is supposedly not recommended for higher pressure loaded ammo, although I think it would most likely handle it anyway. And just how much of it would be shot anyway? Yet, it still bothers me a little that it has that limitation. I think you will find that the newer ones have an absolutely awesome double-action trigger. It is the nicest double action trigger that I have found on a 9mm semi-automatic and its weight really enables it to be very good for double taps, etc. You should definitely like the sights and the grips, as I don't know if you can upgrade them at a later point and time. I like the semi-compact all-steel version of the Baby Eagle II the best. Spare magazines might be costly and hard to find.

An alternative might be the original, the CZ 75B, and there are probably lots more options for upgrading, etc. In particular, the matte or brushed stainless versions are AWESOME, and I would welcome one if it had a decocker. As long as you're in the neighborhood, check out another sibling, the Witness in all steel, or the CZ 75 Compact or SP-01.

The CZ 75B (cast steel) and Beretta 92 are beautiful pistols.

The Beretta 92 (forged aluminum frame) is awesome as well, but just make sure that the grip size is comfortable in your hands; they are large. If you have larger hands you should be just fine, and there are probably a lot of cheap and plentiful parts for it such as holsters and magazines. I would suggest you look into one with an upgradable front sight, though. If that is the route you are considering, then I would look at the PX4 (awesome trigger) and the 92A1 (upgradable sight), also.

You might want to check out an SIG 229, as well.

Something to think about might also be a 22LR. As for a .22, these are cheap to shoot and can be a lot of fun. I would definitely consider one, and you might want to check out the forums for a used one. If it is still available, you could never go wrong with a Smith and Wesson 617 that was recently listed, and it should hold its used value quite well. I find a revolver has a lot of benefits at the range, some of them being trigger control and it easy to load and cleanup (as the shells aren't all over all around you), and lastly they tend to be quite accurate. If I had a permit that was ready and the cash, I would definitely consider the used one for sale in stainless with the 10-round cylinder.

You could also consider a Ruger Mark II or III, a Ruger SP101 22LR, or a GSG 1911-22 (Sig 1911-22). All of these would be fine choices and fun to shoot.

If it was me, I would get the 617 on the forum (if still available), and get another permit for either a CZ 75B or a Beretta 92A1 in the relative near future.

The Baby Eagle is also an awesome gun and could actually be my favorite amidst your list. My hangup with it is that it might be hard to get parts, magazines, etc. (even though it apparently takes CZ magazines), and it might no longer be imported again. Also, it is supposedly not recommended for higher pressure loaded ammo. Although, I think it would most likely handle it anyway, and just how much of it would be shot anyway? Yet, it still bothers me a little. I think you will find that the newer ones have an absolutely awesome double-action trigger. It is the nicest double action trigger that I have found on a 9mm semi-automatic and its weight really enables it to be very good for double taps, etc. You should definitely like the sights and the grips, as I don't know if you can upgrade them at a later point and time. I like the semi-compact all-steel version of the BAby Eagle II the best.

Nothing wrong with it. Baby eagle is made by tanfoglio (Italy) for BUL (israel) and imported as the Baby Eagle by Magnum Research.

It is a CZ clone, meaning it takes mostly CZ parts. Trigger out of the box is fantastic, about 8.5 lbs DA, and 4.5 SA. Amazing ergonomics, better in my opinion than the CZ's.

Takes CZ mags (for 9mm), 45 uses large frame Tanfoglio magazines.

Alternatives are the EAA Witness Pistols. Made by Tanfoglio, CZ clones, imported by EAA.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to the world of hand guns. I recently purchased my first pistol, a Springfield XDm .45 and have one more permit to use...

What do you want to do with it?

Compete? Just have fun once every month?

Remember that .40 and .45 are very expensive siblings... if 500 rounds gets you through a year, get whatever you like.

Unless you know exactly what you want, I would suggest that you get something in good to almost-new condition that can be had for a good price in the used department. Then if you don't like it and decide to sell it, you won't be out too much and could even make a small profit. Guns depreciate a lot from new to just owned in new unfired condition.

The .40 cal Beretta is a model 96 not 92, as the 92 is 9mm. Awesome pistol. Really cant go wrong with that platform. Beretta also currently make the 96A1 which is the .40 with a rail. Check out their website. My personal favorite is the commercial M9 version. Comes in a cardboard box and retaines that straight dust cover. Oh yeah, it also says US M9 on the slide.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to the world of hand guns. I recently purchased my first pistol, a Springfield XDm .45 and have one more permit to use. Originally I wanted to make gun number two a Ruger GP100 .357 revolver with a 6" barrel, however I have been leaning towards the idea of possibly buying either a Beretta 92 .40 or Baby Desert Eagle .40. I also gave thought to the FN five seven but have been hearing that particular pistol is a bad choice due to ammo costs and many places not allowing it to be shot at their ranges.

Regardless of which way I go, I definitely want #2 to be all metal and not a plastic/metal pistol. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to which way I should go?

Thanks,

Rich

I have shot the Beretta and the Baby Eagle at Shore Shot where they have them on the rental list - albeit I shot them in 9mm. The Baby Eagle was very very nice, I almost bought one. If it were me I'd take the Baby Eagle over the Beretta every time.

As others have mentioned, also consider the CZ 75s and the Sigs. These are also very nice options.

hth

TheWombat

I think you can go one of three routes.

If you want an all-metal gun, I would go with a 1911. This does two things:

#1. You keep commonality of caliber so are not buying a second type of ammunition.

#2. If you buy a 1911, you can also buy a .22 Caliber Conversion Kit for the gun. This will let you fire cheaper .22 caliber ammunition.

#3. You will find it surprisingly similar in ergonomics to your XD.

*Or* look into the Beretta 92. 9mm is cheaper to shoot than .45, and you can get a .22 conversion kit for the 92.

I would personally stay away .40 caliber guns. I have nothing against the caliber. It's fine if you are law enforcement and get free boxes from your department. But it doesn't bring much to the table over 9mm and costs $2.00 more per box. You already have a fine home defense gun with your Springfield XD 45, there is no reason to augment it with a more exotic caliber.

*Or* like this_is_nascar said, look into a .22 caliber revolver. Its cheap and fun to shoot.

I finally made my decision and purchased my second pistol today. After spending some time at Arms N Ammo, I decided on the Taurus PT1911 chambered in 9mm.

A huge +1 for Paul. He's a pleasure to do business with!

This was not one of the guns that we all discussed here or I was originally considering, but after looking at the other pistols, it just felt right when I put it in my hand. Tomorrow I will be taking her out to the range for her first firing!

Thanks again everyone for your input!

I finally made my decision and purchased my second pistol today. After spending some time at Arms N Ammo, I decided on the Taurus PT1911 chambered in 9mm.

A huge +1 for Paul. He's a pleasure to do business with!

This was not one of the guns that we all discussed here or I was originally considering, but after looking at the other pistols, it just felt right when I put it in my hand. Tomorrow I will be taking her out to the range for her first firing!

Thanks again everyone for your input!

That is the most important thing! Can't replace real hands-on with magazine articles, internet chatter, etc......

And yes, Paul is a great guy to deal with. I went there to buy a Saiga rifle (which I did) and found a S/A 1911 that just felt great in my hand, so I had him put it aside until I had a PPP and went-back and got it.

I have shot the Beretta and the Baby Eagle at Shore Shot where they have them on the rental list - albeit I shot them in 9mm. The Baby Eagle was very very nice, I almost bought one. If it were me I'd take the Baby Eagle over the Beretta every time.

As others have mentioned, also consider the CZ 75s and the Sigs. These are also very nice options.

hth

TheWombat

I would love to try one of the new compact or semi-compact Baby Eagle IIs in steel, although if I do, I think I might need to get one.

Maxsim, do you know if the compact models will take the full size CZ75 magazines?