9X19

Close To Picking Out A .40

Got it narrowed down to two choices for my first .40, (I already own a .45ACP and a 9mm).

Glock 22 Gen 4, or a Springfield XD Tactical 40. I like full size handguns.

Looking for pros and cons on both please. I like certain features on each gun. The Glock is slightly in the lead.

Am I missing anything? Appreciate any feedback from Glock and Springfield owners.

Thanks.

Mostly range use. I have heard good things about the gen 4 dampened recoil. I like the fact that they hold 15rds, and are somewhat indestructible. The funny part is they never felt good in my hands until the gen 4's came out.

I shot my buddys H&K. Very snappy gun in that caliber. I agree the CZ's are nice though.

I have never had a memorable situation with my Glock in 40S&W... the ONLY failures were operator error.. and they were few and far between...

I own and carry both a 23 and a 27... I trust my life to both..

glock.. light.. affordable.. accurate enough... extremely reliable.. easy to clean/work on..

only con is its block profile which makes concealed carry slightly more awkward than SOME of the other choices..

Either one would be a fine choice.

I would lean toward the Glock 22 (or a 23), and get a 9mm conversion barrel for it. It's hard to tell when you don't indicate what you want it for.

I know ou want a full size one, but for defense and versatility, I would get a Glock 23 and some extra Glock 22 magazines (and a 9mm conversion barrel for kicks). For a range gun, I would look at a CZ 75B or variant in .40 S&W. As Maxim suggests, checkout a Witness steel, OR, a Baby Eagle II in .40 S&W.

If I was going to get a .40 and didn't want a Glock, I would personally look at an FNH FNX 40. I do not like the grip safety on the XD40 and it has a higher bore axis.

my recommendation is based on the assumption that you shoot well with a Glock.. Obviously you should have handled and ideally shot a gun prior to purchasing it..

some people find Glocks incredibly uncomfortable and difficult to shoot.. others do not..

what works for me.. what works for the rest of the people posting is moot.. since a handgun is a pretty personal choice..

with all the personal preference aside I have had nothing but positive experiences with Glocks..

Based on the original options of Springfield or Glock then I personally found the Springfields to be more comfortable to hold and found I achieved tighter groupings with the Springfield.

Ideally find somewhere you can rent both!

If other options are a consideration then also check out the Walther PPQ as it comes in .40, although the general consensus on the Walther forum is that it is better as a 9mm.

hth

TheWombat

I find it interesting that everyone says find the one that's most comfortable in your hand. I have to disagree. I find that the Beretta PX4 to feel more comfortable in my hand, but I still shoot Glock better. The best advice would be to shoot the different models, not just go by feel.

I have not really looked at the M&P's that much. I have handled the Gen 4's at a shop, and also had chance to field strip it. I have not had a chance to shoot a Glock or the Springfield yet. My only experience shooting a .40 was the H&K. The Glock from everything I have read seems pretty good. I really want a full size gun, as that is what feels most comfortable in my hands. I also like the price tag on the Glock. Should have my permits in about a week.

I guess I will have to rent each one and see. I appreciate all of the good comments here.

Thanks again.

Go shoot them both.

Dave, re your comment, about accurate vs comfortable. I shoot glocks very very well, but I don't like shooting them. That is why I have a like new in box Glock 37 avail for sale. You got to enjoy the gun you are shooting.

Walther in 40, I would skip. The gun is wayyy to light, and recoil is a bit on the harsh side. P99 in 40, great pretty gun, but was a safe queen along with a Sig SP 2032 or whatever it was in 40 cal.

Glocks are just one step above that in the comfort department, at least for me. I cannot say anything negative about Glock reliability, as it is not bad, but at the same time, you are not buying a Bryco, Hi-Point, Skyy, or some other POS. Glocks, CZ, S&W M&P's, XD's, and even taurus will perform reliably.

These are not some high end race guns with tolerances so sight anything not to spec will cause issues. These are duty guns designed to be reliable, giving up some tolerances in order to do so.

If you are dead set on 40 cal, shoot the Glock, shoot the XD, shoot the M&P, then go find a solid hunk of metal, Sig P226, CZ 75, EAA Witness chambered in 40 cal. Odds are, you will prefer one of those over the plastic fantastic.

in less snappy calibers, nothing wrong with plastic.

Like Maks said, def fire each gun you are considering prior to purchasing it.

I personally went with the M&P in .40. Liked its ergonomics much more than the glock and springfield.

If I wanted to spend the extra money I would have went with an all metal gun, but have been very happy with the M&P.

Why not 9mm? In hindsight I wish I went 9 on my full size gun b.c I also have a sub-compact which is a 9mm, would have been nice and easy, not to mention cheaper if I had the same caliber...

I have a 9mm Beretta M9...Should I be looking at a G17 Gen 4? In the past I have have owned more then 1 gun in the same caliber so that is not an issue. I even considered the G17 Gen 4 at first, but I heard negative commments about the guide rod spring being too strong. Has Glock corrected this?

no one can answer any of this for you.. I prefer plastic guns because they are lighter.. the flip side to that is some dont BECAUSE they are lighter.. lol so you really just need to get in some range time to see what works for you.. 40 in glock works for me.. that is why I have two.. both of which I carry.. if they did not I would own something else.. but they DONT work as well for others.. so you just have to see.. lol

Makes sense to me Vlad. It will be my first plastic gun and I really prefer to get a .40 this time. I will rent the Gen 4, the XD and maybe a M&P to see which one feels and shoots the best for me.

Thanks again.

Makes sense to me Vlad. It will be my first plastic gun and I really prefer to get a .40 this time. I will rent the Gen 4, the XD and maybe a M&P to see which one feels and shoots the best for me.

Thanks again.

and then you may decide a plastic 40 is not for you. =)