tony357

Big bear for NJ...

so what did he shoot it with? I sure as hell wont be caught dead looking for bears with a muzzle loader... shotguns are less then ideal as well and rifles are illegal to hunt with....

I'd be willing to bet he took it with a 12 or 20 ga. slug gun.

so what did he shoot it with? I sure as hell wont be caught dead looking for bears with a muzzle loader... shotguns are less then ideal as well and rifles are illegal to hunt with....

Maybe a bow?

I find it disconcerting that hunters aren't allowed to carry pistols to back up their primary weapon... I'd hate to have a weapon malfunction and a bear coming for me...

• Like 1

Maybe a bow?

I find it disconcerting that hunters aren't allowed to carry pistols to back up their primary weapon... I'd hate to have a weapon malfunction and a bear coming for me...

I do not believe that bowhunting for bear in NJ is legal.... I thought only shotgun slug or muzzleloader were the only legal ways to hunt bears in NJ.

Wow, that thing is MASSIVE. That really makes me anxious, I frequently backpack the AT and other trails in north western NJ and I would NOT want that thing coming up on my friends and I hiking.

That is one reason why I wish we could carry, or at least carry a firearm during outdoor activities such as hiking/backpacking. But my bear spray should work alright...hopefully haha.

Wow, that thing is MASSIVE. That really makes me anxious, I frequently backpack the AT and other trails in north western NJ and I would NOT want that thing coming up on my friends and I hiking.

That is one reason why I wish we could carry, or at least carry a firearm during outdoor activities such as hiking/backpacking. But my bear spray should work alright...hopefully haha.

You do not have to fear black bears period! The inner city animals and your legilators are much more dangerous.

• Like 2

12 and 20ga slugs are the only legal ways to take bear in NJ at this time.

ETA: My slug gun is a single-shot firing 546gr sabot slugs w/ 3700lb-ft of energy at the muzzle. I would not feel undergunned shooting at a bear with it.

12 and 20ga slugs are the only legal ways to take bear in NJ at this time.

REQUIREMENTS

Bear hunters must have a current and valid NJ Firearm Hunting or All-around Sportsman License and Black Bear Season Permit to participate in the bear hunting season. Firearms are restricted to shotguns not smaller than 20 gauge nor larger than 10 gauge, shooting slugs and affixed with adjustable open iron or peep sights or a scope; or a muzzleloading rifle not less than .44 caliber shooting a single projectile.Hunters may hunt by stand hunting, still-hunting or drive hunting. It is illegal to take or attempt to take a bear in a den.

http://www.state.nj....as11outlook.htm

You do not have to fear black bears period! The inner city animals and your legilators are much more dangerous.

I disagree. Yes Black bear attacks are rather rare but still once they do decide to attack they will attack until either you or they are dead. You can submit to a Grizzley (roll over fetal, play dead etc) and chances are he might quit and leave you alone but not a Black bear. Once your in a fight with a Black bear it's for life - yours or his!

I disagree. Yes Black bear attacks are rather rare but still once they do decide to attack they will attack until either you or they are dead. You can submit to a Grizzley (roll over fetal, play dead etc) and chances are he might quit and leave you alone but not a Black bear. Once your in a fight with a Black bear it's for life - yours or his!

Sarcasm meeter broke, huh??? :icon_mrgreen:

I'll take my chances with a black bear compared to a grizzly. Black bears are not as unpredictable as grizzlies.

Grizzlies are aptly named too; Ursus arctos horribilis. There is a reason the grizzly is protected in many areas today because they were hunted/exterminated to almost extinction. They were more feared by settlers moving West than the black bear. It's the proliferation of protected grizzly bears in parks that prompted legalizing firearm carry in National Parks for defense, not the black bear.

I'll take my chances with a black bear compared to a grizzly. Black bears are not as unpredictable as grizzlies.

Grizzlies are aptly named too; Ursus arctos horribilis. There is a reason the grizzly is protected in many areas today because they were hunted/exterminated to almost extinction. They were more feared by settlers moving West than the black bear. It's the proliferation of protected grizzly bears in parks that prompted legalizing firearm carry in National Parks for defense, not the black bear.

Sure, because you're more likely to be attacked by a brown bear (grizzley) then a black bear but still the smaller black bear will be intent on killing you if he does attack. At that point it's a fight to the death. The grizzley may well kill you too but it is well documented that if you submit and cover up (because you cant escape) he may give up the fight and walk away. Good thing for us that black bears are so predictable.

Sure, because you're more likely to be attacked by a brown bear (grizzley) then a black bear but still the smaller black bear will be intent on killing you if he does attack. At that point it's a fight to the death. The grizzley may well kill you too but it is well documented that if you submit and cover up (because you cant escape) he may give up the fight and walk away. Good thing for us that black bears are so predictable.

It's been documented that if a human fights back with a black bear the human stands a better chance of living out the fight compared to a grizzly, brown or polar bear attack. Indian lore likened the black bear as created by the Great Spirit. The grizzly was created by the Evil Spirit. There was a reason they got that moniker.

New Jersey's bear activist Angie Mettler thinks black bears are not dangerous at all. :rolleyes:

It's been documented that if a human fights back with a black bear the human stands a better chance of living out the fight compared to a grizzly, brown or polar bear attack. Indian lore likened the black bear as created by the Great Spirit. The grizzly was created by the Evil Spirit. There was a reason they got that moniker.

New Jersey's bear activist Angie Mettler thinks black bears are not dangerous at all. :rolleyes:

that lady has a screw loose in her head.... i was hoping the bear attacked her stupid a$$