Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Who Hunts Large Game with a .223Rem

I'm planning on going to Florida to shoot hogs in the spring. My first thought was a handgun. I can handle that. I have the handguns and ammo if I go that way.

Now I 've got the crazy idea of using a 16" AR. Does anybody have any bullet reccomendation in the 68-75gr range?

they seem to be limited.

75grs I think is about the max as I'm shooting a 1:7 barrel but COL is going to be the issue in a mag fed rifle.

Gotta leave some room for powder,,,you know :good:

The round is perfectly legal for deer in N.Y. state and a few folks I know use it. (My uncle shot quite a few deer with his Sako .222 Remington, a similar round.) A hog may be tougher than a deer, but shot placement is still key.

Good article with suggestions for bullet selection:

http://www.americanh...r-deer-hunting/

If you can use your ar15 pig hunting i would be all over it..

Secondly i would love to do this with a pistol.

1st being the dessert eagle 44 mag.

2nd being ruger redhawk 44 mag.

I would use hornady 300 gr xtp

I'm setting up two revolvers for this hunt,

For me an old Super Blackhawk 44mag 5 shot one empty chamber ...LOL

The second is a Super Redhawk 44mag. I'm just kind of argueing with the Redhawk guy that he should shoot 240gr HP's and doesn't need soft pts

The AR was for back-up

I'm setting up two revolvers for this hunt,

For me an old Super Blackhawk 44mag 5 shot one empty chamber ...LOL

The second is a Super Redhawk 44mag. I'm just kind of argueing with the Redhawk guy that he should shoot 240gr HP's and doesn't need soft pts

Frank i have some 325 gr slugs if your friend really wants to have some fun.

The AR was for back-up

Now I'm dealing with a casual shooter, first time hunter. Now this guy is an excellent shot on paper. But, In a few months we have to get him familiar with the handgun, a couple of hundred rounds of practice then move him over to 50 rounds of practice with his hunting load.

So I think Reed, 325 grains may be over the top. Recoil must be stout!

Now I'm dealing with a casual shooter, first time hunter. Now this guy is an excellent shot on paper. But, In a few months we have to get him familiar with the handgun, a couple of hundred rounds of practice then move him over to 50 rounds of practice with his hunting load.

So I think Reed, 325 grains may be over the top. Recoil must be stout!

yes those 325s take the 44 to a whole new level especally behind 21g of h110 .

This should work.....

http://www.tacticalammunition.com/556X45MM-77GR-HP-OTM-NB-50-TA88-0178-TA88-0178.htm

I know you said u wanted only 75grain.... I'm not sure about barrel twist but from what I have read this ammo performance is awesome In a 1:7 twist. From what I read it spins to fast in other type barrels

Anybody following barfcom (I used to) know there are several people there that routinely kill massive pigs with heavy 5.56 OTMs. It seems like giant hogs are the easiest critters to kill on the planet.

That seems like the worst ammo choice to me, but I don't know and I can't argue with success. I would want a bonded SP bullet to make sure it goes somewhere. Better yet, a bigger one than .224.